Houston
Sponsored by

New I45 and GP projects in the near future

11,803 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://swamplot.com/big-i-45-downtown-rerouting-grand-parkway-expansion-get-go-aheads/2017-03-29/

45 is moving to the East of downtown.
Premium
AG
Wow! T&P for traffic.
The Milkman
AG
It'll cost $1.25 billion to put a 2 lane section of grand parkway between 59N and i10 east?!
Hulla Baller
AG
Wtf is I69?!
Al Bula
AG
1. Welp I will be avoiding downtown for 10 years.
2. The I-segment will be one lane in both directions. Is there a bigger scam than road construction?
JJxvi
AG
The Milkman said:

It'll cost $1.25 billion to put a 2 lane section of grand parkway between 59N and i10 east?!

I think its still grade separated and has like 20 overpasses over 40 miles so not exactly a standard two lane highway
Waffledynamics
AG
I don't understand why they're doing this. What are their actual plans for the space that's being abandoned by old I45? What's the end goal? Is this supposed to improve traffic flow long term?
Tom Hagen
AG
If they are getting rid of Pierce Elevated, I hope that they will be cleaning out all of the bums who live under there.
gougler08
AG
Waffledynamics said:

I don't understand why they're doing this. What are their actual plans for the space that's being abandoned by old I45? What's the end goal? Is this supposed to improve traffic flow long term?
This was my first question as well...how the hell will this help traffic when the CF that is the 288/59/45 interchange will still be there
BMX Bandit
Waffledynamics said:

along the route from 10 to Louisiana, there will be a parkway. from Louisiana to 59, the pierce elevated will be removed.

(this is depicted in the photograph)

This is supposed to improve traffic flow.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Where in the F are they going to put 45 next to 59 behind GRB?
Premium
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Where in the F are they going to put 45 next to 59 behind GRB?

Underground
YellAg2004
AG
I would imagine the plan requires them to buy the entire block from Chartres to St. Emanuel for the entire length from Runnels down to the current I-45/59/288 interchange.
schmellba99
AG
Exactly how is this going to be any improvement to traffic? Doesn't address any of the problem areas and seems like a monstrous waste of money to me.
TexAgs1992
I wasn't able to say anything about this for awhile as a former intern at Central Houston but this has been in the works since 2014. TxDOT was adamant on wanting to re-route the interstates in Downtown Houston and three of the four plans (including this one) seemed like disasters. Love when our city does stupid stuff.
schmellba99
AG
YellAg2004 said:

I would imagine the plan requires them to buy the entire block from Chartres to St. Emanuel for the entire length from Runnels down to the current I-45/59/288 interchange.

Yep. Will be a lot of money spent on condemnation of existing structures on the east side of 59 in that area. I'm sure property values just shot through the roof as well.
CDUB98
AG
The I-45 change seem like a really stupid idea to me. I'd need to see the full plans and discuss with the engineers to be convinced this will improve traffic.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
schmellba99 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Yep. Will be a lot of money spent on condemnation of existing structures on the east side of 59 in that area. I'm sure property values just shot through the roof as well.
as a homeowner in EaDo, I am cool with that.
YellAg2004
AG
Does any of this plan have to do with the condition of the Pierce elevated? It seems like they're just moving I-45 from one ROW-constrained location to another ROW-constrained location. The ROW constraints are a given since it's going through downtown, but it seems like there's more driving it other than being able to add 1-2 lanes in each direction. The thing that jumps to mind is that the Pierce is in poor condition and it's easier to build an entirely new freeway in a new location than rehab/replace the Pierce in its current location. You have any insight on that?
schmendeler
AG
why are you guys acting like this is new information? it's been public for a couple years now.

from april 2015:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Massive-I-45-project-would-remove-Pierce-6217572.php

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Here is the full ******ed plan
YellAg2004
AG
I think everyone knows that this has been discussed for awhile. The change is that the state-level approval of the plan was given yesterday for this massive plan to proceed forward, so it's no longer a "point and laugh" situation as much as it is a "holy ****, they're really going to build that" situation.
JJxvi
AG
The rationale as I understand it. It improves traffic by adding a ****-ton of new lanes (albeit in a new location, which doesnt really matter (theoretically) as the Pierce has no entrances and exits and serves no local destinations anyway, they are only through lanes). The Pierce elevated cannot be widened, likely because it would be tons of money just to acquire ROW and would likely need to acquire property owned by some pretty large and powerful organizations (like say maybe the catholic church or the federal government). It's likely much more feasible to acquire ROW in east downtown which in a lot of areas is cheaper wasteland, and getting rid of the Pierce elevated allows them to sell the land under it to offset some of the costs of acquiring ROW that they will need. Calling this an I-45 project in the downtown zone is kind of a misnomer, they are rerouting the 45 through lanes, yes, but really the project is a massive expansion of I-10 and US59/I69 by almost doubling the capacity of each in the area.

Most people I talk to act like the freeway on the east side of downtown will basically be staying the same, but under this plan its turning into a huge ****ing superfreeway that is two entire city blocks wide and includes 3 lane feeder roads.
CDUB98
AG

Yeah, this has noooooo chance of ever flooding....

Premium
AG
Waffledynamics said:

I'm guessing someone has grand plans for their personal property holdings on the west side of downtown. Usability and property values should skyrocket not having one of the most major freeways anywhere running through their backyard - with closest proximity to downtown.

One of the more interesting things I've seen online is an elevated workout / exercise park. I like the idea
JJxvi
AG
Personally, from an aesthetic standpoint, I like the plan. There is no need for downtown to be ringed by elevated freeways on all sides, particularly one like the Pierce, which is just flyover lanes with no local traffic. Its awfully expensive though, and I suspect is going to take a long, long time to complete. I would assume that the Pierce will serve traffic until the rest is finished, I hope.
JJxvi
AG
Link to the original thread...

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2503391/1
schmendeler
AG
CDUB98 said:

Yeah, this has noooooo chance of ever flooding....

well, isn't flooding of roadways kind of part of the plan?
Bucketrunner
It would be nice if the cluster that is 290 could be completed in my lifetime. Here's hoping they don't hire that construction firm.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Bucketrunner said:

It would be nice if the cluster that is 290 could be completed in my lifetime. Here's hoping they don't hire that construction firm.
That damn Mexican owned company that screwed the pooch better not get a portion of this. Most of the other contractors are doing a decent job. They are not nearly as bad as 45 South
ZEEB
AG
Will it flood?
CDUB98
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Me and my fellow engineers were just discussing 290 and it's zombie-like perpetual construction.

There were several firms who did the final design from what I understand.
CDUB98
AG
aggieZephyr said:

Will it flood?
Is this Houston?
TexAgs1992
YellAg2004 said:

Does any of this plan have to do with the condition of the Pierce elevated? It seems like they're just moving I-45 from one ROW-constrained location to another ROW-constrained location. The ROW constraints are a given since it's going through downtown, but it seems like there's more driving it other than being able to add 1-2 lanes in each direction. The thing that jumps to mind is that the Pierce is in poor condition and it's easier to build an entirely new freeway in a new location than rehab/replace the Pierce in its current location. You have any insight on that?
All plans included removal of the Pierce elevated IIRC. One included a tunnel and an expressway where the Pierce elevated is, one included an expressway, and one included a three-lane road both ways with greenspace. What was never proposed while I interned there was the idea this would be apart of the Grand Parkway.
Jock 07
AG
ITL problems
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.