Houston
Sponsored by

Pool Builders

1,760 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by StillNotAnAggie
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posting from Home Improvement:

Looking to build an outdoor kitchen and pool in NE Houston. Any recommendations on who to use or who NOT to use? Thanks!
TRIDENT
AG
Not to hijack, but I need one in SE Houston (Clear Lake) if anyone has one they could recommend.
lctag
AG
We used Preferred Pools in Kemah and had a good experience. However, I do know that the guy who helped draw-up our pool design has since left - but they're probably still worth a quote. I would not waste anytime getting a quote from Premier Pools. I got a used car salesman vibe when we got our Premier quote. I have heard good things (but no personal experience) about McKinney Custom Pools, Rainey, AquaSport, and Decorative Pools.
Snipes
AG
I just finished my pool with Reflections.

Experience was great until i made 95% payment and then the builder become very unresponsive.

I suggest that you word contract very specifically regarding payment schedule, pool equipment delivered, chemicals provided, and warranties.

My suggestion on payment scheme is

20% when Excavation Begins
20% when gunnite is sprayed
20% at equipment delivery
20% at plaster
20% when final city approval permit is received.

Be careful with who has to maintain the pool until final delivery.

Suggest they do it, because bit overwhelming to take over maintenance unless you already had a pool before.

Better to watch them do it and learn as you go, plus they have to supply all of the chemicals.

Suggest to get rates as well for moving plumbing, electrical, etc in the contract as well.
TRIDENT
AG
Thanks Ictag and Snipes. Good suggestions and input. Much appreciated, will contact Preferred Pools and a couple others.Any input on features that you would do/not do again?
selk
AG
We used Pulliam Pools, and loved everything about the process. Contact Brad
lctag
AG
No problem. We don't have any crazy special features, but some things I have come to appreciate about our pool are as follows:

1. Variable speed pump
2. Tanning ledge large enough for loungers
3. Simple water feature is nice to listen to at night
4. Extra deck space for seating
5. In-pool margarita table (where I sit to drink a beer)

Some of these things (table, ledge) take up space, so some might prefer an extra large hot tub. Just a matter of choices I guess.
Snipes
AG
I am quite fond of

Led lights in pool that can change colors
OmniLogic that I can control pool equipment with my phone
Tanning ledge
Umbrella preset anchors in the decking
Variable speed pump
Waterfall that had made out of coping pieces from spa to pool spillover
Plenty of bench space in the pool
lctag
AG
I forgot one thing. We cut a change order at the last minute to have our builder add some more electrical outlets out in our yard - at the edges of decking/patio (not right by pool). I anticipate this to come in handy at a later date.....for who knows what (e.g, additional lighting, heater, charging something, etc.). Good luck and let us know how it goes!
TRIDENT
AG
Thanks guys, my wife and I are meeting with the first builder this weekend. Will keep y'all posted,
Teddy Perkins
AG
I've been most impressed with Waterside Poolscapes out of the builders we've met with so far. Couldn't find a bad review on them and they came with a design and quote to the first meeting. I will say that it is best to know what design you want going in to the meetings with the builders. After the first few initial meetings with builders we determined exactly what we wanted and the next few meetings with builders were much more productive and they were able to give us detailed quotes at the first meeting. I put together a short Powerpoint with the scope of work (removal of trees/landscaping and existing flagstone, artificial turf green space, rerouting sewer line, tying gutter downspouts into drainage), specs of the pool (chlorine, variable speed pump, bubblers, spray jets, ozonator, UV, autofiller, smartphone controls, water color, travertine coping and decking), the pool design drawn out on our survey to show the layout, and pictures of the features, design, water color, etc. that we like. It definitely helped focus the meeting on specific issues and concerns we had.
AggieSam02
AG
Would love to discuss your outdoor kitchen. Most pool builders don't do kitchens well. Let me know if you want us to come out or feel free to come to our retail store and showroom.

www.creekstoneoutdoors.com
brotheraggie
Post removed:
by user
StillNotAnAggie
Check with Northside Pools. It is run by a few friends of mine. They did mine and do kitchens as well. Send me an email at my user name @ gmail dot com and I will put you in touch with the right people. https://www.northsidepoolsinc.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.