Houston
Sponsored by

TruGreen or like local company in Katy/Richmond area

5,032 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Marvin_Zindler
TitanAGGIE09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was doing my entire yard previously when it was over 1 acre but now I'm down to .25 and just want to pay someone to do it and no fool with it. Anyone have any luck with these companies? I've always read mixed reviews for TruGreen and was curious on local suggestions. Thanks!
uncover&humpit
AG
Trugreen sucks. Only alternative I have is to DIY and follow Randy Lemmon's schedule.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I know.. this yard is peanuts compared to my last one that was full Bermuda and I followed Sperry's suggestions, but I really wanted to pass it off now. Will however probably breakdown and do it myself unless someone chimes in with solid suggestion.
Waltonloads08
AG
uncover&humpit said:

Trugreen sucks. Only alternative I have is to DIY and follow Randy Lemmon's schedule.

A neighbor caught their Trugreen guy pulling up, and sitting in his van for half an hour, then sticking a stake in the yard and leaving. They aren't sending their best.
Camo
Tru Green is garbage, spent $800 for 10+ treatments and my yard looks the exact same as it did last year.

Hot. Garbage.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Trugreen would have better results putting out green paint

Just follow Randy l's schedule.
Boats and Hose
AG
Just to echo what everyone else has said here: I did TruGreen all 2015-2016 and I never saw any improvements. In mid-2016 I started following Randy Lemmon's schedule and my yard looks 10x better than it ever did with TruGreen's "treatments". I wouldn't give them a dime IMO.
thenational
AG
I've used this guy for years with great results.

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Texas-Green-Dreams-281-693-0751
Teddy Perkins
AG
Seems like a ripe opportunity for someone to start a competing business to TruGreen and just follow Randy Lemmon's schedule. I'd be a customer. I've been attempting to follow it and I am only a year or so in and haven't seen much improvement. I still have clover that comes back no matter how much I use pre-emergent and post-emergent. I think my soil is just crap.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Find the products you want to use and pay your yard guys to put it out.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'm not saying you're lazy for not mowing your own yard, but good grief how much effort does it take to push a fertilizer spreader once every 3 months?
Liquid Wrench
Neighbors have a brand new True Green stake in their yard. Thanks to this thread it made me laugh.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I'm not saying you're lazy for not mowing your own yard, but good grief how much effort does it take to push a fertilizer spreader once every 3 months?

Not hard, just didn't want to fool around with it anymore. I pushed my entire 1+ acre yard in Fort Worth 3-4 times a quarter depending on what I was putting out. I enjoyed doing it but it does become a beating sometimes. We must of had a good TruGreen rep in the neighborhood because everyone with a sign had a solid yard and was comparable to my yard and my neighbors who did his own. However reviews down here were mostly poor. When I did the math I would of come out ahead using TruGreen vs what I was paying to do it myself not even considering the time investment. Just figured I would see what everyone was doing down in Houston area. If I could pay someone $40-50 a month to just do it for me I condsider it money well spent.
DuncanAg
AG
I've used Lawn of the Month (http://www.lawnofthemonth.net) for about a year and I am happy with them.
tx4guns
AG
I've been fairly happy with TruGreen. My lawn looks a lot better than my neighbor's on both sides, and it went from a lawn full of huge dead brown spots to actually having grass again in about 6 months time. They've done what I paid them to do. Once this lawn gets in good shape, I plan to drop them and do it myself, but I needed help initially.
BigPuma
AG
The Tru Green in Katy burned the **** out of my dad's yard. They had to dig up a good patch of dirt and replace it and then re-sod
combat wombat™
AG
I JUST fired TruGreen on Friday- shameful service.

I prepaid for a years' worth of service. I received nothing but sales calls. I told salesmen that I was not going to pay for any additional services because my lawn looked awful. When they called me on Friday because my account was "past due" I almost lost it. It turns out that my account auto-renewed... when I told them that I wasn't going to renew because I was not happy with their service she told me that their services were guaranteed and I should have said something. I told her I told the sales people... she told me that I didn't tell the right people. **** off. I don't care that they have obvious internal communication issues.

I just contacted yardofthemonth.com. Thanks.
Worm01
AG
Who is Randy Lemmon and where would one acquire his schedule?
JayAggie
AG
I just started with TruGreen, but I've been ruthless with them so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth because basically every time they come out, they screw something up (I'm not exaggerating) , or don't do what they say they are going to do, and I call them out on it so they send someone right way free of charge. So basically I get twice the amount of service for the price of one.

Honestly, I will probably dump them soon.

Satellite of Love
Revival03 said:

Seems like a ripe opportunity for someone to start a competing business to TruGreen and just follow Randy Lemmon's schedule. I'd be a customer. I've been attempting to follow it and I am only a year or so in and haven't seen much improvement. I still have clover that comes back no matter how much I use pre-emergent and post-emergent. I think my soil is just crap.
Clover can be beneficial to your lawn. Provide nitrogen to the soil.
combat wombat™
AG
Revival03 said:

I would pay for this service.
JayAggie
AG
Quote:

I just started with TruGreen, but I've been ruthless with them so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth because basically every time they come out, they screw something up (I'm not exaggerating) , or don't do what they say they are going to do, and I call them out on it so they send someone right way free of charge. So basically I get twice the amount of service for the price of one.

Honestly, I will probably dump them soon.

Well, finally dumped them. What an incredible waste of money. Yard looks worse than when I started with them. At first I thought I started using them after the summer so maybe everything looked like %$#@ because of the season, then I found this thread again and was like %$#@!

They tried to say "Sir, you have to give it time, and with the freeze." I was like, you had an entire summer, looked like #@$% all summer, bald spots got worse, then freeze happened....pretty sure I can figure it out myself for less money.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Just go to your local ACE and get the good stuff.
JayAggie
AG
yeah trying to decode all of Randy Lemmon's recommendations. I have a spreader and a sprayer, just need to figure out what he's talking about ang buy the right stuff. Googling away now.
Cloud
I cannot recommend milorganite fert enough. Waaaaay better results than the nitro phos stuff from Ace.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
NitroPhos is the Ace stuff. If you drop by ACE (mine at least) they will have Randy's schedule on a hand 8.5x11 piece of paper that you can hang in the garage. That will show you exactly what bags you need to buy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.