Houston
Sponsored by

Are those streetside / parking lot taco joints legal?

1,575 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agz win
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not the food trucks, but those temp looking taco joints in the more diversified parts of town. For example on, Veterans Memorial south of BW8.

Liquid Wrench
Tom Hagen
AG
If the property owners gave them permission to set up there, there is nothing wrong with engaging in free market capitalism.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The joints might be legal. The proprietors? Not so much.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
They're supposed to be licensed the same as any other restaurant; subject to inspection for all the same health codes plus a few more. Their inspection cert should be clearly posted. If you don't see a cert, dine at your own risk. Maybe chase lunch with some Imodium and a whole bottle of Pepto just to be safe.

drumboy
AG
There's a taco trailer called Tacos Jalisco on Telephone just inside 610 (straight across from the K Bars) that's really good. It operates 24 hours but I hear the lady that runs it during the day is much better than the night crew. I didn't get the shlts from it but I also didn't get the shlts eating at road side tacos stands while riding through Mexico. I did get the shlts upon return to the great USandA the first time I went to McDonalds though.
agnerd
AG
The ones on Veterans Memorial are outside city limits so they have very few rules they have to abide by. They're legal, but relatively unsafe. Notice how they all disappear as soon as you cross into the city? There's a reason for that...
CDUB98
AG
As long as they are not trying to feed the homeless for free, the city don't care.
schmellba99
AG
agnerd said:

The ones on Veterans Memorial are outside city limits so they have very few rules they have to abide by. They're legal, but relatively unsafe. Notice how they all disappear as soon as you cross into the city? There's a reason for that...
Yeah, probably has a lot to do with onerous .gov regulations and requirements to get a permit.

If the food is good, eat it. If you get the squirts, you probably have a weak immune system and needed the boost anyway. Most people in the US would never survive outside the relative sanitized confines of this country.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
agnerd said:

Meh, they're still pretty safe. Just show up at lunch and if there's a bunch of brown folk lined up it's gonna be safe and delicious.

I haven't hit a border town in years but I never once got sick off a taco cart in the street but I have gotten food poisoning from McDonald's.
Panama Red
AG
I had McDonalds on Saturday for breakfast.

The line was 8 Browns deep. Was glad to see that because I like my McGriddle to be autentico
agz win
AG
Has anyone tried the one set up next to Shipley's on North Main? It has a lot of car and foot traffic. I may try it out soon instead of my donut / Whataburger drive by.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.