Houston
Sponsored by

Moving to the area

6,265 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is a complete waste of time and life to daily commute between the Woodlands and the Galleria.

Don't be a fool.
Scientific
AG
Just look at a Google map on a Monday during peak hours & then asses your commute. As heads up, there's almost always red & maroon.
JYDog90
AG
There's at least a 30 minute commute from the med ctr to wherever you are not West U
Excellent troll by OP.
GiggityAg01
AG
Scientific said:

Just look at a Google map on a Monday during peak hours & then asses your commute. As heads up, there's almost always red & maroon.
Good point. Woodlands to the galleria is certainly asses.
MAS444
AG
I'd look at River Oaks. Centrally located, close to the hospital, no hipsters and lots of good ags.
LeftyAg89
AG
"Is The Woodlands filled with a bunch of snobby types"

This!

Kingwood has always been known as the snotty, stuck up area... However The Woodlands even looks down on Kingwood. Seriously.

It's a high percentage of rich northerners, not many "Texans". Their schools go way over the top in all the sports and extra-curriculars like band (how many 18 wheelers do they travel with?) and theater.

Just take a trip to Target on a weekday... I've worked in the Woodlands for 5+ years and made several trips to Target wearing my business casual and felt very under-dressed.. all the stay-at-home wifes/moms walking around in their mink & leopard jackets and Louis Vuitton purses... well, you get the idea!
SnowboardAg
AG
Seriously - give me a break. Maybe there are some snobby people, but I never got that feeling living there for over 13 years. It is not as diverse as other areas, but I never felt a need to keep up either. I think this response is inaccurate.
MAS444
AG
Did you not see all the mink and leopard jackets at target? It's definitely not the place for a good, friendly Ag.
Quailmeezy
AG
It's been stated numerous times already but seriously:

If you don't want to live ITL then Sugar Land is the only reasonable answer for jobs in the Galleria or Med Center.

That being said, my wife and I rent near the galleria and love it. She works in SL and I work in the Med Center. There are some great places to rent ITL and you will save so much time and be much closer to the fun parts of the city.
BMX Bandit
Why not cinco?
TXTransplant
SnowboardAg said:

Seriously - give me a break. Maybe there are some snobby people, but I never got that feeling living there for over 13 years. It is not as diverse as other areas, but I never felt a need to keep up either. I think this response is inaccurate.

This. The Woodlands is an affluent area. I think the last survey reported an average household income of over $150k/year. However, I've found it to be a very lovely community. It's very ethnically diverse (probably 20% of the houses in my neighborhood are owned by people originally from Mexico/Latin America). If anything, the great "equalizer" is income. My son did a project at our church a few years ago and made a bag of toiletries and necessities to hand out to homeless people. While I applauded his effort, I had to explain to him that there really weren't any homeless people on our neighborhood (at which point he asked me to drive him downtown so that he could give what he'd made to someone).

It's not "snobby", but there is a certain stereotype. As a single, working mother, I can tell you that there aren't a lot of women here that I have that in common with. But there are plenty of very welcoming people.

The reason why you hear a lot about The Woodlands being a "great" place to live is because, compared to the rest of Houston, The Woodlands has imposed some pretty strict building/aesthetic standards. We have (a lot of) trees. There are clear separations from commercial and residential properties. HOA rules are strictly enforced. From a visual standpoint, it kind of is a little utopian.

Does that mean it's the greatest place in the world to live? From my standpoint, no. I love it here, but I also work here. If I had to commute into town every day, it would make me crazy. As others have said, consider the impact a long commute will have on your quality of life. I think very few people who drive more than about an hour each way in Houston traffic would say that it's "worth it".
smokeythebear
AG
Moral of the story, do NOT underestimate the toll a long commute can have on your life. You should seriously consider renting for a bit before you commit to one of the suburbs. It can be well over an hour to go from the Woodlands to the Galleria and you have to do that twice a day. And then if it rains, you can add another 30 minutes either way.

Heights really is a good option for a young couple that don't have kids yet or have young kids. Close enough to actually enjoy the city of Houston and then you'll have a better idea which suburb you prefer by the time your oldest is ready for elementary school. Not sure where you got the hipster thing from, but it is in the latter half of a daunting gentrification process. Bunch of brand new townhomes next door to a few old shacks.
BowSowy
AG
I'll bet a dollar this cuck is going to get *****whipped into living in the woodlands and will hate his GD life every single minute he's stuck on 45.

He'll talk about property value, low crime rate, and good schools as a way of justifying his 4 hr commute. And he'll get home just in time for some starfish sex with his wife*

*assuming she allows him to do that.
texsn95
AG
Quote:

Moving to the area
T and P sent OP
smokeythebear
AG
Yep, and on days when this happens, he won't even get home in time for that.
BBRex
AG
OP, you keep saying "The Woodlands" but I think you mean "Katy."
HeightsAg
This. At the end of the day, it's basically the same damn thing. For that matter, throw in Kingwood, Sugarland, Clear Lake or any nice suburb and there won't be game changing differences. If suburbs appeal to you, pick the closest one to where you work and be done with it.
water turkey
I live in the Woodlands and ride the Woodlands Express to downtown every day. Right at an hour each way. Drops me off at my office front door.

I don't mind the ride but would not do the drive. I have driven twice in 6 months. Also, I don't have small kids at home, so I don't need to rush home. Don't plan to do it long term but it is ok for now. I like The Woodlands. Lots of old people.
Furlock Bones
AG
If you work near downtown or the galleria, live there. Put your kids in private school. Enjoy the massive amounts of extra time over your life that you will get to spend with your family. Don't be an idiot.

Pretty simple rules if you ask me.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.