Houston
Sponsored by

Moving to the area

6,327 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
D. Rogers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks like my wife and I will be moving to the Houston area. Right now it is looking like we will move to The Woodlands but there is also a job opportunity where we would probably live in the Sugar Land area. We don't know much about the area and any insight on the good/bad would be much appreciated. If there has been another thread on this feel free to repost.

Do a lot of people commute from The Woodlands to the Galleria or downtown Houston? How terrible is the commute?

Thanks!

txaggie_08
AG
Houston's full, try El Paso
TXTransplant
I live in The Woodlands, and while I don't commute, most of my neighbors do. Most of them that do hate it. The commute to downtown probably isn't as bad, if you don't mind spending up to three hours a day in the car. The commute to the Galleria would probably make most people want to gouge their eyeballs out.

There are park and rides (buses). Many of the people I know use that service.

If your commute is to downtown, you're probably better off trying to live somewhere south of The Woodlands proper, near where the Hardy, Grand Parkway, and 45 intersect. That would shave a good 20-30 min off of the trip.
Al Bula
AG
D. Rogers said:

Do a lot of people commute from The Woodlands to the Galleria or downtown Houston? How terrible is the commute?
30 minutes tops
MAS444
AG
Yeah I think it's been pretty well established that you can commute anywhere in the greater Houston area for no more than about 30 minutes.
Ag_07
AG
D. Rogers said:

Do a lot of people commute from The Woodlands to the Galleria or downtown Houston?

Quote:

How terrible is the commute?

wessimo
AG
Serious response: if you place any value whatsoever on your time, live close to where you work.
randy828
AG
MAS444 said:

Yeah I think it's been pretty well established that you can commute anywhere in the greater Houston area for no more than about 30 minutes.
AgCPA95
AG
You said just you and the wife so I'm thinking no kids so schools are not a concern at least for now. I would HIGHLY recommend leasing something while you figure out what makes sense for your lifestyle. I work in the Galleria area and I can't count how many people we have transferred in to our Corp office or hired that have bought a place and then regretted the decision. And this goes both way from folks close to office that wanted more space in the burbs and others that couldn't deal with the commute and ended up buying closer to the office.

The Woodlands to the Galleria would be pretty brutal unless you could leave house at 5am and then head home by 3pm
Marvin_Zindler
AG
This thread should help you get acquainted with the tine: https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/1402686
jamesf
AG
Sugar Land has a much better commute to the Galleria area (and downtown, for that matter) than The Woodlands.
El Duke
You can find a nice house in River Oaks for $300k and commute to the Woodlands or Sugarland in 15 minutes.
NoahAg
Check out the Heights, where you can get 1,200 SQUARE FEET for only $700K!!

Seriously, Cinco Ranch (east of 99) or Sugar Land to the Galleria is tolerable.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
You should check out the area called Cottage Grove.

Place sounds like heaven on earth.
ClickClack
AG
Man these jokes never get old. Clever girls.
E
AG
The woodlands to the galleria is probably tied for worst idea ever...
JYDog90
AG
Thoughts and prayers to anyone who would ever come to the tine board to get some real help on this subject. The truth is certainly there in this thread but it's interwoven with past jokes and sarcasm and flat out lies.

Tough for OP but lots of fun for the rest of us.
AgRebel08
AG
Work in the Galleria and live in the Galleria. Would not live in Woodlands if I got paid more, the time lost is crazy.

Some co-workers do the Woodlands drive and several of them hate there life, except one guy I think he likes it but I also suspect he does massive amounts of drugs.
Kuz89
AG
Lived in Conroe and commuted to the Galleria area for about 5 years. After trying all sorts of routes you basically end up taking the Hardy Toll road south to downtown and then a right on Memorial / I10. The mornings were not bad if you left early enough but the evenings could really suck.

If you can swing flex time and do 7am to 4PM it's not too bad assuming you cheat a little on the 4 PM and make it 3:45. Every 10 minutes you wait to leave after 4 will add an additional 10 minutes to your commute time. If you don't leave by 4:30-4:45 you might as well wait until 7 PM.

This was 3 years ago but I don't think much has occurred with traffic flows since then to change much.

Like most stated here, I would avoid if at all possible. But hey, it's Houston and a commute is kind of part of the deal.
SJEAg
AG
Sugar Land to Galleria isn't completely terrible...probably the best option of the outer burbs. The Woodlands is probably the worst.

I can usually do 30-40 min in the morning, 45-60 minutes in the afternoon. A good part of that is just dealing with the traffic cluster surrounding my office from which there is no escape. But I am older Sugar Land inside HI6...can probably tack on 15 min getting to/from the newer areas further out by 99.
TurboAg2012
AG
I did the commute from The Woodlands area to Galleria for about a year. Longest it ever took was 2 hours...one way
Forum Troll
AG
SJEAg said:

Sugar Land to Galleria isn't completely terrible...probably the best option of the outer burbs. The Woodlands is probably the worst.
This is the best answer. Otherwise live ITL with the other hipsters and people who can afford mortgages of 500k+ on 40 year old homes.
AgRebel08
AG
I actually avoid banking clients in the Woodlands because I would have to drive up there a couple times a year.
HeightsAg
Don't listen all the Debbies on here. The commute from the Woodlands to the Galleria might be bad now but once they fix the 610 and 59 interchange and put in that bullet train, it will be a breeze.
White Liberals=The Worst
TXTransplant said:

I live in The Woodlands, and while I don't commute, most of my neighbors do. Most of them that do hate it. The commute to downtown probably isn't as bad, if you don't mind spending up to three hours a day in the car. The commute to the Galleria would probably make most people want to gouge their eyeballs out.

If your commute is to downtown, you're probably better off trying to live somewhere south of The Woodlands proper, near where the Hardy, Grand Parkway, and 45 intersect. That would shave a good 20-30 min off of the trip.
You think Bender's landing would save much commute time vs. Panther Creek or similar location?
drumboy
AG
A buddy of mine is selling a nice house in Imperial Oaks if you're interested. It's not listed right now so some money might be able to be saved.
TXTransplant
Wycliffe_03 said:

TXTransplant said:

You think Bender's landing would save much commute time vs. Panther Creek or similar location?

I would think so, only because, between the GP and Hardy, you could avoid 45 altogether. If you lived in Panther Creek, you'd have to take 45 to get to the Hardy.
Diggity
AG
I can't figure out where the OP is actually working/living

I see Sugar Land, Galleria, Downtown and The Woodlands.
spider96
AG
I imagine one will be downtown and the spouse will be galleria
D. Rogers
I greatly appreciate all the responses. I have a flexible schedule and I'm a morning person so I could leave early. My company has an office in the Galleria that I could transfer to and I could probably work from home some days. Current commute for me is 30 minutes so wondering how much worse off it would be. No kids yet but certainly in the near future. Not the hipster type so no Heights for us but we will be sure to visit.

I know some people in Sugarland and somewhat familiar with that area but I don't know much about The Woodlands. What type of people live in The Woodlands? Is The Woodlands filled with a bunch of snobby types or are there a lot of good friendly Aggies around? Is there anything to do there? We went to eat dinner near the waterway during the week and it didn't seem like there was a lot of activity. I saw a lot of golf courses, but I'm not much of a golfer.

I have been told The Woodlands is one of the nicest areas to live in Houston. If this is the case, it seems to be worth the extra drive time but trying to learn more about it to make sure it is a good fit for us.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Ah yes, the hospital.

Now we've got it. Diggity, surely you know some lovely properties near "the hospital."
Joan Wilder
AG
Commuting from the Woodlands to "the hospital" and to the galleria would be a nightmare. No matter where "the hospital" is. There's nothing special about the woodlands that would make that commute worthwhile.
txaggie_08
AG
What hospital? In the Med Center? Houston's a large city. Hospitals everywhere. Don't live in the Woodlands and drive to the Galleria. Terrible idea.

If you don't want to live ITL, go to Sugarland
SnowboardAg
AG
I STRONGLY encourage you to rent before you buy. I commuted from woodlands to downtown for 13 years too long, and moved closer to galleria now. In Houston, you really do pay (in house price) for time (to minimize commute) , unless you want to live in the ghetto. Renting is absolutely the way to go at first, even if you feel like it's wasting money. It's cheaper than buying the wrong location.

Also, before you buy, commute from your new location for 2 weeks.
drumboy
AG
I think the hipsters have been priced out of the Heights.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.