Houston
Sponsored by

Somerset Green

4,389 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Satellite of Love
AgRebel08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone heard of this, x-posted in real-estate. Looking to build and wanted thoughts.

[url=http://www.somersetgreenhouston.com/][/url]http://www.somersetgreenhouston.com/
Al Bula
AG
Yep. Gaudy European trash with retention "canals."
Ag_07
AG
How come on the Area Amenities page they don't mention Northwest Mall?
Bjwink
AG
As a realtor, I've had good experiences working with Coventry Homes, which builds in the neighborhood, but not heard spectacular reviews on SG itself
AgRebel08
AG
Coventry was great but they didn't quite have the fit for us. We are leaning Toll just because of the lot and floor plan. Coventry did say that they used peer and slab construction to prevent settling / shifting, not sure what that means but sounded good, but they were more per sq ft.
Liquid Wrench
Ag_07 said:

How come on the Area Amenities page they don't mention Northwest Mall?
Or proximity to granite yards, and a place that used to be a Prince's.
YellAg2004
AG
AgRebel08 said:

Coventry was great but they didn't quite have the fit for us. We are leaning Toll just because of the lot and floor plan. Coventry did say that they used peer and slab construction to prevent settling / shifting, not sure what that means but sounded good, but they were more per sq ft.
Not sure of their exact construction methods (drilled vs. press pilings), but they essentially construct your slab with shafts under the grade beams, very similar to what is done when you have your foundation leveled. Only in this case, the "fix" is built in so in theory you shouldn't have any foundation issues in the future.
rilloaggie
AG
AgRebel08 said:

Coventry did say that they used peer and slab construction to prevent settling / shifting, not sure what that means but sounded good, but they were more per sq ft.

Both builders are going to be using an engineering firm to design the foundations so they'd be protected from liability either way. Probably not a big difference on the foundations of either, Coventry is just doing a better job of selling theirs.
88jrt06
AG
That's a Gerald Hines project.
The overall quality will be outstanding.
My concern is that buildout will take many years due to the slowdown. I'd fence/ mothball about 50% of the remaining raw land to leave more of a "dense" effect at this point. I've walked some models and was impressed. Hines could have attracted any reputable builder, and the three involved
are top-notch IMO.

The neighborhood is fine for lock/leave target buyers. The
canals, bridges, and water features....well, that's kind of subjective, no? With mature landscaping, it might look awesome. Now? Um. Uhh...

I'm on the commercial side and have worked with the Hines
Team dozens of times. Best in the bidness, IMO. Given their international rep, could be numerous foreign buyers.
Never bet against H-town's greatest developer! I'll be tracking it, personally, as a lock/leave guy.
MAS444
AG
Do you happen to know cash mcmogulson?
kubiak03
AG
I hope they cleaned up/tested the soil as that area was fairly filled with heavy industry throughout the years.

Ag_07
AG
Wouldn't be this far along if they hadn't. That happens before they even buy the property.
bigjag19
AG
MAS444 said:

He's the greatest.
archangelus2
AG
What does lock/leave mean?
MAS444
AG
He only does big deals, of course.
gindaloon
AG
On another thread someone commented that they think 88jrt06 has suffered a recent concussion and/or has early onset of dementia.

May be something to that observation as most of his posts are complete gibberish littered with poor spelling and grammar as well as an excessive use of ellipses incorrectly.
88jrt06
AG
archangelus2 said:

What does lock/leave mean?
You travel, so don't want a yard and a bunch of pre-prep.
Decide to go, lock-up, and leave.
Probably first heard it in the 1990s. Convenience.
MAS444
AG
Are any homes built/listed yet?
redag06
Yes, they are actually already starting development for their 6th section.
88jrt06
AG
MAS444 said:

No. Do you think working with Gerald Hines Interests is particularly unusual? Dozens of companies do so in Houston, alone. Do you think they DON'T have the distinction as Houston's premier development firm?
Do you think following the development of Somerset Green over the past couple years is difficult?
88jrt06
AG
MAS444 said:

Are any homes built/listed yet?
The deals are too big for you.
MAS444
AG
No doubt. It's just sort of my dream to one day be able to live in a 4 story home overlooking gardens and canals.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Did this turn into some sort of homebuilder/develper sissy fight?
redag06
Surrounded by railroad tracks, 24 hour beer distributor, and car dealerships, TAKE MY MONEY!
AgRebel08
AG
As expected no real comments but a few.

Thoughts on re-sale and value? Someone said they thought that it would not appraise and that it was expensive. I think the location is a steal and wont lose value. They have already about 30 houses up and 30 in progress maybe a 100 sold.

AgRebel08
AG
What does that mean, I would sue the engineers if the foundation was terrible?

rilloaggie said:

AgRebel08 said:

Coventry did say that they used peer and slab construction to prevent settling / shifting, not sure what that means but sounded good, but they were more per sq ft.

Both builders are going to be using an engineering firm to design the foundations so they'd be protected from liability either way. Probably not a big difference on the foundations of either, Coventry is just doing a better job of selling theirs.
NoahAg
AgRebel08 said:

Thoughts on re-sale and value? Someone said they thought that it would not appraise and that it was expensive. I think the location is a steal and wont lose value. They have already about 30 houses up and 30 in progress maybe a 100 sold.

I didn't see any home prices, but between location, an elite developer, and 2 premium, solid builders (I don't know anything about Pelican), I think your value and resale are as stable as you could assume for any other neighborhood.
Alex Bregman
AG
In my opinion, the area around it will continue to appreciate. Lots of stuff ripe for redevelopment.

Things that I would be concerned about build-out time for the whole development and the price range. Looks like everything is >600k with some approaching 800k. That's in the ballpark of some new builds in Timbergrove down the street.
AgRebel08
AG
NoahAg said:

AgRebel08 said:

I didn't see any home prices, but between location, an elite developer, and 2 premium, solid builders (I don't know anything about Pelican), I think your value and resale are as stable as you could assume for any other neighborhood.
So the prices start at $515K for the cheapest and go up to $1MM. The $1MM are "waterfront" lot premiums. which are like $50K -$150K.

I would say the avg price looks to be around $650K.

David Weekly has a development behind this and they are priced $350 -$475K ( I would have to look at price per sq ft as they are smaller).

Really like this development but just wasn't sure about everything.
AgRebel08
AG
Jock09 said:

In my opinion, the area around it will continue to appreciate. Lots of stuff ripe for redevelopment.

Things that I would be concerned about build-out time for the whole development and the price range. Looks like everything is >600k with some approaching 800k. That's in the ballpark of some new builds in Timbergrove down the street.
Isn't Timbergrove the place everyone says is getto? I am not at all familiar with this area. The developer told us they were making a sky bridge to Memorial park over I-10, I cant imagine that happening so not sure what to believe.
Diggity
AG
AgRebel08 said:

Jock09 said:

Isn't Timbergrove the place everyone says is getto?
Not ghetto at all. The area where Somerset is being built was pretty industrial and is surrounded by that now. Will likely change in the future, but not right away.
Ag_07
AG
AgRebel08 said:

By everyone do you mean the developer?
Alex Bregman
AG
Timbergrove is single family homes near this site. Originally built in the 50s and 60s. My point was some of the custom builds on these single family lots are almost the same price as the town homes in Somerset Green. So these town homes are definitely on the high-end price range for everything around it.
rilloaggie
AG
AgRebel08 said:

What does that mean, I would sue the engineers if the foundation was terrible?

rilloaggie said:

AgRebel08 said:

Probably poorly worded on my part. Builders hire engineers to 1, make sure foundations are designed correctly and that there won't be problems, and 2, so that if there are problems and the builder gets sued, the liability falls on the engineering firm to make things right. Clear as mud?
AgRebel08
AG
Ag_07 said:

AgRebel08 said:

By everyone do you mean the developer?
I guess I was thinking of that thread about the facebook group, was it for Timbergrove or something?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.