Houston
Sponsored by

Working in Conroe

6,552 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HBCanine08
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where do you live? The wooodlands?

Might have a job opportunity up there.
Ragoo
AG
on the lake?
Chewy
AG
Highrise in Downtown Willis and commute out.
HBCanine08
AG
No, about 5 miles east of 45.
Ag_07
AG
Pearland. It's an easy 30 min commute
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would inquire about a timeshare up there. Maybe someone on the board has one you can buy off him.
The Wonderer
AG
Live in The Woodlands or Heights if wanting to be ITL.

My commute from Ella/TC Jester to 1960/45 averages 22 minutes leaving at 830a. Tack another 25 minutes to get to Conroe proper from my office (around 50-60 minutes most days).
aTm2004
AG
The Woodlands would be my first choice. With the GP also complete, Tomball is an option as well. If you want the Heights, it's a longer commute, but mostly against traffic. If that's the route you go, I'd budget for the Hardy as well.
HBCanine08
AG
What's traffic like in the am/pm?

I have a buddy who lives close to midtown and downtown, and am considering living with him as an option.
The Wonderer
AG
HBCanine08 said:

What's traffic like in the am/pm?

I have a buddy who lives close to midtown and downtown, and am considering living with him as an option.
Leaving at 830a, it's usually 60-70 mph. Going home is usually 50-60 mph.

My drive home is usually 30 minutes leaving 515-530p. You should add at least 30 minutes to that.

AM: slows down around 610/45 interchange and just north of 1960
PM: slows down at 45/BW8 interchange and 99/south Woodlands
aggiedent
AG
I left the my office in the Willowbrook area about 3:30 one day last week to drive up to Willis. The Grand Parkway segment was flowing at any speed you wanted to drive. The I-45 part around the Woodlands was frickin awful. Past the Woodlands was easy sailing again.
TXTransplant
aggiedent said:

I left the my office in the Willowbrook area about 3:30 one day last week to drive up to Willis. The Grand Parkway segment was flowing at any speed you wanted to drive. The I-45 part around the Woodlands was frickin awful. Past the Woodlands was easy sailing again.

45 between 1488 and Rayford Sawdust is pretty miserable in both directions from about 5pm-630pm during the week. That 8 mile stretch alone could easily take 20-30 min, depending on what time you are driving.
agnerd
AG
har.com
Click on "drive time search"
Choose "sale" or "Rent"
Enter work address, work start time, and tolerable drive duration.
Get map of available areas.
Enter house or apt budget and other criteria to refine your search.
UndergroundAg
Buying or renting? Budget?
Ragoo
AG
HBCanine08 said:

No, about 5 miles east of 45.
live on the lake, silly
LostInLA07
AG
Shenandoah
Texaggie7nine
I feel dumb. Took me like 10 times of rereading the first 5 posts to figure out what the hell was going on.
7nine
mm98
AG
Only acceptable answer is you live in Cut 'N Shoot and commute into Conroe.
JSKolache
AG
mm98 said:

Only acceptable answer is you live in Cut 'N Shoot and commute into Conroe.
Or Grangerland
OnlyForNow
AG
Montgomery. It's a 20 mins drive down 105 that isn't that bad.
OXDL45
AG
Kingwood
aTm2004
AG
Huntsville. You'll be close to eager college sloots and crappy bars to take them to on the weekends.
byfLuger41
AG
My office is in Cut N' Shoot, but I live in Conroe proper.
byfLuger41
AG
Rent or buy?

Age? Hobbies?

Regardless of these variables, South County (The Woodlands) is most likely your best bet.

I was born and raised in Conroe and spend a lot of my leisure in South County.
aTm2004
AG
True story about Cut N' Shoot. You know the skating rink on 336, right? When I was in HS, cell phones were pretty scarce, and those who had them, were afraid to use them because they might go over their 100 or so minutes per month. Well, one of my friends was screwing around with this girl from Caney Creek HS. She asked if we could pick her up from her little brother's birthday party they were having at the roller rink there, and we told her we would.

When we arrived to pick her up, they wouldn't let us walk in without paying. Given we were both broke ***** who didn't want to spend what little beer money we had to go in for 2 minutes, we went outside and called information from my parent's cell phone. When the lady asked for city and state, I told her "Cut N' Shoot, TX." She asked me to repeat it, which I did. She then started acting like I was prank calling her, and I was like "no, it really is a town in Texas. It's cut like with a knife, and shoot like with a gun." The whole time, I'm trying to keep my composure while my buddy is laughing his ass off in the passenger seat. After a couple of minutes of trying to convince her that it was a real town and it wasn't a prank, she finally found it and was like "I'll be damned" but told me it was actually in Conroe. She gave me the number and I called to have the girl paged. Lucky for me, she brought a friend along. My buddy and I still laugh about that today.
mm98
AG
First time I heard the name I thought it was a joke too.
HBCanine08
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Rent or buy?

Age? Hobbies?

Regardless of these variables, South County (The Woodlands) is most likely your best bet.

I was born and raised in Conroe and spend a lot of my leisure in South County.
Rent - Max 1200?/month. Depends on the type of job offer I may get.

Early 30s

I keep a routine during the week - Gym (24 hr fitness) before work, go back home to get ready for work, walk dog, and at work by 815 at the latest. Occasional happy hour on Thursdays. After work I will go on a run 3-4 times a week, walk dog again, dinner, tinker with a project car or watch netflix. I go to networking events about 1-3 times a month, usually on Tuesdays or Thursdays in or around downtown.

Weekends I'll go to happy hour, restaurants, day drinking, etc., or be a home body and/or spend time with family in Pearland.
Texaggie7nine
Smith&Co1970 said:

There are office buildings in Cut N Shoot?

My fiance's family lives there and I don't think I've seen anything bigger than a gas station there.
7nine
The Wonderer
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Smith&Co1970 said:

My fiance's family lives there and I don't think I've seen anything bigger than a gas station there.

They got dem fancy triple wides.
byfLuger41
AG
Ole Rainbow Roller Rink!

It's still alive and well! I used to frequent that place in my youth, but probably haven't been since 1996ish or so.

I was the fat, Cartman type kid growing up and I would bring my own N-Lines to the rink. My favorite thing to do was go as fast as possible, using my weight to gain speed obviously, then fly into a group of high school girls. It was an easy way to get an "accidental" T&A grab or two.

Good times.
byfLuger41
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Smith&Co1970 said:

We have a pretty big track in Cut N' Shoot at the corner of FM1485 and SH105 and rail yard further down the road. Google Pavers Supply.

Our office is two whole stories!!!
lunchbox
OXDL45 said:

Kingwood
I live in the Montgomery County sliver of Kingwood and had to go to Conroe for jury duty. At 8AM, I took 59 to 242 to 1314 to Conroe and it took 40-45 mins.
byfLuger41
AG
We do have a few double wides that serve as job shacks on projects.

Or at the deer lease.
byfLuger41
AG
Sounds like you could find something in Conroe or The Woodlands.

If you have kids I would recommend The Woodlands (better schools/students). The Woods also has a 24hr Fitness and plenty of running/cycling trails.

HH is much better in The Woods too. More eye candy and people with disposable income.

That 1200 a month max might be an issue, but I'm sure you could find something within your budget.
OnlyForNow
AG
Good ole Rainbow Roller Rink.

I'm pretty sure I spent a couple hundred there on the arcade games!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.