Houston
Sponsored by

Brooks BBQ - not to be trifled with

4,730 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pikedawgg
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/cyfair/news/article/Houston-barbecue-restaurant-owner-chases-down-10931258.php

Quote:

When the owner of Brooks' Place BBQ, Trent Brooks, saw two suspects loading stolen grills from a Cypress-area Kroger, he pulled out his gun in an attempt to stop them.
Brooks was armed when he saw the men outside the Ace Hardware Store at 18020 FM 529, not far from where his barbecue joint is located. He held one of them at gunpoint, but he put down his firearm when the thief said he would return the grill.

That's when the pair sped away. Brooks got in his vehicle, called 911 and chased after the two.
"We were doing 115 miles per hour," Brooks told KHOU. "I'm tired of people getting away with this stuff. I can't stand a thief. You're out here stealing from people who are working hard. I don't think that's fair."

Quote:

During the pursuit down Barker Cypress, the three stolen grills fell off the truck.

The truck eventually came to a stop, and the suspects fled on foot. They have not been identified.

ClickClack
AG
Sounds like something I dream of doing when I hear of theft. But really stupid.
CDUB98
AG
I get why he did it, but he really shouldn't have chased them.
The Original AG 76
AG
fantastic bbq.
T Durden
AG
Brooks gives discounts to people who carry.
cajunaggie08
AG
always fun to see the grocery store you shop at make the news. Don't mess with my ghetto kroger damnit
T Durden
AG
Is it? I've been meaning to try it. What is good?
Pedro Cerano
AG
It's good. Probably the best pulled pork I've had anywhere in Texas. Sides are really good as well.

Brisket is solid, though not Killen's/Roegels/Pappa Charlies quality. He doesn't really do the Central Texas thing, more the traditional East Texas way.
Jack Cheese
AG
It's the best you'll get in NW Houston IMHO. Mr Brooks is a nice guy too. Very much a gun nut, but nice guy.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Publicity!
Liquid Wrench
Jack Cheese said:

It's the best you'll get in NW Houston IMHO. Mr Brooks is a nice guy too. Very much a gun nut, but nice guy.
I'll give it a try if I ever voyage to the outer rim. Try not to make any sudden suspicious moves when I reach for my wallet or another slice of pie.
txags92
AG
My wife and I don't refer to that Kroger as "the ghetto Kroger" for nothing...
malenurse
AG
Jack Cheese said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.
TxKng82
AG
Been meaning to try it , guess I really need to get over there now and try some BBQ
NoahAg
What an idiot.
Buck O Five
AG
Theft is bad, but creating a situation where fleeing thieves could strike and kill other motorists is also very bad.
BrazosDog02
AG
I can't fault him for what he did. His heart was in the right place but I do agree that it made the situation worse. For me, considering those grills are a insured....**** it....it ain't mine and I'm not potentially going to court and putting myself and others in danger over it. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is be a good eyewitness.
Buck O Five
AG
Well said.
Ragoo
AG
I go to the Kroger and ace all the time, closest Stihl dealer, and have been wanting to get some bbq. Guess I should give it a try.
Pikedawgg
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.