Houston
Sponsored by

Lumber cheaper than Lowes/home depot

14,923 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggie1205
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys I'm looking to replace the Ironrod railing on my first and second floor porches with wood.

It's a DIY project since it's fairly simple but I was going to ask if any of you guys know anywhere I can find lumber at a price lower than Lowes or Home Depot .

I'm probably going to need some one by four's 4 x 4's 2 x 2's and maybe to 8 foot 6 x 6' columns
Thanks
Satellite of Love
Check and see what these places can do price wise: Houston Hardwoods, Masons Mill and Lumber, Clarks Hardwoods, Olshan Lumber or Big Z lumber.
Jules_Winnfield
Thank!
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
Try Montabano on N Sheperd.
W
AG
don't go anywhere that won't let you pick your own boards and posts
Jules_Winnfield
Roger that

Thanks for the advice fellas!
Wife is an Aggie
jayelbee said:

Any lumber yard will be 50-60% the price of Home Depot or Lowes on dimensional lumber. Only buy from HD if you find out you need 3 2x4s all of a sudden on a Sunday afternoon.

Do these places generally have straighter/dryer lumber as well.... I swear every time I am at an HD spending way too long trying to find a straight 2x4 I tell myself never again... then after a week in the garage laying flat on the floor it looks like a hockey stick.

Went w the premium select pine 2x2's this weekend for a small end table build that I decided to do last minute when I found out I would have a few hours to kill by myself. $9 each for 8 ft length but only needed 3 of them so I bit the bullet.
lostrg
The lumber yard in your neighbors shack
Dr. Doctor
AG
Clark's is good, but more of the higher end wood.

They have #1 yellow pine, usually $0.80 a board foot (a 1x3x8' board is about 4 bucks). But it is going to be straight, no knots and easy to work with. That, I think, is some of their cheapest wood.

Might look for an actual lumber yard. I know of Stahlmann (sp?) on 59 (2 locations). They are good and, in the past, offered cash discount on larger orders.

~egon
AlaskanAg99
AG
You shouldn't be buying material for furniture making from a big box store.
06thMan
AG
Any recommendations for a good lumber yard in NW Houston (spring/tomball/woodlands area)?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
http://mccauleyslumber.com/

https://www.mccoys.com/
chrisrrtx
AG
84 Lumber
BMC
Aggie1205
AG
McCoy's or Parker Building Supply.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.