Houston
Sponsored by

PSA - Marathon this Sunday

7,616 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frederick Palowaski
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stay off the road ITL this Sunday if you can.

Also, I'm looking for a full marathon bib if anybody wants to offload one. Didn't train but made a last minute decision to give it a shot if I can pick up an entry.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I'm hoping you've run one before? You don't really just decide to give a full marathon a shot if a bib comes free unless you're looking forward to fractured feet.
wessimo
AG
This would be my 3rd if it happens. I figure there's always Uber if it comes to that.
CDUB98
AG
wessimo said:

This would be my 3rd if it happens. I figure there's always Uber if it comes to that.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Attention people giving away beer on allen parkway: I am a beggar that wants to be a chooser. Specifically, when you give me a free beer, please fill the cup all the way. I'm at the end of a long run and want something to take the edge off. Fill those cups all the way up.
CDUB98
AG
I nearly gagged when passing those guys when I did it. I was in a bad place during that stretch and they almost took me over the edge.

On the other hand, two different times I helped run a friend in the last five miles and loved those guys.
CDUB98
AG
Although, those guys can never top the 98th Mile Beer Stop (R.I.P.) on the Hotter Than Hell 100.
dummble
AG
Wessimo whats your email/phone?
wessimo
AG
wessimo
AG
Username at hotmail
yestoast
Is Catch still bacon it happen?
Texaggie7nine
wessimo said:

Username at hotmail
You can also find his profile by username at Myspace.com and his website at username.geocities.com.
7nine
Chewy
AG
Have you checked the weather for Sunday? Looks miserable.

Bacon It Happen no longer happens as of last year.
wessimo
AG
Yes, the horrible forecast is part of the reason I want to do it.
wessimo
AG
Stalker fail.

You did scare me though, I had to go check and see if I had those accounts
wessimo
AG
Do St. Arnolds and Karbach both have tents? If so around what mile?

Sorry to hear no bacon this year
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
wessimo said:

Do St. Arnolds and Karbach both have tents? If so around what mile?
Last I recall is around 23-24 on Allen Parkway. But even those jabronis only fill it up a little bit. Like 1-2 ounces. How am I supposed to cross the finish line with a light Sunday morning buzz if they won't fork over more than a sip of beer?

Someone has a bigger truck (usually garbage like Michelob Ultra, but again price is right) right as you get to where Woodway and Memorial drive merge before you go under the railroad track. They used to fill 'em up better but now they do the same nonsense with 1-2 ounces of beer.
CDUB98
AG
Tell me about this bacon thing. I've never heard of it.
wessimo
AG
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2251807
CDUB98
AG
That's pretty damned cool.
Martin Q. Blank
Texaggie7nine said:

wessimo said:

Username at hotmail
You can also find his profile by username at Myspace.com and his website at username.geocities.com.
Texaggie7nine
Martin Q. Blank said:

Texaggie7nine said:

wessimo said:

Username at hotmail

Next thing you are going to tell me is that it's not the 90's anymore.
7nine
wessimo
AG
Thanks, I responded. Let me know if your email service rejects inbound messages from 90s era email platforms
wessimo
AG
I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm just trying to hide the fading paint on my car with stickers.

wessimo
AG
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html
White Liberals=The Worst
wessimo said:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html
Ancient humans who were running for meat or whatever weren't running 26 miles as fast as they could go without passing out or dying. They weren't pushing their heart and joints nearly as much as modern marathon runners do today and they certainly weren't running for fun or bragging rights.

You'll find articles and studies coming to varying conclusions but a lot of doctors will tell you marathon running is not smart. Is it smarter than sitting around all day every day eating pizza and ice cream and drinking sodas? Or shooting up heroine every day? Of course it is. But most marathon runners actually think it's healthy for their heart and body and there's a lot of evidence suggesting otherwise..
Bondag
AG
If it isn't raining I will be at mile 1 drinking a Bloody Mary.
CDUB98
AG
Bondag said:

Damn, son, you dont even want to make a 5k before you give up and start drinking?
Bondag
AG
CDUB98 said:

Bondag said:

Damn, son, you dont even want to make a 5k before you give up and start drinking?
Mile 1 is walking distance from my kitchen.
WES2006AG
AG
Post marathon is a great time of year. You get to see the new and interesting ways people find to bring up their recent marathon experience in casual conversation.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Good luck runners! Hope the weather holds out for you guys. Nothing worse than training for several months only to have mother nature shoot you the bird on race day.
AgRebel08
AG
Serious question?

If you do not have a loved one running, why do people watch running? I went to an A&M cross country event with my roommate, thought it would be fun and partly because I wanted a stamp on my 12th man card. Got up at 5:30 for a 6:00 AM start......on a Saturday.... In college, stood around for about 20 min saw them coming at us in the distance and then they ran past us, all in about 3 min.

I said welp that was a waste never again, at least I got a stamp but what do you now early to late middle aged people get out of this?
htxag09
AG
Personally, it's not for me. But my understanding is a lot of these people live nearby and just walk to the course with a couple drinks. There is a lot of interaction between the runners and supporters and some enjoy it. I'd imagine some are just people who've run it in the past and appreciated the support and are returning that support. And I don't know why, but seems kids really get a kick out of it. My two nieces, 2 &5, have facetimed me every night with their pom poms because they're so excited.
cajunaggie08
AG
i'm going to book of mormon that afternoon. will i be able to take I-10 to smith street in to downtown or will i need to get creative?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.