Houston
Sponsored by

Power provider and plan

7,266 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
zidnaut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For do-it-yourselfers who want easy visibility to electric plan data and calculations without having to share their own information, here's another new option: www.TexasPowerGuide.com

(TexAgs admin: If this violates the posting policy because it's my own site vs the second-hand references posted by others, then please feel free to remove it.)
Diggity
AG
very cool site!
malenurse
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

Ogre is just OK. I did my own research for last contract & again recently - but went with Ogre this time just to see what they came up with. Basically they signed me to a 12-month plan with one of the lost-cost providers - which I could (should in hindsight) have done myself. Now I will pay them an additional $10/mo for the next 12 months for no added benefit.

Moral of the story is spend a half hour on the power to choose site when your contract is about to expire & sign yourself up to the plan that make most sense - and save your self $10/mo over Orge.
Phht!!
Spend 30 minutes of my time when I can pay someone $10/month to do it for me.

Do you know what else I could be doing with 30 minutes of computer time?
I'm at work, otherwise I would show you what I would be doing.
KW02
AG
How do you find your Account Authorization Code?
Diggity
AG
You have to have an account with www.smartmetertexas.com
KW02
AG
Diggity said:

You have to have an account with www.smartmetertexas.com
Yea, I have an account with smartmetertexas. Trying to find the account authorization code to try out www.awesomepowertexas.com
Diggity
AG
It needs you to get an authorization code from smartmetertexas so it can get that data. It's in your profile.

They should give you instructions on the site.
KW02
AG
Thanks. Got it done.
Diggity
texagpilot
AG
Awesomepowertexas.com is great, me and my dad used it, very helpful.
KW02
AG
awesomepowertexas was very helpful

Trying to determine whether to just do a 3 month plan at low rate but that would put renewal in May. Prices do go up as summer approaches but wondering which approach would be better (3 or 12 month). Anyone follow electricity prices close enough to give an opinion?
zidnaut
I'm not an expert, but I've been wondering the same thing recently. At the ERCOT wholesale level, prices do vary with [seasonal] demand, so I'd expect 3-month retail contracts would do the same. But since a 12- month contract spans a complete cycle of seasonal variation, summer peak pricing should be factored in no matter when you buy. Perhaps it might be slightly cheaper just before summer as energy pricing forecasters have a shorter branch prediction risk and could thus build in less margin for uncertainty? (That's not to say retailers would necessarily follow suit, though.) Whether you go short or long might depend more on natural gas pricing forecasts than seasonal timing.

I've been looking into some related data so I'll post more if I find anything conclusive.
Mr.Bond
AG
bevokilla said:

Football&Finance said:

a guy I know just launched a website that pulls your smart meter data and compares it to all available plans to tell you which plan is best, all for free.

http://www.awesomepowertexas.com/
This service is awesome. I found a rate that wasn't in their list due to the formatting of the rate and owner ran the calculation and sent me the findings with the 1 year spend included. Great service and free.
NM
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.