Houston
Sponsored by

Power provider and plan

7,262 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Ags_2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are the best providers and rate plans?

I have had Amigo 12 month plans in the past.
eeaggie11
AG
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2698373/last#last
213 Grove
AG
Energy ogre
MelvinUdall
213 Grove said:

Energy ogre
Can't star this one enough, they are great.
AlaskanAg08
AG
X1000000 on Energy Ogre. Cut my bills in half.
wessimo
AG
I paid $4 for ~1300kw last month on Gexa, found it on my own. Energy ogre charges $10 a month in addition to your electric bill.
GoAgs92
AG

I have to admit those labels are confusing but using my rudimentary excel skills I found a plan that charges 7.1 cents per KWH (before delivery fees) but gives an $85 credit for any month over 1,000...so with the discount my rate for the year should be about 6.8 cents (i have a few months each year less than 1k).

and that was for a 12 or 24 month plan...which usually run a bit higher.

wessimo
AG
Spend $10 on a 1500w space heater and you can make sure you always hit the 1000kwh mark.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Saving bigly with the ogre.
GoAgs92
AG
how does power to choose decide which rates to show you on their website, the best plans didn't show up under my zip code so I downloaded all the rate data off the site and ran my actual usage vs the data.

then just signed up directly with the provider and they approved and didn't say I couldn't signup due to my zip code...I don't get it.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Source power and gas
mm98
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Source power and gas
I just got this one via EO. There seems to be a diminishing trend on usage credits this time around...across all the other land I mean.
GoAgs92
AG
Which plan on Source Power and Gas, I have them ranked 16 in my database for their 3 month Source Conserve Now but their Save Now plan looks pretty good....although it's still about $200 per year more than the one i signed up for yesterday...hmm.

of course I use from 700 - 1800KWH so your mileage may vary.
lostrg
Just get a by bunch of hamsters and let them power it up by running up the wheel.
GoAgs92
AG
wessimo said:

Spend $10 on a 1500w space heater and you can make sure you always hit the 1000kwh mark.

Which site do you use to track your smart meter?

do you just run the heater on the last day until you hit the minimum?

Football&Finance
AG
a guy I know just launched a website that pulls your smart meter data and compares it to all available plans to tell you which plan is best, all for free.

http://www.awesomepowertexas.com/
GoAgs92
AG
cool.
wessimo
AG
GoAgs92 said:

wessimo said:

Which site do you use to track your smart meter?

do you just run the heater on the last day until you hit the minimum?

Www.smartmetertexas.com

Or just go outside and read the number off your meter.
GoAgs92
AG
that's what i've been doing so far...my kids need to start wasting more electricity.

ha.
FTACO97
AG
GoAgs92 said:

I have to admit those labels are confusing but using my rudimentary excel skills I found a plan that charges 7.1 cents per KWH (before delivery fees) but gives an $85 credit for any month over 1,000...so with the discount my rate for the year should be about 6.8 cents (i have a few months each year less than 1k).

and that was for a 12 or 24 month plan...which usually run a bit higher.

Who was that with? I had a similar rate with Infinite Energy the past year but it's expiring.
CDUB98
AG
I got in on a pretty low Gexa rate for 3 years back when nat gas was a little over $2.

I'm lovin' it now with nat gas up above $3.

Those damned TDU charges are still a beetch though. No way to avoid them.
GoAgs92
AG
I signed up with discount power Prime Plus plan.

under powertochose.org i had to say i was in 77082 vs my real zip code to see the plan.
GoAgs92
AG
Football&Finance said:

a guy I know just launched a website that pulls your smart meter data and compares it to all available plans to tell you which plan is best, all for free.

Tell your friend good job, site worked like a charm. Matched my manual spreadsheet as cheapest.

I didn't use it to sign up since my plan will be cheaper if i just waste some KWH's but their recommendation on the surface was cheaper.

suck it energy ogre.
wessimo
AG
Yep, ogre killer. Giving away what EO was charging $120 a year for.
GoAgs92
AG
guy should have called it EnergyKnight, we slay the ogre.
mm98
AG
I will def check this out when my current plans approaches the end. EO saved me a ton in the first two 6mo contracts. Now, on my third, the savings don't look quite as promising.
redag06
In the past 9 months, Energy Ogre just placed me in my 4th plan(I did move during that time as well)

Part of the $120 service they offer is the setting up of the accounts. If I were having to handle this I would not be signing up for 3 & 6 month plans, to avoid the hassle of signing up for new plans. The $10/month is a charge for this hassle.
GoAgs92
AG
Energy Ogre is probably moving you from plan to plan for the affiliate/broker money they get...(which is how that free link above makes their money) plus if they stuck you on a longer range plan when the price was cheap, you might have saved money overall as prices fluctuate so much from month to month.

but I can see the value in EO since it's a bit of a pain to figure out which plan is best and switch, let alone remembering to switch.

kyle field 94
AG
I use quite a bit of electricity (between 4000-6000 kw per month) and had a great plan with reliants use more save more plan. my previous rate was about 5.5 cents with this usage, but with my renewal coming up, this same plan is approx. 8.4 cents. does anyone know of a plan that is cheaper for using more electricity? using power to choose can give misleading prices for larger amounts over 2000kw dues to rebates and misleading rates. I would prefer to do a 12 month term and not have to worry about and research this and change credit card payments, every few months.
mm98
AG
You use 4000-6000 KWhrs per month??? You sure your neighbor hasn't tapped into your meter and running a long buried cable to his AC unit...
kyle field 94
AG
unfortunately yes, several inefficient a/c units which are being replaced as they breakdown and pool, etc hence the reason to try to save as much as I can where I can.
mm98
AG
Whatever you end up doing, don't go with a short 3-6 month plan that ends in the summer no matter how attractive it is now. You'll be left with a renewal in peak season.

Fall/Spring contracts usually provide the best long term renewal opps.
kyle field 94
AG
after actually looking at my usage, I am on the low end of 2900kwh for several months and a high of 5400 last july. last 12 month avg was 3900kwh, and I could get reliant to renew at 8.0 cents for my avg usage, which is still much higher than I had last year. in july my bill was only $283 while using 5400kwh.

I have submitted my info to awesome power texas and waiting to see what they come back with. I will let everyone know incase there are others who are bigger than avg users and looking for a cheaper plan.
JSKolache
AG
Ogre is just OK. I did my own research for last contract & again recently - but went with Ogre this time just to see what they came up with. Basically they signed me to a 12-month plan with one of the lost-cost providers - which I could (should in hindsight) have done myself. Now I will pay them an additional $10/mo for the next 12 months for no added benefit.

Moral of the story is spend a half hour on the power to choose site when your contract is about to expire & sign yourself up to the plan that make most sense - and save your self $10/mo over Orge.
bevokilla
AG
Football&Finance said:

This service is awesome. I found a rate that wasn't in their list due to the formatting of the rate and owner ran the calculation and sent me the findings with the 1 year spend included. Great service and free.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.