Houston
Sponsored by

Kolache dorks on high alert!

10,630 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BohunkAg
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://buzzworthy.blog.austin360.com/2016/12/02/a-plea-to-central-texans-from-a-czech-girl-please-stop-referring-to-sausage-filled-pastries-as-kolaches/

Quote:

Before we get started, take a peek at my last name. It's as Czech as they come. The name Penck is actually a nickname for a peasant (I know, I know). It comes from the Czech word meaning "wheat." I grew up in the heart of the "Texas Czech Belt." So, trust me, I know a thing or two about doughy Bohemian pastries.
Texas is a pretty heavily Czech region, with immigrants from Bohemia settling in the Texas Czech Belt in the early 1800s. They brought with them one of the best pastries known to mankind, and even now kolaches are a pretty big deal around these parts. A "kolach" (that's the singular form of the word, though colloquially people use "kolache" as singular and "kolaches" as plural, so that's how I'm referring to it here) is a round or square-ish pastry made with sweet yeast dough and filled with fruit or cheese.
Notice I said fruit or cheese not meat. The traditional kolache fillings include things like plums, prunes, poppy seeds, apricots and just plain farmer's cheese, due to the availability of those tasty flavors in poor immigrant families in the 19th century. Later, those fillings were expanded to include cream cheese, blueberries, pineapples, nuts, cottage cheese, cherriesyou name the fruit or cheese, and you could put it in a kolache. Notice, again, I haven't mentioned meat.
the funny part is that she actually got trolled on twitter.

https://twitter.com/psencikk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Chewy
AG
As has been said before I hope every one of these kolache purists always orders sliced chicken breast rather than chicken fajitas at their favorite Mexican restaurant.
Al Bula
AG
Ha! Czech peasants from La Grange to Caldwell are triggered by this phenomenon.

That chick's twitter is insufferable.
Bruce Almighty
03_Aggie
Q-tips
Kleenex
Coke

What are some others these purists probably use and don't care of think about?
Jock 07
AG
so desperate to feel that her heritage is important. are kolaches really the only thing these dorks have to hold onto to define their heritage? are germans as anal about sausage as these chuckleheads?
Al Bula
AG
Jock 07 said:

so desperate to feel that her heritage is important. are kolaches really the only thing these dorks have to hold onto to define their heritage?
Yes. Polka music is a distant second. Kolaches are all they have. Here is a polka song. With lyrics like these, I am shocked polka isn't bigger than kolaches.
Quote:

Too Fat Polka lyrics

Here's a silly ditty, you can sing it night or day
or sing it while you play, or sing it while you may.
Here's a silly jingle, you can sing it night or noon,
Here's the words, that's all you need, cause I just sing the tune,
(chorus 1)
Oh, I don't want her, you can have her,
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat for me.
I don't want her, you can have her,
Please do that for me.
She's too fat, she's too fat,
She's too fat for me.
I get dizzy, I get numbo
When I'm dancing
With my Jum-Jum-Jumbo.
(chorus 2)
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat,
She's too fat,
She's too fat for me. Oh,
"Can she prance up a hill
No, No, No, No, No
Can she dance a quadrille?
No, No, No, No, No
Can she fit in you coupe? (Car horn beeps da, da, dada!)
By herself she's a group
Could she possibly, sit upon your knee?
Oh, NO! NO!
"I don't want her,
You can have her
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me.
I don't want her,
You can have her
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat! Much too fat!
She's too fat for me."
She's a twosome.
She's a foursome.
If she'd lose some,
I might like her more some!
"I don't want her,
You can have her
She's too fat for me.
(But she's just right for me)
But she's just right for me
I don't want her,
You can have her
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat! Much too fat!
She's too fat for me."
Mr. McGibblets
AG
She is doing the lords work.
byfLuger41
AG
drumboy
AG
She got pretty butt hurt on the twitter.... What is she, 4 or 5 generations removed from her immigrant ancestors and now she 'know(s) this is just a portion of what immigrants feel on a daily basis. It's truly heartbreaking.' and talking about xenophobia cause commenters didn't agree that kolaches don't have meat?
byfLuger41
AG

Quote:

Yesterday, I wrote a fun, brief (but thoroughly researched!) post for work about kolache vs. klobanisky, which was intended to educate my community on the proper name for two popular foods which are a big part of my Czech heritage. The post gained a lot of attention, and with that (obviously) came people telling me to "get over it and stop being so sensitive," which I expected. What I didn't expect were the commenters telling me to "Go back to Czech" (which, for one thing, doesn't even make sense because "Czech" is not a country, but whatever) because, "This is how Texans do it/what Texans call it."

I am a native Texan. I have lived in various places along the same 40-mile stretch of highway between Austin and Bastrop for my entire life. I am not an immigrant, but I'm starting to understand what it feels like to be one.

It's amazing to me that simply asking people to honor the culture/heritage behind a simple pastry can bring about such hate and intolerance.

I grew up in the Texas Czech Belt. I identify strongly with my Czech heritage (and my German heritage, too!) and I am PROUD to be Bohemian. I have never once felt like I didn't belong here in Central Texas, where I've lived my whole life and plan to stay for a very long time, until today.

I know this is a very, VERY small portion of the challenges that face immigrants in this country. I recognize that I am extremely privileged that this is the first time I've experienced xenophobia firsthand. But it's utterly heartbreaking to think that this type of language is pointed toward thousands of people in this country on a daily basis.

Please don't tell me that you're sorry that this happened I'm not sharing this story for pity, or to make any of you argue about politics in the comments. I wanted to share this story because I am a white, middle-class, college-educated woman, the daughter and granddaughter and great-granddaughter of blue-collar workers, and this still happened to me. Xenophobia is a thing that is happening, EVERYWHERE. Even in the most unlikely of places. Even when people like to pretend that it isn't.

(Also, one person said I'm not Czech because I didn't grow up in the Czech Republic. I don't really think that's how culture works.)

Taken from her FB.
Jock 07
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Quote:

Yesterday, I wrote a fun, brief (but thoroughly researched!) post for work about kolache vs. klobanisky, which was intended to educate my community on the proper name for two popular foods which are a big part of my Czech heritage. The post gained a lot of attention, and with that (obviously) came people telling me to "get over it and stop being so sensitive," which I expected. What I didn't expect were the commenters telling me to "Go back to Czech" (which, for one thing, doesn't even make sense because "Czech" is not a country, but whatever) because, "This is how Texans do it/what Texans call it."

I am a native Texan. I have lived in various places along the same 40-mile stretch of highway between Austin and Bastrop for my entire life. I am not an immigrant, but I'm starting to understand what it feels like to be one.

It's amazing to me that simply asking people to honor the culture/heritage behind a simple pastry can bring about such hate and intolerance.

I grew up in the Texas Czech Belt. I identify strongly with my Czech heritage (and my German heritage, too!) and I am PROUD to be Bohemian. I have never once felt like I didn't belong here in Central Texas, where I've lived my whole life and plan to stay for a very long time, until today.

I know this is a very, VERY small portion of the challenges that face immigrants in this country. I recognize that I am extremely privileged that this is the first time I've experienced xenophobia firsthand. But it's utterly heartbreaking to think that this type of language is pointed toward thousands of people in this country on a daily basis.

Please don't tell me that you're sorry that this happened I'm not sharing this story for pity, or to make any of you argue about politics in the comments. I wanted to share this story because I am a white, middle-class, college-educated woman, the daughter and granddaughter and great-granddaughter of blue-collar workers, and this still happened to me. Xenophobia is a thing that is happening, EVERYWHERE. Even in the most unlikely of places. Even when people like to pretend that it isn't.

(Also, one person said I'm not Czech because I didn't grow up in the Czech Republic. I don't really think that's how culture works.)

Taken from her FB.
what a little whiny, triggered, *****. this is why the terrorists are winning. As an old boss of mine used to say "****ing millennials."
Diggity
AG
Manufactured Martyrdom.
Chewy
AG
I bet if someone posts a pic from her FB page we would have a better idea why she's hell bent on holding onto her Czech heritage.
Furlock Bones
AG
cultural appropriation

Jock 07
AG
please tell me that's her
Furlock Bones
AG
it is.
byfLuger41
AG
FWIW,

She's a journalism major from tu, c/o 2013.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Quote:

I grew up in the Texas Czech Belt. I identify strongly with my Czech heritage (and my German heritage, too!)

Is she gonna invade herself?
The Wonderer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Quote:

I grew up in the Texas Czech Belt. I identify strongly with my Czech heritage (and my German heritage, too!)

Is she gonna invade herself?
Probably the only way she'll feel an invasion..
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

are germans as anal about sausage as these chuckleheads?
Yes.
howdydamnit04
AG

Quote:

I am PROUD to be Bohemian.

Is this the real life?
zap
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

Quote:

I am PROUD to be Bohemian.

Is this the real life?

...or is this just fantasy?
byfLuger41
AG
Texaggie7nine
Your culture has been appropriated. Deal with it and be thankful. Texas only appropriates the best.
7nine
agnerd
AG
RPM said:

Too Fat Polka lyrics

Here's a silly ditty, you can sing it night or day
or sing it while you play, or sing it while you may.
Here's a silly jingle, you can sing it night or noon,
Here's the words, that's all you need, cause I just sing the tune,
(chorus 1)
Oh, I don't want her, you can have her,
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat for me.
Please do that for me.
She's too fat, she's too fat,
She's too fat for me.
New official GB anthem?
agnerd
AG
I don't get my panties in a wad when some Yankee says he's going to have a "BBQ" when he really means he's going to throw some burgers on the grill.
Bruce Almighty
AG
And I call all soda Coke. The horror!
MouthBQ98
AG
You freakin heathens that can't even grasp kolache is already plural.

You wouldn't say Chineses.
Furlock Bones
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Your culture has been appropriated. Deal with it and be thankful. Texas only appropriates the best.
as i said on FB, Texas, fixing the world's mistakes 1 pastry at a time.
The Milkman
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

You freakin heathens that can't even grasp kolache is already plural.

You wouldn't say Chineses.
No but I would say "tamales" instead of tamale already being plural
FW Declerk
I went to Prague didn't see one kolachi there
JJxvi
AG
Sweet. I was waiting for an "I went to Prague" quote on this thread.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
JJxvi said:

Sweet. I was waiting for an "I went to Prague" quote on this thread.
Bird Dog
AG
Plural is tamales, singular is tamal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.