Houston
Sponsored by

Super Bowl 51 question

4,761 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by gindaloon
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Super Bowl 51 happens here on February 5th. I've lived in Houston a decently long time but I got here about a year after Super Bowl 38. Since I'm a Super Bowl virgin, can people fill me in on what it was like last time regarding the following:

• Out of town people generally
  • Celebrities
  • Hookers/Strippers
  • Increased Crowds
  • Increased Traffic

Or any other topics that may be worth discussing.
Texaggie7nine
yep
yep
yep
yep
yep
7nine
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So you can but you just don't want to?
schmendeler
AG
my wife (then girlfriend) and her sister went to the galleria to ogle celebrities. I think the closest they got was to be outside a store while it was locked and Justin Timberlake was inside.
Texaggie7nine
No. I'm saying all those things will occur.
7nine
The Milkman
AG
blindey said:

I've lived in Houston a decently long time but I got here about a year after Super Bowl 38.
Sounds like you are pretty new to town.
The Wonderer
AG
blindey said:

So Super Bowl 51 happens here on February 5th. I've lived in Houston a decently long time but I got here about a year after Super Bowl 38. Since I'm a Super Bowl virgin, can people fill me in on what it was like last time regarding the following:

• Out of town people generally meh
  • Celebrities yep, have fun navigating "security" if out and about
  • Hookers/Strippers so much
  • Increased Crowds yep
  • Increased Traffic yep

Or any other topics that may be worth discussing.
I'm staying home during that weekend. Not worth fighting the crowds and traffic.
Chewy
AG
Traffic sucks worse than you could ever imagine, any party or bar worth going to is invite only, and it'll be easier to see celebrities on TV than in person.

Think of it as cookoff but to a magnitude of 1,000. If you don't have an invite anywhere then just stay home and even then that invite might not be as glorious as it seems if the pass came via someone you don't really know.

More than anything it's a good reminder of how lolpoor you really are.
MAS444
AG
Had a blast the last time around... Too old and married/babied up this time... Have fun youngens.
Liquid Wrench
I had to park and take light rail to my office Downtown for a week because my garage got leased out. That was the only way the SB impacted my life at all last time.

Heard some lame celebrity sighting. I wouldn't worry about running into any A-listers at the neighborhood sports bar.

I doubt it will impact you any more than OTC or Rodeo. Which means the top scrip club talent will prolly be too busy for you.

*Edit: basically what Chewy said.
Sean Mercer
Worked as a volunteer ground crew/baggage handler at Sugar Land Airport. Saw a huge amount of traffic with multiple celebrities flying in for the weekend. Did not receive salary, but the c-notes were flying as tips.

J-Lo and P Diddy were probably the biggest names that I "helped".
1208HawkTree
AG
We went to a couple of the concerts they had at Minute Maid and they were great. Didn't mess with any of the BS around Kirby
KDubAg
AG
Going to be a cluster F. If I could, I'd leave town.
Olsen
AG
It will be like the NBA All Star Weekend except this event is 10x bigger. You will see lots of top notch limousines around the Discovery Green area.
digging tunnels
AG
Stay away from Galleria as much as possible. Think it was literally at max capacity
JYDog90
AG
schmendeler said:

my wife (then girlfriend) and her sister went to the galleria to ogle celebrities. I think the closest they got was to be outside a store while it was locked and Justin Timberlake was inside.

The wife and I did this: Janet Jackson and Cedric the Entertainer were all we saw.

Went to the game...frankly thought it was a bit overrated. One event in which the event didn't match expectations. I understand that the Masters is one of the few events that does.
TXAG 05
AG
willie wonka said:

schmendeler said:

The wife and I did this: Janet Jackson and Cedric the Entertainer were all we saw.

Went to the game...frankly thought it was a bit overrated. One event in which the event didn't match expectations. I understand that the Masters is one of the few events that does.

This. Went last time as well. In person, it's just another game. The Super Bowl is about getting together with your friends, doing squares, the commercials etc.
Al Bula
AG
This.

Leave Galleria celeb stalkings to the poors who travel to pro sports events to bang athletes or the E! channel addicts.
JYDog90
AG
Except it's not even as exciting as a normal game because more than half the folks there were going no matter who's in the game. So one team scores a touchdown and you don't have the gigantic home crowd roar, instead most folks cheer as if to say, "Yay! I'm glad it's a good game!"
Dr. Venkman
AG
Rented out my house on VRBO and skipping town.
aggiedata
AG
houston ran out of high end champagne

schmellba99
AG
Strippers will be imported from across the globe. They arrive about a week early to negotiate rates with the clubs. Last go around The Church had some incredible talent from what I was told. I wouldn't know, because I got transferred to El Paso about 4 months before the SB. Had to live vicariously through co-workers.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Rented out my house on VRBO and skipping town.
what kind of rates did you get? what kind of place? What area?
TexAgs1992
Parents own a special events venue downtown and already have one party booked for a top line magazine and two others in the works. Last time it was in town, we hosted an event for Rodney and Holly Robinson Peete's foundation. It makes the 80% of weddings we do each year worth it for weekends like this.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
willie wonka said:

Except it's not even as exciting as a normal game because more than half the folks there were going no matter who's in the game. So one team scores a touchdown and you don't have the gigantic home crowd roar, instead most folks cheer as if to say, "Yay! I'm glad it's a good game!"

I've been to two (not in Houston) and neither of them were anything like this. Maybe you guys went to the one boring Super Bowl? I'd take being in the stadium over squares and commercials every time.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I am tempted to try to get tickets. Anyone have experience from last time?
Mustang1
AG
Imagine if it's Cowboys v Patriots.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

I am tempted to try to get tickets. Anyone have experience from last time?
Same. Didn't get any as a season ticket holder.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Mustang1 said:

Imagine if it's Cowboys v Patriots.
Hope so cause the Boys would beat that ass.
gindaloon
AG
Had an extra free ticket last SB in Houston and we sold it below face 30min before kickoff. Plenty of others were being offered at face or less just before kick. If you are going to try and get one from a scalper at NRG make sure you research all the security measures on each ticket so you can inspect accordingly.

I went to a SB in New Orleans with two teams I did not care about. The game was anticlimactic compared to all of the private/corporate parties leading up to the game. Went to a SB in Pasadena with a team I did care about and the game itself was awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.