Houston
Sponsored by

Mileage runs out of IAH

6,105 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg08
Rickeybob93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know of a good forum that discusses mileage runs specifically out of Houston? I know of a few forums that talk about runs out of cities all over the US but very few ever originate out of IAH. Trying to get over the 1K hump with United for 2017 now that my platinum seems to continually become less valuable.
Madman
AG
I'm not really sure what you were asking. Every time I book a flight it tells me how many miles I will get with United. Both program miles and bonus miles
Madman
AG
And if you are really only concerned about status watch for United's sale early in January. They will sell status then for slightly less then at other times. It will be expensive though
Serotonin
AG
Madman said:

I'm not really sure what you were asking. Every time I book a flight it tells me how many miles I will get with United. Both program miles and bonus miles

This is where people post cheap flight segment combos that get lots of miles. An example would be Houston to Boston to Seattle to Houston for $280.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
www.escapehouston.com
BMX Bandit
what is 1k compared to platinum?
Silky Johnston
Flyertalk.com has several forums. Not sure if there is one specific to IAH
AgCPA95
AG
You may want to check some IAH - LAX combos and dates. I've had to got there a few times this year including about a month ago for work and it was very CHEAP non-stop on United. They must have been matching Spirit.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

www.escapehouston.com
schmendeler
AG
Gator03 said:

Madman said:

This is where people post cheap flight segment combos that get lots of miles. An example would be Houston to Boston to Seattle to Houston for $280.
I want that. where do I buy those tickets?
rodubls
AG
FlyerTalk is the only place I've ever seen mention of MR's in the past.
Diggity
AG
doesn't United give miles based on ticket cost rather than distance now, or did I dream that?
htxag09
AG
Diggity said:

doesn't United give miles based on ticket cost rather than distance now, or did I dream that?

Points yes. But your status is still based off miles.
Diggity
AG
Gotcha
neomoon
AG
I frequently use Flight Deals and then use ITA Software travel calendar to pick cheapest dates from IAH to the start city of the deal.

Usually it works out really well, best ones are cross country i.e.: SFO->LGA (flight deal) so I look for the cheapest round-trip flight from IAH->SFO via travel calendar so total trip is: IAH-SFO-LGA-SFO-IAH the best ones are international trips to asian countries.
Mustang1
AG
OP, How many more miles you need to get to 1K by yr-end?
Jock 07
AG
Mustang1 said:

How many miles you need to get to 1K?
Probably 1K?
JYDog90
AG
To do this one time I flew from Ellington to IAH to DFW to Midland to IAH and then to Ellington.

You can go to lax this afternoon for $132
Jock 07
AG
when were you able to fly commercially out of Ellington?
Bondag
AG
Jock 07 said:

When continental was around they had a flight from Ellington to IAH. Probably post 9/11.
Jock 07
AG
that's crazy, I thought the flight from COS to DIA was short
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Jock 07 said:

I think this was something that they offered to compete with Southwest as a sort of freebie for people that lived south of town.
Rickeybob93
AG
Doesn't look like my schedule is going to allow me to hit the 1K for 2016. Going to hit it hard in January with some of the cheaper fares available and work on 2017-18 1K status. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
RK
AG
I'm probably out of this league as I'm not a hardcore traveler...I typically live in the platinum world and can't fathom spending an hour or a dime to increase my already ****ty status for a slightly less ****ty status.
drwong
AG
Best thing about the old Ellington shuttle was parking was free. Think you got miles for it too.
AgCPA95
AG
drwong said:

Best thing about the old Ellington shuttle was parking was free. Think you got miles for it too.
I'm pretty sure you did get miles and a segment. Old coworker lived a few miles from there and used it regularly - as no surprise he said security was also a breeze
drwong
AG
That was also pre 9/11 though so security was a lot easier everywhere. One problem though was if you missed the shuttle, Continental would cancel your leg out of IAH too. That happened to me once, overslept and sped up to IAH only to find out that my seat had been given away. But overall, the shuttle was awesome.
Zobel
AG
I found out last night that 1k gets those snack boxes in economy for free. So you got that going for ya.
BMX Bandit
If the reward is a snack box, why would you fly needlessly to reach that goal?
Zobel
AG
Oh you also get in the upgrade list a little sooner, free access to economy plus, you can upgrade up to 6 traveling companions to economy plus, check a heavier bag, etc.

But to be honest the snack is the real deal.
Jock 07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

If the reward is a snack box, why would you fly needlessly to reach that goal?

Dat salami and cheese spread tho
AlaskanAg08
AG
Use ITA and also follow FareDealAlert on twitter. (https://twitter.com/FareDealAlert) He posts good stuff but you usually have to be pretty quick...as in under 24 hours quick. I went on 2 IAH-LAX MR's last year in hopes of getting global services with over 25k in spend (didnt happen).

Also, the last few months, UA has been flying a 744 back and forth from SFO to ORD. Its now on an irregular basis since mid May. If you find one, that could be a fun run. Redeem a RPU/GPU and sit up top on a domestic flight before the 747's are all out in the desert!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.