Houston
Sponsored by

High speed rail from HTine to Dallas

25,848 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JJxvi
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

The proposed terminus station in Houston is near 290/10/610 intersection. So Most of Houston would have significant travel time to or from the station.
Wouldn't that be true of any location? I hope no one was expecting it to be within walking distance of their home. Of course, then you'd have something to protest.
CDUB98
AG
Maybe I shouldn't have used terminus, but Oak Forest doesn't want it. Oak Forest is pretty close to that terminus.

One of the plans had it coming through and the old farts and hipsters revolted.
JJxvi
AG
Oak Forest is nowhere near it. The closest house to the ROW in oak forest is over a half mile from the right of way and that's a section that I guarantee all the new NIMBYs in the neighborhood have no clue is even a part of oak forest since it is west of 290. The neighborhood is miles from the potential terminus.

Not that it's surprising, Oak Forest is what I figured you were gonna say.
David Carr
Numerous people post about technology replacing the need for travel yet for the last 15 years (sans 2008-2009 recession) passenger air traffic growth has been between 3% and 6% annually both domestically and globally. That growth is not leisure travelers. That increasing demand is also confirmed by the billions upon billions of dollars being spent around the globe to improve capacity at existing airports and building new airports. Look at the investment in Bush and Hobby over the last 5 years.
CDUB98
AG
It has been a couple of years, but IIRC, one of the proposed rail paths did have it coming down through the western end of OF on the East side of 290. They raised a big stink and got that potential route removed.

My memory is fuzzy though.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
klegldb06 said:

HerschelwoodHardhead said:

Out of curiosity, do high speed rails in other countries have significant delays due to weather? do the trains slow down, or cease operation if there is a thunderstorm?

I just got stuck on a 90 minute flight that took six hours to reach the destination because the runway was too foggy to land (3 aborted landings and a refuel stop in Huntsville, AL before we finally got on the ground).

If a high speed train was significantly more reliable for schedule, then I think this would make more sense.

Have you never watched Polar Express? Tom Hanks don't let that **** run late,yo! Dude drives that train through the worst weather and Canadian terrain ever all the way up to the North Pole.

Always on time

I think we've found the true solution. We need Tom Hanks to take over our mass transit operations. Whenever he takes the helm, everyone gets home safely and on schedule...
Bondag
AG
Neches21

Quote:

Numerous people post about technology replacing the need for travel yet for the last 15 years (sans 2008-2009 recession) passenger air traffic growth has been between 3% and 6% annually both domestically and globally. That growth is not leisure travelers.
According to what I just found in 1 minute of Google time, leisure travelers make up 70% of the airline consumer market.
Market Realist Article
And growth in air travel is related to higher living standards and lower air fairs.
Forbes: What Are The Factors Behind Soaring Air Travel Growth?
JJxvi
AG
My guess is that "leisure travel" between airports in Houston and Dallas is pretty negligible.
David Carr
Where does it say business travel is on the decline or projected to decline per your earlier premise?
tk for tu juan
Upcoming TX legislative session SB 243: Allows a county commissioners court to disapprove a condemnation if eminent domain is being exercised by a private entity
BMX Bandit
People still think this is being built?
JJxvi
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Upcoming TX legislative session SB 243: Allows a county commissioners court to disapprove a condemnation if eminent domain is being exercised by a private entity

Including oil pipelines? DOA
runlola
AG
Re the Oak Forest comments, the preferred HSR route had the terminus near downtown (for the logical connection to other forms of mass transit) with the path running on the existing railroad that parallels 34th and 43rd and crosses Ella and TC Jester. Very true that a good number of Garden Oaks, Shepherd Forest, Mangum Manor and Oak Forest residents were up in arms, but so were residents in the overarching Superneighborhood that extends far inside the loop. I live in Oak Forest and was for the preferred route because it seemed logical and required far less real estate acquisition than the route that was chosen. The biggest complaint was noise. I don't think the noise level would have changed from the already-existing freight trains that roll through constantly (I like the sound of trains-- I'm not one of the whiners that wants OF to be a quiet zone). And if you've ever read the OFHOA FB page, you know what a "treat" it can be- though quite entertaining. During the time the route was being decided upon, I thought a Civil War might erupt on there....
Aggie1
AG
Texas High-Speed Rail Plan Suffers Eminent Domain Setback in Court

http://www.enr.com/external_headlines/story?region=texas-louisiana&story_id=LHgjVC542ya_Dsllhc0-OlhrV7NT6vbXtH4wBXJiS-gF0U2NcpsNP8XwPtcgdg1aeNpNVUvoB4oO8caBghLk8uAtV0wjdnDSUOiHOPRzEaGhOrfo_FQl4ss449H8BhaJ&images_premium=1&define_caption=1
Al Bula
AG
Interesting. I can see this one going to the Supreme Court.
pilot
AG
I know that landowner...
JJxvi
AG
That would be pretty interesting if a court actually ended up ruling that a company intending to run passenger trains from Dallas to Houston was not a railroad company under the transportation code
BMX Bandit
Doesn't the code say they have to BE a railroad complaint? Not PLAN to be?

What's to stop Anyone from claiming they can come on your property because they plan to start a railroad?
BMX Bandit
Quote:

In a sworn statement at the hearing, Texas Central admitted to having less than 1% of funding needed for the project.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/economy/texas-central-rail-headed-to-court-in-land-survey-case-69178??utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser
The Original AG 76
AG
JJxvi said:

tk for tu juan said:

Including oil pipelines? DOA
will never see a committee hearing
Aggie1205
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2017/12/15/feds-pick-preferred-route-dallas-houston-bullet-train

They have selected a preferred route.
RC_57
AG
Aggie1205 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2017/12/15/feds-pick-preferred-route-dallas-houston-bullet-train

They have selected a preferred route.
How do you get rid of the annoying Dallas Morning News pop-up ad so one can read the article?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
After an exhaustive seventeen million dollar study, we have decided it should go next to I45. Thank you.
Al Bula
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

After an exhaustive seventeen million dollar study, we have decided it should go next to I45. Thank you.
that is not what the article says at all.
OnlyForNow
AG
Did you see that bird that just flew by?
BMX Bandit
they are going to be testing flying taxis in Dubai soon. yet some people still think a fixed rail is something worth building?

very glad this boondoggle is no closer to being built now than it was 5 years ago
Liquid Wrench
For good or bad, it's much closer than it was 5 yrs ago.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

How do you get rid of the annoying Dallas Morning News pop-up ad so one can read the article?

Refresh and hit x before the popup.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sinking billions of dollars into technology that is over 150 years out of date. Sounds like a government project for sure.

Maybe next we can get MD Anderson to drop its endowment and annual operating budget on a new phrenology wing:

Satellite of Love
The Houston Station is going to be a 290 and 610? SMFH....what a terrible spot to drop people in the city.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
AgCPA95
AG
Satellite of Love said:

The Houston Station is going to be a 290 and 610? SMFH....what a terrible spot to drop people in the city.
It is fairly central to the greater Houston population and it appears you would have huge parking garage attached - I would think most connecting traffic to the train would be personal car.
drumboy
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I think that would be one of the best dropoff points considering the direction that it's coming from. Convergence of 10 & 290, right at the loop and near the galleria. If you're too poor for an Uber you can catch a bus at the 290 HOV/bus facility right there too (no clue if you can actually get a bus there).
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Satellite of Love said:

it appears you would have huge parking garage attached - I would think most connecting traffic to the train would be personal car.
wow. Total government boondoggle. The purpose is self-defeated ten steps away from the train platform.
drumboy
AG
blindey said:

AgCPA95 said:

Satellite of Love said:

it appears you would have huge parking garage attached - I would think most connecting traffic to the train would be personal car.
wow. Total government boondoggle. The purpose is self-defeated ten steps away from the train platform.
You think trains can take folks directly to their house?

Cars aren't what makes me think this isn't a good use of funds, Southwest Airlines is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.