Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,460,454 Views | 13506 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by schmendeler
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I let them run down and just wind them and set them when I'm ready to wear it. I'm not one that changes watches daily...I normally go a week or so before I'm ready for a change. If I changed each day, I'd get a winder.
drumboy
AG
Where can I get a battery changed for less than $50?
JSKolache
AG
quote:
I'll do it for $49
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Any auto mechanic should be able to do it fairly cheaply. Most batteries will run you up towards $100. Not sure what this has to do with this thread.
Post removed:
by user
captkirk
AG
quote:
I don't bother with the winders. It takes about 15 seconds to set the things.
+1
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:
Any auto mechanic should be able to do it fairly cheaply. Most batteries will run you up towards $100. Not sure what this has to do with this thread.
I have a couple watches that I think are nice and I'd like some recs for getting the batteries replaced. I paid $60 last time at the independent place in Baybrook cause the jewelry store that sells Tissots recommended him. Another one of my watches is dead now.
TP Ag '87
AG
Memorial Watch Repair does it for ~$10.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thinking of maybe buying my wife a new watch as all of hers are cheap garbage. Was chatting with a coworker today and he mentioned Hudson River watches. I didn't see anything particularly feminine. Anyone have any ideas of places to look for a couple hundred dollars watch for a girl?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
The wifey loves her Baume and Mercier Classima. Take a look at it.

Oppps didn't read the last part of a couple hundred bucks. My bad
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Thinking of maybe buying my wife a new watch as all of hers are cheap garbage. Was chatting with a coworker today and he mentioned Hudson River watches. I didn't see anything particularly feminine. Anyone have any ideas of places to look for a couple hundred dollars watch for a girl?

Don't know about brands, but let her pick it out, because we all know which ever one you chose will be the wrong one.
captkirk
AG
New arrival:

Just got this in today. Very special watch. Only 2000 ever made. Omega Speedmaster 125 (Made by Omega in 1973 for their 125th anniversary). First ever automatic chronograph-chronometer ever produced by any watchmaker. Its HUGE and not for everyone, but I wanted something different in my collection. Its 43 years old and looks like it just came out of the box:

schmendeler
AG
Looks like something the large henchman of a bond villain would wear.

In a good way.
captkirk
AG
quote:
Looks like something the large henchman of a bond villain would wear.

In a good way.
Its really cool as hell. My tastes are weird, so may not be liked by all.
Waltonloads08
AG
I have a yellow gold Aggie ring and wedding band. I don't particularly like combining a stainless steel watch with those rings, so I went black with a leather band. Not a expensive watch, but I like the look (and spend most of my money on daycare these days).

schmendeler
AG
That link doesn't work.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
That link doesn't work.

Yup, fixed...dang code
captkirk
AG
Looks good. Band worth more than watch.
schmendeler
AG
I like that look. Nice
schmendeler
AG
What band is that?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't bother with the winders. It takes about 15 seconds to set the things.
+1

+2
Farmer1906
AG
That is one of my few issues with the Speedmaster's. There is a special edition, or limited release every damn year. There really isn't anything all that special about them at this point. Don't worry I have one of the anniversary pieces too. At this point the only SE I have my eye on is the meteorite one. It just sounds cool and looks even better. The real holy grail of that line in one with a 321 with mostly original parts. I am going to spend entirely too much money on that at some point.
captkirk
AG
The Speedy 125 has a cal 1041 movement that is quite unique
Waltonloads08
AG
Heck it's the stock band.

I think any NATO with black links would look good as well.

http://www.timex.com/watches/waterbury-tw2p64700
schmendeler
AG
ah, i see. i was casually looking for a leather nato style band that was nicely made as another option for the seiko i just got.
Waltonloads08
AG
schmendeler said:

ah, i see. i was casually looking for a leather nato style band that was nicely made as another option for the seiko i just got.

Search leather NATO bands on Etsy, you'll find some good handmade options
jh0400
AG
Joined the SKX007 club this morning.
TP Ag '87
AG
Good. Assume you were told the secret handshake as well?
drumboy
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

Memorial Watch Repair does it for ~$10.
Just went by there and they said it was going to be $20 because the back was held on my screws or something but the old guy knocked $5 off cause of my A&M shirt. Thanks for the rec.
TP Ag '87
AG
Cool.. Glad to help. (they've never given ME that Ag discount!)
JSKolache
AG
OMG - unscrew it and replace battery. Batteries are like $6. No need to take them in if the back is easy enough to remove.
aTm2004
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

OMG - unscrew it and replace battery. Batteries are like $6. No need to take them in if the back is easy enough to remove.
It depends on the watch. If it's something like a Timex Ironman where you can open the back with a screwdriver, you, then you just need to make sure you get the seal back correctly so it stays water resistant. Most watches require a special tool to remove the back, which 99.999% of people won't have. Also, if its a higher end quartz, you'd want to have it pressure tested as well before hopping back into the pool.
captkirk
AG
Unusual bracelet on this thing. Got a few links removed today

drumboy
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

I'm all for DIY but my Nixon cratered the first time in the water after I changed the battery.
TP Ag '87
AG
Yeah not worth $10-15 risk to me.

But that's just me. Seems like good risk transfer to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.