Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone know anything about this portion of the Fourth Ward?

1,350 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by E
txaggie_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this somewhere where I would need to worry about my property being stolen? Looking at possibly renting a townhome in the area.

Insert this into Google Maps to find the approximate location: 29.75579,-95.38223
jetch17
AG
You will likely be loved tenderly.
kelkel25
Stolen? Fawth ward? Naaaaah son
AGGIE70MAN
AG
I would say if a neighborhood has the word "Ward" in it, it's probably best to avoid it....
txaggie_08
AG
Like this??

AggieDave02
AG
Freedman's Town
North Mayne
AG
People in the 4th Ward are VERY aggressive.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
I would say if a neighborhood has the word "Ward" in it, it's probably best to avoid it....

I would say you are about 1/2 right
rjamizon
i would say as a single man, you are fine. if you have a lady friend, probably not so much.
rjamizon
Also, to answer your question, I looked into buying there about a year ago. I spoke with a potential neighbor about crime and theft in the area. He said that in the 6 months before there were a bunch of home invasions in the area (like 10) but they stopped all of the sudden. When I asked him why, he said because somebody killed the home invader with a shotgun when he invaded the wrong place.

See? Guns do serve a purpose.
Al Bula
AG
Are these the people on the news who get all butthurt about gentrification? Or is that another Ward who wants to live on land but can't afford it?
BarryProfit
hmmm...

Hard to tell. Streetview looks iffy, but that area is sooo close to great parts of town. I suspect you would be fine but it might make you a little uncomfortable at times. Sorry not much help.
txaggie_08
AG
Yeah, the street view had some questionable people walking around and some questionable homes.

But it is close to some nice areas.

To the poster that asked about gentrification, I believe this is that area. I was reading up on Freedmen's Land.
txaggie_08
AG
Yeaaah, not going to live there. Too sketch around it. The front door had marks on it where a crowbar tried to pry it open.
AGGIE70MAN
AG
Yep crowbar marks on the front door is kinda sketchy lol
Stasco
AG
Shotguns.
Diggity
AG
the locals get pissed off when you just drive down that street so I'm not sure they would take kindly to you living there. best to stay south of gray.

[This message has been edited by Diggity (edited 7/11/2013 5:58p).]
CheeseSndwch
quote:
Are these the people on the news who get all butthurt about gentrification? Or is that another Ward who wants to live on land but can't afford it?

You are probably thinking of the 3rd Ward. Lots of the residents have yard signs that read "3rd Ward is Our Home and It's Not For Sale!"
Catch
AG
quote:
Also, to answer your question, I looked into buying there about a year ago. I spoke with a potential neighbor about crime and theft in the area. He said that in the 6 months before there were a bunch of home invasions in the area (like 10) but they stopped all of the sudden. When I asked him why, he said because somebody killed the home invader with a shotgun when he invaded the wrong place.

See? Guns do serve a purpose.

This was not 6 months ago. It was many years ago. One of the houses on Buckner close to Ruthven. Bum broke into dudes garage and got blown away. Then the dude had an even worse time with bums because they were all harassing him, throwing **** on his house and all sorts of other issues. Put up a fence, got a dog and in time they faded away. One of my best friends lives right there in the town homes on Buckner and Ruthven. I had my truck broken into once, but only because I left it unlocked. Had a few friends get their vehicles broken into in the area closer to the map location, all three of them had left computers or iPads in the plain site. The bums around there are usually pretty cordial and harmless. All and all it's not a terrible area. Probably wouldn't want to get much further from 45 though.
04aggiegirl
AG
Before we were married, my husband owned a house there... After we were engaged he sold it. Ladies don't want to live there.

Btw heights is 6th ward...
HotardAg07
AG
To ve fair, you're not safe anywhere in Houston from Theft.
keysercade
AG
I live just south of Gray on Oneil... I love the area, but would say the northside of it is spotty at best. Drive by there at a few different times of the day and see who is around. If you feel comfortable after that then go for it.
keysercade
AG
quote:
Before we were married, my husband owned a house there... After we were engaged he sold it. Ladies don't want to live there.

Also very true, my GF just moved in and isn't thrilled about the neighborhood yet.
chico
AG
Heights is not 6th Ward.
North Mayne
AG
quote:
Btw heights is 6th ward...

Nyet
E
AG
It's an area that is probably being slowly gentrified. Hopefully in 5 years it will be nice and property value will be way up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.