Houston
Sponsored by

GMAT Prep

2,099 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by jh0400
TX87JL09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nobody answered it on the other boards... I'm sure it's already been asked so I'm sorry for repeating the question (sorta...). Which GMAT test prep course is the best one offered in Houston?

I'm going to take one but I'd just like to hear from someone who had a positive experience before I sign up.
TX87JL09
AG
TIA
jh0400
AG
I used the following books. Have you taken the test before? If so, what did you score? If not, what's your baseline practice test score?

+

+

Aggiemike96
AG
I'm gearing up to use Manhattan GMAT. Gonna drop the $1K to make sure I'm 100% ready.
GCRanger
AG
Leisure Learning had a course that I took back in 2006 but I'm not sure if they still do it. The teacher previously worked for Kaplan or Princeton Review. The course was only a couple hundred bucks but it really helped.
agmatt06
AG
As somebody else asked, have you taken the GMAT before?

What/where do you want to go?

People put a lot of pressure on themselves to do well on that test, but it is only a portion of what will get you into an MBA Program.
AggieJoji
AG
Unless you are trying to go Ivy, I wouldn't pay anything. I took it cold and got a 710. Don't freak yourself out. I am going to UH and it was more than enough to get in.
jh0400
AG
There is something you should know about published GMAT scores. The upper end of the published range for each school is set by kids from India who spend one to two years studying for the test. You don't have to have the highest score on the test to get in, but you do want to be at or above the median to increase your odds.

Secondly, the best thing you can do to help your case is to differentiate yourself with your essays. In admissions, similar applicants are grouped together. The foreign engineers are evaluated against other foreign engineers. The US engineers are evaluated against each other, etc. You either have to be near the top of your specific subgroup, or be so unique that you can't be grouped with any other applicants.

From what you've posted on here, I assume that you will be the only 38 year old accountant applying to most b-schools. Because of that, you can probably get into Rice with a 650 and a compelling story of what you want to do afterward.
TX87JL09
AG
I don't know if you're talking to me or not but I'm not a 38 y/o accountant. I am however looking to get into Rice's Professional MBA program.

I'm not really looking to for tips on applying at this point, just trying to ace the GMAT and THEN worry about my applications.

Isn't that the best way to approach it?
TX87JL09
AG
Oh and no, I haven't taken it yet.

I'm 25 and my GPA is mediocre, so I think I'll need a high GMAT score and good essays/apps in order to get in anywhere worthwhile.
jh0400
AG
quote:
I don't know if you're talking to me or not but I'm not a 38 y/o accountant. I am however looking to get into Rice's Professional MBA program.

I was thinking of Aggiemike when I wrote that. If you're not an engineer and can tell a compelling story, you can get into Rice's PMBA with a 2.7 and a 660+ GMAT. They're a lot more lenient with their PMBA program, because it is expensive and there are no scholarships available for that program.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.