Houston
Sponsored by

Is it me or is Mattress Mack looking sick?

40,799 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Burnsey
BoxingAg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been watching these Gallery Furniture commercials on Channel 2, and it looks like he's very sick.

And I've also noticed that his daughter is appearing in more commercials all of a sudden.

Does anyone know what's going on?
jopatura
AG
I've thought that for awhile, but I also know the fire took a lot out of him. I went by Gallery Furniture about a month after the fire because we needed a new mattress and he had looked like he aged about 10 to 20 years in that month.
ccolley68
AG
It doesn't help that he dresses like a buffoon (I can't believe I am going fashion police on the guy), but I have noticed what y'all are talking about, and this is the best my wife and I can figure. Obviously it's Texas here, and obviously he is the ever present salesman, and he seems to think it wise to wear a cowboy hat 10 sizes too big so he looks like a little boy in dad's hat. Also, following the Texas theme of his schtick, he wears a belt buckle that's bigger than the biggest Cavender's has to offer by a long shot, and he does this in b****
ccolley68
AG
It doesn't help that he dresses like a buffoon (I can't believe I am going fashion police on the guy), but I have noticed what y'all are talking about, and this is the best my wife and I can figure. Obviously it's Texas here, and obviously he is the ever present salesman, and
he seems to think it wise to wear a cowboy hat 10 sizes too big so
he looks like a little boy in dad's hat. Also, following the Texas
theme of his schtick, he wears a belt buckle that's bigger than the
biggest Cavender's has to offer by a long shot, and he does this in
b**** pleated front khakis, which do no one any favors. His Texas flag shirt just helps to seal the deal that the guy is ridiculous. Slight wardrobe change and he may not look like his costume is going to swallow him whole.
Bob Kelso
AG
His daughter has massive OCD.
blumby
AG
He has two daughters. One has massive OCD. The other one (Laura) went to my high school. I think I've seen her in some commercials.
tamug90
i believe he got divorced. he just needs his brother to give him some of his lbs.
Catch
AG
Maybe he's back on coke.
RK
AG
he has really toned it down for the new set of commercials.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
He does look like he has dropped some weight, not in a good way. I hope he is ok.
Texaggie7nine
The dude is on full speed 100% of the day. If it's not business, it's charity work. I think it's just catching up with him.

Texas A&M
Even though he has the ego of a rock star, he's done a ton of good in the community. I hope he's ok.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Maybe he's back on coke.
BoxingAg84
Bump.

I refuse to believe he's on coke.
TAMUAGGIES
Diet Coke
AG
His workaholism has caught up to him....

"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
After watching several commercials since this thread first appeared, I really think he is sick. His face is kind of gray, he looks tired and he has obviously lost some weight. Again, I hope he is ok.

I also hope he buys new shirts that fit his new size.
GoAgs92
AG
I've probably been to gallery furniture about 7 times...that guy is there every single time.

One time I was there picking up a bench and they had just started one of the pick the super bowl champ and get free furniture deals....I told him I wish I had known about the contest because I would have bet one side and hedged the other side with a bookie...

[This message has been edited by GoAgs92 (edited 11/2/2011 9:12a).]
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
've probably been to gallery furniture about 7 times...that guy is there every single time.

This +1. And spoken with us every time we've been there. He's a salesman - he compliments our kids, and makes sure someone is johnny on the spot helping us. I know some employees say he's a jerk, but he's always very pleasant to us..
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
Ive been thinking the same thing, looking sick. Hope he's ok. Only time I ever met him was when he came and spoke to my Jr. High. I remember him saying "do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" and that stuck w/ me. I love what i do and wouldnt do anything else. Hope he's ok.
Noble07
AG
I remembering seeing him at an event at the Bush Library. He drove up in some old pick up with a gallery furniture bumper sticker.

The dude is probably too cheap to buy new clothes.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
He drove up in some old pick up with a gallery furniture bumper sticker.

The dude is probably too cheap to buy new clothes

Uhh...no. Back in '01, I was going up to the WCL to study and was parking in the lot behind the library near the med school, and I was doing the usual stalking of people to get a spot. I saw one guy walking toward me, so I stopped and to see where he was going. As he got closer, I noticed it was Mac and he got into a silver SL500 and drove off.

And the only time I've actually spoke to him was when my dad bought some furniture at Gallery. They brought it around and an employee, my dad and I were loading it into the truck. Mac saw and ran up to us and made us put it down. He had the employee run in and grab a couple of people to help, then they all (Mac included) loaded the furniture. Mac told us that we were his customers and shouldn't be loading it. On the way home, my dad said that is how a business should be ran, and I mentioned it was probably a legal reason for us not doing it, and my dad stated that if it was only legal, he wouldn't have helped when the employees arrived.
agproducer
AG
He's apparently not sick, just running a lot and losing weight. He's participating with employees on a quest to be healthier.
AgDrumma07
AG
He might be healthier, but he still looks sick.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
When I worked for him way back when during summers and winter breaks, that guy was there at 7 am and didn't leave until 11 pm on most days. Apparently that's the way he has always been. Dude was a friggin workoholic. He has to finally be getting burnt out
Chewy
AG
Dude is a freaking workaholic. I audited him back when I worked at the state. I worked with his wife Linda and one day I was there it was their son's birthday and they were discussing whether or not they had time to take him out to dinner.

He's not always there at 7 and leaving at 11 but if he's not he's out in the community looking to drive business for his store.

I commend the man for what he's accomplished but there's no secret to his success and that's to work hard and treat people right. Don't sell what you don't have and when a truck is full of furniture it leaves the dock for delivery and doesn't come back until it's empty. Just back another truck and repeat the process.

The reason he's never opened another store is because he can only be in one place. Sales go down by as much as 60% when he's not on the floor talking to people and keeping his employees focused on moving furniture.

Say what you want about the man but he's earned everything he has.

EDIT - Unless things have changed he doesn't have a desk much less an office. They sit him down on Fridays and give him the numbers and that's about it. When I audited him he didn't even know who his CPA was when I was introduced to him. He thought we were buying furniture.

[This message has been edited by Chewy (edited 11/2/2011 3:55p).]
jetch17
AG
Arent there 2 Gallery Furnitures now? Oer by the container store and Kenny & Ziggys on post oak?
Chewy
AG
I don't live in Houston anymore but thought the one on Post Oak closed since it was temporary as the other location got rebuilt post flammage.

Maybe it's still open since he likely paid cash for the space and it's making money but I remember him saying he wouldn't open another location because he felt he could only control one.
BoxingAg84
Henry07 is correct.
When Mattress Mack goes to speaking engagements, he drives a small white "average joe" pickup truck.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Running will do that to ya
Bondag
AG
quote:
Arent there 2 Gallery Furnitures now? Oer by the container store and Kenny & Ziggys on post oak?

Are you suggesting they cloned him and that is why he doesn't look healthy?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Seeing the guy now, I'd be shocked if he makes it 12 more months.

Makes me sad, Jims a living legend and this town owes him a debt of gratitude.

SlackerAg
AG
I bought a book he wrote a long time ago I saw at the Half Price Books. His work ethic is insane.
helloag99
Ducks4brkfast said:

Seeing the guy now, I'd be shocked if he makes it 12 more months.

Makes me sad, Jims a living legend and this town owes him a debt of gratitude.

Cancer?

Something is wrong...

He is a GREAT MAN!
htxag09
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't slept since Harvey hit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.