Houston
Sponsored by

Is it me or is Mattress Mack looking sick?

40,800 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Burnsey
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lost a lot of weight...look at how much extra belt there is.
AgCPA95
AG
jetch17 said:

Arent there 2 Gallery Furnitures now? Oer by the container store and Kenny & Ziggys on post oak?
I believe Post Oak is still open so 3 stores. Newest is on 99 in Richmond/South Katy
Bregxit
AG
He is exhausted. Other than that he doesn't physically look any different than when we chatted with him while buying our son's bedroom set a few years back. Once he gets some sleep he'll look normal again.
jetch17
AG
AgCPA95 said:

jetch17 said:

Arent there 2 Gallery Furnitures now? Oer by the container store and Kenny & Ziggys on post oak?
I believe Post Oak is still open so 3 stores. Newest is on 99 in Richmond/South Katy

Correct, that previous post was from 2011
Aggie Rick
AG
Saw him completely wasted at Mountasia Willowbrook in 1996.
Clavell
AG
So basically he's been on death's door for the last 6 years?
Boo Weekley
Can you imagine partying with 1986 Mattress Mac?

Also, I knew none of this...pretty cool...

Quote:

Jim McIngvale started Gallery Furniture with $5,000 and his own pickup truck after a potential investor did not follow through with a proposed loan. Initially, he did fairly well. But when the oil industry took a turn for the worse, he found his business slowing dramatically. Taking the last $10,000 to his name, Mattress Mack invested in local television commercials in 1983. "I was doing an ad, and I was frustrated," said McIngvale. He continued, "I couldn't come up with a punch line. Finally, I pulled some money out of my pocket and yelled, 'Gallery Furniture saves you money!'" The phrase caught on and has become well known throughout the greater Houston community. Gallery Furniture, established in 1981, has been consistently ranked in Furniture Today's Top 100 Furniture Retailers for some time and currently ranks as the Sales-per-Square-Foot leader for independent retailers in the United States. The store has around $200 million in sales per year. It originally sold less expensive furniture targeted toward lower-income individuals but has since expanded to include higher-end furniture.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Did he have the monkey off his back yet?
jonj101
I'm not sure about his health status, but his work ethic and the efforts he makes to engage the community is astounding.

This week he is coming to Pearland to speak to a non-profit group that my wife works with. The group does great work but they're not huge like say a United Way or anything like that, yet he still is making time to go out there and do it.
jetch17
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

Did he have the monkey off his back yet?
man this was a blast right back to elementary in one sentence
Diggity
AG
did he hit up every school in the Houston area? that's a lot of community service hours!
Chewy
AG
Mack is fine. He's like Houston itself where people are always worried about how it looks as it's not the prettiest but there's a spirit that soldiers on.

Someone will pop this thing up a decade from now and Mack will still be on the North Freeway trading furniture for cash money in his pocket.

Busting ass for transactions is more important than looking pretty for nothing in this town and nobody embodies it better than Mattress Mack.
Boo Weekley
Chewy said:

Mack is fine. He's like Houston itself where people are always worried about how it looks as it's not the prettiest but there's a spirit that soldiers on.

Someone will pop this thing up a decade from now and Mack will still be on the North Freeway trading furniture for cash money in his pocket.

Busting ass for transactions is more important than looking pretty for nothing in this town and nobody embodies it better than Mattress Mack.
HU$TLE TINE
Liquid Wrench
This board knows all about cash transactions on the North Freeway.
Burnsey
AG
Catch said:

Maybe he's back on coke.
Pathetic.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.