Houston
Sponsored by

Chron posts Houston city employees salaries

9,093 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Waltonloads08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5878319.html

these are the people with the most overtime pay.

the top spot is close to $100,000 in OT. Im sure Marcella just works that hard.

[This message has been edited by WaltonLoads08 (edited 7/9/2008 11:12a).]
houstontexan
you should see the cops making $150k on "overtime."
Waltonloads08
AG
"database unavailable until 11:30 AM"
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
i bust my f*&kin ass when i work OT. A regular 8 hr shift followed by another 7-8 hrs. of pro-active work (getting lots of guns, drugs and warrants off the street). Raises and promotions come slow in our work and we get paid very little for the type of stuff we have to do. So, Im not going to feel bad for getting paid extra.

And I'm sure the vast majority of the private sector would be doing the exact same thing if it was available to them-whats the difference? because were cops were not allowed to be paid well??

and BTW-my name is no where near the top of that list.

"I am a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and to confront the wolf."
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT

[This message has been edited by Ag of Enlightenment (edited 7/9/2008 11:33a).]
Diggity
AG
quote:
And I'm sure the vast majority of the private sector would be doing the exact same thing if it was available to them

No offense, but most of the private sector would never be incompetent enough to allow this to happen.
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
what do you mean? the severe understaffing and lack of budget? of course not. theres no way a private company would let this happen.

NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
Ducks4brkfast
AG
this is some hard core journalism.
Diggity
AG
I'm certainly not blaming any cops for taking full advantage of the overtime...just disgusted that the city would allow this under staffing to occur in the first place.
houstontexan
ag of enlightenment, $150K worth? no.

i'm talking about cops sitting in court ALL day and working the system. if you're HPD, you know what i'm talking about.

and if money is really that important to you, you probably should have picked a different profession.
Guitarsoup
AG
Carol Alvarado and her staff is probably disgusted at this misuse of city funds.
Ryan the Temp
AG
All the information is public because City employees are on the taxpayer dime - I don't have a problem with that.

What does concern me, however, is that this is going to create a lot of tension among City employees, particularly those in lower pay grades for whom money is a real issue. I think you will see a lot of complaints start flying about salaries. I think there should have been more discretion and consideration of how this would affect morale and personnel issues among City employees.

The comments on the Chron website effectively demonstrate that a lot of folks want City employees to basically work for free, because any amount of pay is too much. The overwhelming majority of City employees aren't becoming "fat cows" on the City payroll. in fact, a lot of City employees are vastly underpaid by market standards.
rdag04
AG
damn. i need to start doing security at schools.
dreyOO
what i don't get is: if there's a lack of budget in the first place, what is OT paid with?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Many agencies budget OT.
rdag04
AG
and often OT is paid from accounts that are projected to come in underbudget
kansas02gt
AG
i'm guessing sheila jackson lee will have another press conference.....yay.

as far as overtime goes, extra jobs and overtime are different animals as far as police pay is concerned.

at my company, our overtime is HALF of our averaged hourly rate (since we are salaried) for the first 10 hrs over 40, then the percentage goes down after that. it's to discourage people from milking the company. they figure that if you cant get it done during the work day, then they should hire someone else to help out. i do stay late sometimes, but our company does not hire/fire people even though we have our waves of workloads like other companies do.
slurpee
a secretary at an elementary school is making over $14,672 in overtime. her total pay is $52,116, which puts her at $66,788! sweet!
Old Main
AG
Name SCOTT D SMITH
Title POLICE SERGEANT
Agency CITY OF HOUSTON
Department POLICE
Base $86,878
Overtime $93,661
Car Allowance $0
Incentive $0
Total Pay $180,539

I didn't realize we had police officers making $180,000.
Guitarsoup
AG
Wow. I'm in the wrong business. 180k? Holy Allah that's a lot of dough to give shopping carts back to Target.
kansas02gt
AG
he could be in special ops or some other division where they are on-call 24/7 (receiving overtime when they get called in). it doesnt say his age either, but he could be older and have that to his favor as well.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
is the search function down? all i see is comments and no place to search..

Ryan the Temp
AG
It made Drudge ... it is probably overwhelmed with traffic.
Cubicle Dweller
That's a lot of jack to sit around giving traffic tickets all day and letting people break into my truck repeatedly and doing NOTHING about it.
Guitarsoup
AG
When I grow up, I want to be a janitor.

Name MICHAEL W GOODS
Title SUPV, CUSTODIAL
Agency HOUSTON ISD
Department FACILITIES MANAGER 2
Base $93,171
Overtime $46,916
Car Allowance $0
Incentive $0
Total Pay $93,171
JeepWaveEarl
AG
weird.. i dont see a link but i'm sure it's overloaded.

Ag of Enlightenment
AG
quote:
ag of enlightenment, $150K worth? no.

i'm talking about cops sitting in court ALL day and working the system. if you're HPD, you know what i'm talking about.

and if money is really that important to you, you probably should have picked a different profession.

Yes, i do know the traffic *****s of which you speak-Spend all shift on traffic to spend the rest of the time in court and i dont like that. Let traffic enforcement units deal w/ that. and if those guys are getting money on court, so be it; thats their job.
Ill tell you the DWI guys earn their money. there's only about 2 dozen DWI units at all, and a MAYBE a handfull per shift to handle ALL DWI's in the city.
from what i can tell they're only showing the "easier" OT programs. there's alot of other OT programs that are actual work.

On another note; yes ill admit some people milk the system but the majority of people earn that money. why is it very few raise cane about the money paid to athletes and celebs and oil execs but because an officer makes decent money its a travesty. Are you really feeling it in your wallet?

NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
Ryan the Temp
AG
Poor Stiles ... he is getting slammed with hate mail.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
ahhh won't work with Firefox -- IE works.
pvsherwood03
quote:
Name MICHAEL W GOODS
Title SUPV, CUSTODIAL
Agency HOUSTON ISD
Department FACILITIES MANAGER 2
Base $93,171
Overtime $46,916
Car Allowance $0
Incentive $0
Total Pay $93,171

whoa, wtf?
SwampFox
Damn, I need to be a cop. I always knew they nearly always made more money than base salary from OT or secondary security jobs - I had NO idea they could pull down that kind of dough though. I'm an idiot for working a desk job when I could be outside, having adventures. I know it's dangerous, but unless you've spent all day on excel spreadsheets until your eyes bleed, you couldn't understand that dealing with hoodrats and getting shot at is a superior alternative to slitting your wrists from the boredom of what the rest of us do, especially when you get paid that well. I'll never let a cop "poor me" me again!

[This message has been edited by SwampFox (edited 7/9/2008 1:34p).]
LeftyAg89
AG
Ag of E, do you know Officer Hiram V?
SwampFox
So seriously, are you guy's hiring, 'cause I'd settle for 80k, or less than half what that hombre is pulling down. I already work 12+ hours a day, on salary, no overtime - it's the 'work that hard or you're fired' pay-scale.
kansas02gt
AG
Swamp: you should check them out. You have to do the academy, but right now they are offering some good bonuses. You also get paid while you are in the academy. I can give you a contact reference if you would like.
Bone6
quote:

On another note; yes ill admit some people milk the system but the majority of people earn that money. why is it very few raise cane about the money paid to athletes and celebs and oil execs but because an officer makes decent money its a travesty. Are you really feeling it in your wallet?

I would say it's because people feel a direct tie to city employees wages since it's tax dollars that pay the salaries along with their salaries not being directly set by "market forces". We are a very capitalist society so when people are paid by the government rather than private businesses people examine it more harshly (I'm not saying I feel like cops or city employees in general are overpaid, just giving an explanation).
Ezra Brooks
AG
It might also have something to do with a Custodial Supv pulling in six figures.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.