Metroplex
Sponsored by

Southeast Connector Project

3,060 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Matsui
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else drive through the I-20/US-287 exchange on your daily commute? If so, your life is gonna suck for the next 5 years.

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/projects-studies/fort-worth/southeast-connector.html

This is supposedly going to kick off within weeks. Anyone living in South Arlington/Mansfield who works in Fort Worth or points west will have to deal with this.

I will likely shift my work schedule to avoid rush hour through this area, depending on how bad it is. I might also find a back road to get across south Tarrant County to I-35, but no way that's gonna be very quick.
Matsui
AG
I don't have to deal with it but agreed this will be a 5 year frustration point.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Yikes. Live in east Fort Worth/Richland hills area and work in Kennedale. Opposite direction but still probably will be a nightmare
aggie_wes
AG
Guess I won't be going that way to Houston any time soon. I'm on the west side of FW and our office is in Spring, so it was more convenient to take 20-287-45, but no more.
Hincemm
AG
Commute from southlake to south Arlington. I usually get Waze that takes me via either 820/287 or 360. This will make the decision easy.
Ornlu
AG
I am working on the Southeast Connector project (as a professional engineer), and I'll tell you the quiet part out loud: It's going to take 10-12 years to complete, not 5.
wbt5845
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
yikes. Live in far north FW and the construction up here is terrible. My wife's parents live down in Mansfield so it will suck going down there.
hoosier-daddy
Live right by it but wife and I both work from home. Hopefully it stays that way.
Ornlu
AG
Don't shoot the messenger. Everyone involved (contractors, engineers, city staff, FHA, etc) has told TxDOT that this is a 10+ year schedule. We said it before the project even had schematics, and we're just now getting started. We'll say it again after it's over.

This could have been avoided, If TxDOT had subdivided this into multiple projects, as was advised in the DFW Connector project's "lessons learned" presentation last year.
wbt5845
AG
Not at all - I appreciate your input.

Do you happen to know what kind of plans are in place to keep traffic moving during construction? I seem to recall in north Tarrant County, the contractors had to have two lanes open each direction throughout the build.

Also, is it all going to be done at one time? Seems like it would be easiest to do the I-20 part first, then the I-820 part.
Ornlu
AG
wbt5845 said:

Not at all - I appreciate your input.

Do you happen to know what kind of plans are in place to keep traffic moving during construction? I seem to recall in north Tarrant County, the contractors had to have two lanes open each direction throughout the build.

Also, is it all going to be done at one time? Seems like it would be easiest to do the I-20 part first, then the I-820 part.
It'll be simultaneous on 287, I-20, and 820. They'll keep two of the main lanes open at all times (except for 9pm - 5am closures), but the real problem will be that 2 out of every 3 offramps will close.
Not Sure
AG
When does this nightmare begin? It may be enough motivation for me to look for a new job closer to Ft. Worth.
Ornlu
AG
It's all prep work, permitting, and utility relocations right now. It won't begin to cause traffic delays until probably early 2024.
knoxtom
I have been working on the right of way on this project.
Decay
AG
The power of Texags to give me info of what highways to avoid for the next decade
wbt5845
AG
knoxtom said:

Picking up trash? Mowing?
YouBet
AG
wbt5845 said:

knoxtom said:

I think he hand places those little white reflector squares on lanes.
hoosier-daddy
knoxtom
wbt5845 said:

knoxtom said:

You shouldn't make jokes about the people with those contracts, 99.99% chance they out earn you.

I own a right of way acquisition and legal firm. We helped with legal work on the acquisition of new ROW needed for the project.
Matsui
AG
It's a joke.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.