Metroplex
Sponsored by

1 in 3 murder suspects in Dallas released on bail

3,085 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bocephus
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keep voting for Creuzot though

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-violent-crime-bail-murder
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
powerbelly
AG
Not shocking to anyone who has been paying attention.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
So…you should be locked up before you are proven guilty of any crime for atleast 6 months before you go to trial? If you are found not guilty and denied bail should the state be responsible for the damages to your career and earnings?
Bocephus
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

So…you should be locked up before you are proven guilty of any crime for atleast 6 months before you go to trial? If you are found not guilty and denied bail should the state be responsible for the damages to your career and earnings?

Last I checked, we had 28 people arrested for capital murder who were out on bail and walking around the metroplex. I'm quite sure you are aware that you can sue the state for false arrest etc.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Arrested, charged but indeed innocent until …..

False arrest sure but I'm not alleging the arrest are false or bad arrest but it still doesn't mean they are guilty

Do you propose no bail for capital murder suspects or only bail the wealthy can afford?
TexasAggie008
AG
2/3 of dallas voters want this, per the results of every single county election
powerbelly
AG
We are in serious need of bail reform in this country, but there are definitely crimes that should lead to being held without bond.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Right but those lines have to be redrawn carefully because historically the poor and otherwise disenfranchised have been the ones who don't get bail. Not getting bail also prevents you from vigorously participating in your defense. Short of unaltered clear video of murder I have a hard time denying bail otherwise because of the failure rates of eye witnesses and confessions. Even with videos we have a problem with deep fakes given that police of prosecutorial misconduct is a factor in over 75% of wrongful convictions. I'd rather 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be locked up
powerbelly
AG

I'd rather 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be locked up
I agree.

Bocephus
AG

False arrest sure but I'm not alleging the arrest are false or bad arrest but it still doesn't mean they are guilty

Do you propose no bail for capital murder suspects or only bail the wealthy can afford?

Capital murder = no bail and should be mandatory death penalty if convicted
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Bocephus
AG
powerbelly said:

We are in serious need of bail reform in this country, but there are definitely crimes that should lead to being held without bond.

Bail reform is failing everywhere it is done, bc reality is that the same people commit crimes over and over again. We need to apply common sense to the bail/bond system. We also need to enforce the punishments as they're on the books but that is a different story.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Coates

Right but those lines have to be redrawn carefully because historically the poor and otherwise disenfranchised have been the ones who don't get bail. Not getting bail also prevents you from vigorously participating in your defense. Short of unaltered clear video of murder I have a hard time denying bail otherwise because of the failure rates of eye witnesses and confessions. Even with videos we have a problem with deep fakes given that police of prosecutorial misconduct is a factor in over 75% of wrongful convictions. I'd rather 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be locked up

Genuine question, have there been any deep fake videos leading to a murder convition?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Define common sense
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Not that I am aware of but most other types of evidence have been fabricated at some point so it's reasonable to believe it will eventually happen on both the prosecution and defense side
nai06
AG
Bocephus said:

That assumes Texas never wrongfully convicts people. Texas literally leads the country in wrongful convictions with 49 of those being for murder. Dallas county is particularly bad about wrongful convictions as well.
Bocephus
AG

Define common sense

People who are clearly threats to the general public, receive no bond. Misdemeanor arrestees who have no record are released on own recognizance. DWI arrest or Class C assault shouldn't cost you your job (most employers are lenient in this area). If you are arrested for sexually assaulting 30 children, you should not be released on bond. Serial offenders should not be released. Bond exists to ensure that the arrested show up for court, but it can & should also be used to protect society.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Bocephus
AG
nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

That assumes Texas never wrongfully convicts people. Texas literally leads the country in wrongful convictions with 49 of those being for murder. Dallas county is particularly bad about wrongful convictions as well.

Yep, sometimes the eye-witnesses get it wrong, other times you have cop killers on video doing the murder, and the DA decides they're too stupid to be put to death. Or you have a guy who murders 18 grandmas and the DA decides he "is not a threat to other prisoners" so he does not receive the death penalty.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
nai06
AG
Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

Yep, sometimes the eye-witnesses get it wrong, other times you have cop killers on video doing the murder, and the DA decides they're too stupid to be put to death. Or you have a guy who murders 18 grandmas and the DA decides he "is not a threat to other prisoners" so he does not receive the death penalty.

So all the more reason that a capital murder conviction shouldn't be an automatic death penalty
Bocephus
AG
nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

So all the more reason that a capital murder conviction shouldn't be an automatic death penalty

Why? You get something like 5 appeals with the death penalty. Juan Lizcano got 6 or 7. I was at two of the appeals.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
nai06
AG
Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

Why? You get something like 5 appeals with the death penalty. Juan Lizcano got 6 or 7. I was at two of the appeals.

Because we might accidentally put to death an innocent person.
Bocephus
AG
nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

If you can't prove it after 5 appeals…
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
nai06
AG
Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

If you can't prove it after 5 appeals tough **** . We are going to murder you anyways. That's certainly a stance to take.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Appeals aren't retrials, you have to prove there was a specific error with your trial, which means the state did something wrong which they are incentivized to bury or your lawyer sucked
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Spend some time with this report and take a look at the similar projects around the country. Bond is not meant to protect the public and we have the ability to GPS track people, monetary bond isn't really even necessary

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Documents/NRE%20Annual%20Report%202021.pdf
Bocephus
AG

Spend some time with this report and take a look at the similar projects around the country. Bond is not meant to protect the public and we have the ability to GPS track people, monetary bond isn't really even necessary

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Documents/NRE%20Annual%20Report%202021.pdf

Reality is that we GPS track them until they cut the monitor off. We GPS track them while the commit other murders. Expecting the government to implement anything like GPS tracking in and efficient manner is setting yourself up for failure.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Bocephus
AG
nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

nai06 said:

Bocephus said:

If you can't prove it after 5 appeals tough **** . We are going to murder you anyways. That's certainly a stance to take.

You expect there to be a perfect system. I accept the reality that there is no perfect system.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Expecting the government to implement anything like taking someone's life or freedom in a fair and efficient manner is setting yourself up for failure.

I accept an imperfect system where some criminals run but in todays world you can't hide long. I also accept that they committ additional crimes on bail because at that point they are innocent and have the right to participate in their own defense and to continue to make money to afford quality representation

But if this thread proves anything it's that we are divided on the issue so expecting the bail issue to be a winner/loser issue on the ballot is probably tough
Bocephus
AG

Expecting the government to implement anything like taking someone's life or freedom in a fair and efficient manner is setting yourself up for failure.

I accept an imperfect system where some criminals run but in todays world you can't hide long. I also accept that they committ additional crimes on bail because at that point they are innocent and have the right to participate in their own defense and to continue to make money to afford quality representation

But if this thread proves anything it's that we are divided on the issue so expecting the bail issue to be a winner/loser issue on the ballot is probably tough

I just want common sense when it comes to bail. I just watched a police officer get arrested for aggravated assault without a complainant bc he's a police officer. It is what it is.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
What common sense do we use to who identify innocent people "who are clearly threats to the general public"?
Bocephus
AG

What common sense do we use to who identify innocent people "who are clearly threats to the general public"?

When you are arrested for a violent felony and you have previous convictions for a violent felony, you receive a very high bail. When you're arrested for a misdemeanor (especially first time) you receive a very low bail. Common sense used to be common. Just like it USED TO BE that people convicted of violent felonies went to jail instead of getting probation.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Unfortunately police officers are paying the price for years of lining up to protect their few bad apples. Crime is getting much worse so eventually police will be heroes again but not anytime soon.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I can buy that, a previous violent felony is a good way to identify those who should have high bail
double aught
AG

Unfortunately police officers are paying the price for years of lining up to protect their few bad apples. Crime is getting much worse so eventually police will be heroes again but not anytime soon.
What makes you say crime is getting much worse? I'm not sure the stats support that.
nai06
AG
double aught said:

What makes you say crime is getting much worse? I'm not sure the stats support that.

You touched on a really important point. It's really hard to say which way crime is going right now because the FBI UCR was revamped and only about half of departments are reporting stats for 2021.

Based on what's being reported, a lot of violent crimes are down but homicides are up. (At least I think that what I remembered reading)
Bocephus
AG

There is no justification for violating rights.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.