Metroplex
Sponsored by

Is there anything still cool about downtown Fort Worth?

11,642 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Streetfighter 02
JR Ewingford
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Bass's are liberal ****s from what I'm told. They have definitely killed off downtown., Other than Capital grill or Del Frisco's, not much to like about it. 7th st is ok but other than Chimy's crime is up in that area. Stockyards is where it is at. Magnolia, Clearfork all are much better. Not too much to add to what has already been said.
TheDoctor
AG
When I was growing up in FW, downtown was a great place to go. The two story Barnes and Noble was a Mecca. Great name brand store fronts too. It exploded when they opened Sundance to just pedestrians. Festival of Lights and College Gameday downtown was great.

Since I moved back and go work in downtown, I've seen how much of a nose dive it's taken. No store fronts at all worth your time. But hey if you like 4 different weird Texas Art Galleries maybe it's worth your time. Still a few good bars around, Thompsons is still my favorite and they're adding a cigar lounge to the third floor.

Other than that, and the food options (Del Friscos, Capital) there's nothing worth your time. Stockyards, South Main (especially for bars), Clearfork are all better uses of time and money and you feel like those places are thriving. Downtown isn't. And as a born and raised FW boy, it's sad.
Buford Tannen
AG
Well said, and same. Loved going downtown to eat and catch a movie at Sundance 11 or Palace 9, the old 8.0s, Saucer, Pour House, etc. I think the way to bring it back is to make the parking free again, reduce rental rates, and attract locally-owned non-chain restaurants. It's also getting crushed from an office/foot-traffic angle as most corporate campuses have moved out of downtown. Lots of places just never reopened after Covid either. I don't know anyone in FW who approves of the job Sasha is doing with it so it can't be long before something changes.
mts6175
AG
Amazing that the family that built Fort Worth is now destroying it.....
TexAgs1992
mts6175 said:

Amazing that the family that built Fort Worth is now being destroyed by a *****...

FIFY

ravingfans
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Even in it's prime, restaurants were the main attraction to downtown FW, followed by Bass Hall. The big movie theater anchors obviously weren't a big draw anymore. The bars have really never been that much of a draw. 8.0's in it's day... Thompson's when things were still bustling. Now there's few if any nightlife spots you actually seek out.

With as much as Fort Worth has grown, other nightlife pockets popped up. West 7th wasn't too much of a threat as the restaurants weren't typically all that high end, but with Magnolia, South Main and Clearfork -- suddenly if you want to have a premium steak you didn't have to go downtown.

The area desperately needs/needed an entertainment draw. Whether it be a small concert venue, a minor league baseball team building a field in the heart of downtown... Anything. Because right now downtown is a destination for Bass Hall and that's about it.

Baseball downtown would be a great idea, but sounds prohibitively expensive and not sure the Cats could fill it. Are they still around??
aggie_wes
AG
No. Cats have been gone for probably 5 years now.
wbt5845
AG
It will be interesting to see the effect of the new Panther Island development on downtown.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I read today that Jamba Juice closed. Thanks Sasha.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Can you even enter those art galleries? The art is suspect at best. Most of it is horrid and the artists live "rent free" in Sundance/Bass owned apartments downtown. I did hear it referred to as indentured servitude.
Matsui
AG
That is hilarious/not hilarous.
Objective Aggie
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

I read today that Jamba Juice closed. Thanks Sasha.

Oh my goodness. Please tell me Mi Cocina is holding steady.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Lunch is fairly busy when I walk by. I tend to not eat there often because I'll wind up eating three baskets of chips before my meal comes out.
Objective Aggie
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Lunch is fairly busy when I walk by. I tend to not eat there often because I'll wind up eating three baskets of chips before my meal comes out.
I was kidding, I think
Bunbury
AG
I can't tell if the jamba juice sentiment is real or trolling lol. Hopefully the starbucks can preserve the authenticity of sundance square!!
Garrelli 5000
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

mts6175 said:

Amazing that the family that built Fort Worth is now being destroyed by a *****...

FIFY

Ha
Take the trash out staff.
SECTAMU#1
The Cultural District just west of west 7th will be thriving with the development John Goff is building. His eight-story office building is oversubscribed, a lot of businesses from downtown. His four-star hotel with a Fearings restaurant will draw well. Finally, his luxury condos and spa should add to the density in that area. Right across the street is Paris 7th, a great French cuisine establishment.

I would imagine other retail establishments will spring up around this development and the HSC campus.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
downtown was never cool

hth
aglaohfour
AG
Fearing is opening a restaurant there? I had not heard that! Very excited because I'm a huge fan of Fearing's at the Ritz, but driving to Dallas is such a drag.

Also, agree about Paris 7th. The people who know are super loyal, but it's highly underrated because it's sort of hidden away.
94chem
When I was a kid, we used to go downtown around Christmas time, park in some big parking lot, and ride the Tandy Center subway into town, and spend the day window shopping and going to the major department stores. I was usually bored out of my mind, but now I remember it with nostalgia, back when downtowns still had shopping. My other memories of downtown were multiple corps trips for TCU games, followed by breakfast with my grandparents (Grandpa was CO '28).
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Streetfighter 02
AG
I heard last week that they're trying to boot the radio station from the building on Sundance Square. I can confirm the Jamba Juice is no more. They've already been doing a small exterior renovation and the inside is taped off for paint at least. The barber I use joked it's going to be a walkthrough art gallery. I believed him at first.
mosdefn14
AG
The Ranch is expanding I believe. Was in there a month ago and that's what I was told.
Ag CPA
AG
I know a couple of people who worked at the Ranch over the years and swear the hauntings are legit. Need to find a way to capitalize on ghosts.
wbt5845
AG
94chem said:

When I was a kid, we used to go downtown around Christmas time, park in some big parking lot, and ride the Tandy Center subway into town, and spend the day window shopping and going to the major department stores.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Center_Subway

The platforms where you got on and off the subway are still in the Panther Island pavilion parking lot today - I run by them when I'm training on the Trinity Trails.

Ag CPA
AG
The Leonard's Museum next to Montgomery Plaza is worth checking out if you are into the nostalgia, lots of photos and old stuff that they sold there back in the day.
YouBet
AG
If Jamba Juice is gone....then JFC. Might as well nuke downtown from orbit.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Hopefully they are increasing their signal amplification. I can't get 92.1 when I'm in Fort Worth Downtown.
Ag CPA
AG
Yah I don't know why they didn't upgrade their signal when the did the Ranch's years ago, I think that their tower is in Glen Rose.
mosdefn14
AG
92.1 tower is glen rose ish. They're (ranch/92.1 ownership) adding another station onto that tower. I think it's going to be southern/classic rock but don't quote me.

95.9 is north west I believe, mineral wells ish maybe.

Streetfighter 02
AG
92.1 used to broadcast out of a small hut on the side of 180 between Weatherford and Mineral Wells.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.