Metroplex
Sponsored by

Costs/Availability for Home Renos

707 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by planoaggie123
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't sure where to post this but figured since costs could fluctuate by geography I would ask here....

I'm not really expecting costs to be any different between doing reno work on an existing home vs a new build, but is it reasonable to assume that availability of a contractor might be good right now with new builds falling a little bit?

We are wanting to do what I would call a "refresh" more than a major reno and I'm curious how that kind of work request would be received by your typical contractor in this environment.
80sGeorge
AG
No idea but try the Home Improvement board.
YouBet
AG
80sGeorge said:

No idea but try the Home Improvement board.
Did not know that existed. Ha.
wbt5845
AG
The tradesmen I know are still pretty booked up.
planoaggie123
AG
In general, tradesman (contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc) are still pretty busy so you have to get on their schedule (they are not sitting around bored)....HOWEVER....from what I have seen its no longer a "we are booking 3+ months out" situation that it was about a year ago. I even have found a tiny bit of wiggle room in $$ negotiations whereas, again, 1 year ago that was a no-go.

We are just pending a fridge but otherwise completed our kitchen renovation about a month ago. We painted, new countertops, some plumbing / electric, etc. We have struggled in the past to find a contractor that "cares" as much as we do (more concerned with finishing and coming in under budget than a stellar product) so we just decided to be our own contractor and it saved us thousands and I think our product is just as good and honestly probably better than a contractor would have done it. We maybe drive the tradesmen a bit crazy at times but we try and be fair on overruns, etc.

The only room left in our house that we may use a contractor on is the master bathroom due to demo, probably more extensive plumbing / electric work, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.