Metroplex
Sponsored by

Found Abandoned Dog in Richardson

3,131 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jograki
GiantAntsAttack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I found an abandoned dog tied to a tree near Breckenridge Park late last night. He looks like a miniature pinscher, but very skinny and with deformed front legs. He does get around pretty good though. We took him to the vet this morning and he was not chipped. Does anyone work with a rescue or know someone who might be able to help out? We already have a dog and cannot keep another, but the thought of taking him to a city shelter is obviously off-putting. We are leaving for a trip Friday, so hoping to find someone to take him in soon. Thanks in advance for any help.

rally-cap
AG
Check out Dallas Dog - Rescue Rehab Reform, they do a lot of work with dogs like this.

Website
hoosier-daddy
tweet corby
jograki
AG
Poor baby. Thank you for taking him in! I volunteer for a rescue, let me see what I can find out. In the meantime maybe try this Doberman Rescue.
GiantAntsAttack
AG
Thank you all for the replies. I'm learning that the rescues require every effort be made to find the owner, even if they appear to be an inhumane monster, before you can surrender a dog. One even suggested I just take him to the city shelter because they are required to legally transfer ownership. To that end I've posted on the Richardson found dogs board.

Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Here's a shot of him being a good explorer.

88planoAg
AG
This lady helps dogs that are in pretty bad shape. She arranges for fosters and transports from Texas to her place in Arkansas.

https://rockyridgerefuge.com/about/
The Pilot
AG
Tweeting at Corby isn't a bad idea. I'd recommend that.
ftworthag02
AG
Agree
Garrelli 5000
AG
If you can't find a place to take him we'll take him. My username, no spaces, at gmail. We have a couple of schnauzer rescues that would keep him busy.

Take the trash out staff.
GarlandAg2012
AG
That poor little guy. I'd be happy to chip in $100 for his (I'm assuming extensive) medical needs for whoever takes him in. My handle at Gmail.
GiantAntsAttack
AG
Thank you all very much for the suggestions and offers to help. I didn't want to post an update too soon and jinx it, but Janice and Rocky Ridge Refuge stepped up and he will be in very good hands!
Matsui
AG
Excellent news!!!
88planoAg
Garrelli 5000
GarlandAg2012
AG
Glad to hear it. Donated to them! Hope the pup goes on to live a long happy life.
jograki
AG
Hooray! Thank you for the great news.
ftworthag02
AG
Excellent
88planoAg
AG

drewser95
AG
Well for every crummy person who would do this to a dog, looks like there are a dozen willing to step up to help.

Thanks for looking out for him and giving him a shot at a better future! Hopefully they can address the issue with his legs and that he has a great life ahead of him.
FDXAg
AG
drewser95 said:

Well for every crummy person who would do this to a dog, looks like there are a dozen willing to step up to help.

Thanks for looking out for him and giving him a shot at a better future! Hopefully they can address the issue with his legs and that he has a great life ahead of him.

Amen! So sad to see that pup in such a rough condition, but thankful for everyone who made the effort to help him. Praying he recovers completely and finds a loving home soon.
GiantAntsAttack
AG
Thank you for sharing that update. I don't have Facebook, but my wife has been following the rescue to see the updates. Certainly not out of the woods, but being in good hands definitely gives me hope that he will be okay. I know it's a bad idea if you don't want to get attached, but we took to calling him Knuckles. Go Knuckles go!
Demasiado
AG
I'm not crying! You're crying
88planoAg
AG
Clicking through the pics she says he isn't bothering the splints and is eating well; she can already tell a difference in his appearance re nutrition.

FDXAg
AG
Wonderful to see! Thank you for the update.
88planoAg said:

Clicking through the pics she says he isn't bothering the splints and is eating well; she can already tell a difference in his appearance re nutrition.

jograki
AG
So happy to hear, rescue can be so hard but outcomes like this are so rewarding. He has such a sweet face!
hph6203
AG
Making friends.
ftworthag02
AG
Awesome! Great news
88planoAg
AG
He is doing great!!!

88planoAg
AG

FDXAg
AG
That's so awesome to see! Thank you to the OP for taking him and getting him help.
permabull
AG
good bull OP... just made a donation to Rocky Ridge Refuge to help the little guy out
GiantAntsAttack
AG
Truly amazing. Thank you for the kind words, I don't see how anyone could not have stopped and done the same. The rescue and Janice are the heroes, thanks even more for contributing to them. We've made a donation and also submitted them to my company's charity matching program where they will hopefully be picked up. Just seeing what they have been able to do already is quite inspiring!
Seven Costanza
AG
Great story. It's amazing how quickly he is recovering.

I wonder if the original owner is a hoarder of some sort. It seems odd to get a dog and then starve it in a crate 24/7. While it's obviously evil, I can at least understand the logic of a person that abuses their dog for fighting or for watchdog purposes, or as a horribly misguided form of behavior correction. But putting it in a crate and ignoring it serves no purpose.

I suppose hoarding doesn't make sense either, because I doubt they would have tied the dog to a tree and abandoned it if that were the case.
chick79
AG
My faith in humanity has been restored!
jograki
AG
He looks amazing! Dogs are resilient, the last couple years of medical fostering I've seen some incredible turnaround cases. So happy he's doing well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.