Metroplex
Sponsored by

Panther Island New Riverwalk?

1,940 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wbt5845
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am not from here but have lived here 5 years so not sure much of the history on this. ACOE approved $403 million to reroute fork at panther island. Maybe also shoring up sides for major development opportunities? Anybody have more info on this beyond articles posted today about it?
Cramp00
I read all the linked articles you posted and have nothing more to add.
Robert C. Christian
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

I am not from here but have lived here 5 years so not sure much of the history on this. ACOE approved $403 million to reroute fork at panther island. Maybe also shoring up sides for major development opportunities? Anybody have more info on this beyond articles posted today about it?
Lots of history here.

I think you are referring to this: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article257503379.html

I am sure that the recommendations from 2019 have been followed up on and it will not be a complete boondoggle.

Quote:

The report, obtained from a government source and marked "draft," recommended significant changes in how to manage the ongoing work to enhance flood control, while at the same time create a state-of-the-art entertainment district, by re-routing the Trinity River.

It said the Trinity River Vision Authority headed by J.D. Granger [Rep. Kay Granger's son] should continue to manage flood control improvements, but that an equally big part of the project real estate development should be taken over by the city of Fort Worth by creating a nonprofit.

The review said the publicly funded Panther Island project suffered from "insufficient oversight and transparency," "unclear financial and management reporting," and confusion over the development's direction and priorities.

wbt5845
AG
This has been in the works for decades and it's a game changer for Fort Worth. Imagine a Riverwalk that's about 10X BIGGER than San Antonio that encircles and area with bars, restaurants, etc. This is gonna be huge.

tk for tu juan
The real game changer would be blue, clear water as shown in the aerial rendering
wbt5845
AG
The Trinity is whole lot cleaner in Fort Worth before Dallas dumps all their effluent in it.
Spaceship
AG
wbt5845 said:

The Trinity is whole lot cleaner in Fort Worth before Dallas dumps all their effluent in it.

And then it heads to lovely east Houston.
Ag CPA
AG
This project has been a train wreck from the start and the city has changed significantly since this project was kicked off 20 years ago.

Not saying that it won't get done (eventually) but it's probably going to be a canal running through industrial property versus resembling the Riverwalk. A lot of the capital that was anticipated for this development ended up creating West 7th and investing in the stockyards, in large-part to the ridiculous delays; not sure how much money is left to throw towards it.

I support Kay Granger but her hands are all over this abortion.
YouBet
AG
Sounds like this is going about as well as Dallas's aborted attempt at taming the Trinity.

Y'all might end up with an extremely expensive bridge or maybe some whitewater rapids you will later remove..or something.

Will this help at all with the nightmare highway system over there?
Carlo4
AG
I helped design the roundabout at White Settlement/Henderson back 10 years ago. Did they ever build it?
george07
AG
Yes, they built it, the roundabout and the bridges opened a few months ago after something like 7 years. Multiple delays, the whole thing has been a joke. At least now maybe they'll have the funding to actually build the canals, they had lost funding for a while and it looked like they might be bridges over dry land forever.
TexAggee05
AG
I've been following this thing for years as well. I hope it all goes through, the development would be good for my business.
grego
AG
As someone that has supported this project from inception it is amazing JD Granger still has this job. His redesign of the bridges - even against mommas wishes - cost tens of millions, created a massive delay, and almost torpedoed the whole project. He also hired his wife on the taxpayer dime because apparently nepotism is encouraged over there. The disaster that is the TRWD is a whole story unto itself.
wbt5845
AG
With the ridiculous price of real estate, perhaps the demand for more housing close to downtown will make this viable.

That whole area around Panther Island Brewing is starting to blow up already. Encore Panther Island is planning on opening up sections of their condos by year end.

wbt5845
AG
When digging the canal, they found a lot of original thurber brick (used to pave Camp Bowie) and used it for the river walk along the condos.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.