Metroplex
Sponsored by

HVAC (Furnace) recs

1,160 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by akaggie05
TAMUallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an older (late 80s) furnace giving me trouble.

Used berkeys... They said it was a Max temp limit switch. Replaced it for a lot.

Still had problem next time unit came on weeks later (same problem). They blamed wiring. It worked during testing. They shut things up and it cut out. They blamed static pressure.

Static pressure issue they claimed wasn't due to filter. Removed filter and no problem.

Now the unit is shorting out... I can see the arcing.

Wondering if anybody has a good and cheap guy in the HEB area

Thanks in advance
planoaggie123
AG
We have been using Toms Heating and Air at current home and they have been good.

We are family friends with Johns Heating and Air family (son running the show now went to school with my older bro).

If I were to get a new unit those would my only two calls. The reason we don't use Johns regularly is living in Plano vs their home base of Mansfield.
TAMUallen
AG
Thank ya sir! This is a flip so looking ideally for a fix and am a bit put off by berkeys since they came out and charged half a thousand then claimed after it didn't work that it was a different problem and meant we needed a new system. They acted flabbergasted that I was pissed and would have done differently when their fix wasn't a fix

planoaggie123
AG
Johns would be my first call for a fix in your situation. If you schedule an appt with them message me and I can give you a reference. My parents have used them for over 30 years.
mosdefn14
AG
Berkeys is like most of the other big "mechanical" companies. You're so far removed from anyone with ownership or the actual license, and all the guys just run their own trucks with a quota/commission schedule. They turned me off real hard on what should have been an hour of labor + service call for a small plumbing issue, only wanted to do a big redo.

That said, I've had great luck with Reliant for HVAC repairs/service.
ftworthag02
AG
Try Burke mechanical. Not sure if they service HEB. Brad is a great guy and has great crews. They installed a new American standard system for us last March.
95HOUSTONAG
AG
Classic Heating and Air in DFW is Aggie owned. Saved me thousands on an upstairs unit that just needed some minor repairs. Neighborhood A/C guy said unit was burned up. Owner Seth McGinnis is a good Ag!

https://www.classicheatandair.com/contact/

TAMUallen
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Johns would be my first call for a fix in your situation. If you schedule an appt with them message me and I can give you a reference. My parents have used them for over 30 years.

Calling them but I can't message on here
planoaggie123
AG
Tell them recommended by ____ and they will know. Let me know when you get this with another message and I will remove. Hope it goes well.
TAMUallen
AG
Roger that. They came out and found the problem was not what berkeys said!

Mind you berkeys after they didn't fix it the first two times wanted to install a completely new furnace
planoaggie123
AG
Awesome. Hope it was a good experience and hopefully it is a long term fix.

We even paid an extra $80 trip charge to come to Plano several times at our old house and they kept our 20 year old unit running like a champ.

New house the units are "covered" by Toms and so far experience has been positive with them as well.
akaggie05
AG
TAMUallen said:

Roger that. They came out and found the problem was not what berkeys said!

Mind you berkeys after they didn't fix it the first two times wanted to install a completely new furnace

I have a rule of thumb: if a [insert HVAC, painting, plumbing, electrical] company has commercials that make you want to go punch the TV, they are likely scammy. Now that I think about it, any service company that advertises on TV is probably subsidizing the cost of their ads through higher rates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.