Metroplex
Sponsored by

Just moved to east Dallas 'burbs from Midland

3,400 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TecRecAg
Predmid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sachse specifically is where we landed.

Work transferred me and I'm feeling a little lost and confused and need guidance as I don't know anyone nearby.

Need suggestions on the following: a good Friday afternoon cocktail happy hour spot, the best Mexican food, and where are there a&m club group meet ups?
Ol Jock 99
AG
That area is really growing. We moved into the city from there 5.5 years ago, so my info is dated. The CityLine complex has a ton of stuff. Frankies on 78 is decent enough Mexican food and not a chain.

That area is kind of caught in limbo A&M club wise. It could probably use its own rather than having to pick between Dallas/Collin County/Rockwall County.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Mexican food wise go to Frankie's and get the top shelf margarita. Have two of those and make sure you have someone to drive you home.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Backyard in Murphy isn't bad for drinks. Never had the food there
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
There's a Desperados not too far.
AW 1880
AG
There's also a Frankie's in downtown Wylie. Downtown Garland has a good BBQ/brewery called Intrinsic. Downtown Plano has several good spots for food and drink.
chick79
AG
I live fairly close by. Gloria's at Firewheel is always good especially the margaritas.
normaleagle05
AG
We like Frankie's on 78 or in Garland but usually eat TexMex at Jhonny's at Garland and Beltline. It's closer to us in North Garland.

I don't like Gloria's, except for their margaritas.

Anaya's Seafood in The Shire (Jupiter at Bush, east of City Line) has good food. I've only been twice for Sunday lunch but their happy hour food looks solid for the money. Beer selection is meh but I think they'll do ok on the cocktails.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Italian

Venezia's, corner of Murphy and Renner, in a strip center.

Mom and pop operation. Walk in and sit anywhere.
Texker
AG
For some good, cheap tacos make the the short drive up 78 to Taco Delite in Wylie. Family owned. I like to get the 10 tacos for $15.

If you like bagels go to Rockwall to The Bagel Lady.

Hope you enjoy Sachse. I lived there from '87-91 well before anyone knew it existed and 78 was a two lane.
cc_ag92
AG
Desperado's and Frankie's for Tex Mex; Aggies recently bought Dos Banderas in downtown Garland- the food is hit or miss, but they're working on it.
This Wylie Taco Truck is incredible. Mija's in Wylie is fantastic, very casual, but amazing food.

Venezia's is great Italian- it's also BYOB

Backyard is great for drinks, but full of families. If you aren't at that stage yet, you might want to try Intrinsic or head to downtown Plano. Fillmore and Vickery Park won't have kids.

In Firewheel, be sure to try Ferah Tex-Med... mediterranean food with a Texas twist, great drinks, too

murphyag
AG
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

Italian

We drive over from Lucas to get Venezias. Good food and nice people running it.
TechnoAg
AG
murphyag said:

Joe Schillaci 48 said:

Italian

You have to drive from Lucas to get anything! I always wondered about that place. Will have to give it a try.
Aggie_95
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

Backyard in Murphy isn't bad for drinks. Never had the food there
Drinks and patio is great, food is not.

Foxxii's food is actually pretty good. Cristina's is a good (not great) place to eat and hang out. We like Napoli's on Park/Los Rios for Italian/pizza.

As some have mentioned Firewheel, CityLine, and downtown Plano all have decent options as well.
murphyag
AG
TechnoAg said:

murphyag said:

Joe Schillaci 48 said:

Italian

You have to drive from Lucas to get anything! I always wondered about that place. Will have to give it a try.
True, but I could drive in any direction and often head that way to Venezias.

The Chicken Aristocrat dish is another good one at Nikki's Italian in Murphy. In same shopping center as UPS. Not a healthy meal choice, though.

La Flor is another Mexican place to try in Murphy. Food is good. They've been there 11 or 12 years.

Casa Mama is another good Mexican option. On Los Rios in east Plano. Not far from Sachse. I've been told owners are from same family as Frankie's owners.
MXAG15
AG
I live in Sachse and honestly you are better off driving out to garland, Richardson, or downtown Plano for the stuff you are looking for.

A lot of the stuff in Sachse is family based, and I'm no where near that stage of life.
texirish2
AG
Welcome neighbor:
Mexican:
Jhonny's, has the best food/drinks is other side of town in Wyli, it's in a gas station parking lot, looks like a total hole in the wall , but i have yet to be disappointed. Get the brisket quesadillas (off menus)

Runner up is frankies -two locations, also good food, and a nicer atmosphere if you are scarred of Johnny's.

Bar for a drink:
Sachse ice house is a good all around spot
Fuzzys actually has a good bar as well
If you have a lot to drink, i highly recommend the ranch house. It's one of the few dance halls still standing and it's right in our back yard. It is not the hall, but it's the best people watching around.

BBQ:
Community bbq

Burger
Meateor burger

No Aggie clubs to speak of, but I'll have a beer with you if you shoot me a pm.
texirish2
AG
Agreed on anyas, just had it. Great cocktails and apps
PuryearAg98
AG
Backyard in Murphy - Has a very impressive whiskey/bourbon selection. Tim, the owner, is almost always there too and helpful to everyone in the place. He's also opening another bar at the other end of the building he is in. Should be a great place to grab a drink.

The Station - Sachse, on the north side of the tollway - Not open yet, but will have The Brass Tap.

Sachse Ice House - Great people watching (between the late afternoon regulars and the late night bikers)

The wife and i tend to head to downtown Plano when we want Italian. And breakfast tacos (at Plano Tortilla Factory).
clobby
AG
Is the Rambling Rose still open?
aezmvp
We stop off at Meteor Burger after kids football / cheer games quite often in the fall.
TecRecAg
AG
Yes. What a gem of a bar that place is.
TecRecAg
AG
texirish2 said:

Welcome neighbor:
Mexican:
Jhonny's, has the best food/drinks is other side of town in Wyli, it's in a gas station parking lot, looks like a total hole in the wall , but i have yet to be disappointed. Get the brisket quesadillas (off menus)

Runner up is frankies -two locations, also good food, and a nicer atmosphere if you are scarred of Johnny's.

Bar for a drink:
Sachse ice house is a good all around spot
Fuzzys actually has a good bar as well
If you have a lot to drink, i highly recommend the ranch house. It's one of the few dance halls still standing and it's right in our back yard. It is not the hall, but it's the best people watching around.

BBQ:
Community bbq

Burger
Meateor burger

No Aggie clubs to speak of, but I'll have a beer with you if you shoot me a pm.
Texirish nailed it. All the same places I would have picked. However, I'm Frankies > Jhonny's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.