Metroplex
Sponsored by

Where to find a good fruitcake

1,302 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Comeby!
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK - all joking aside, a well done fruitcake - and I mean a REALLY good one - is hard to beat. It's fruit and nuts soaked in brandy that is a real joy.

I used to know a guy in the DFW area that hand made fruitcakes - they were about $50 a loaf and were incredible. Unfortunately, he has quit doing fruit cakes.

So for this fall, I am trying to find someone local that makes them. If I have to rely on mail order I'll probably order from the Nuns of New Skete Monastery in Cambridge, New York.

And in advance - NO to Collins Street in Corsicana but maybe to Eilenberger in Palestine, which is imho the best fruitcake in Texas. But hand made by someone local is usually the best, and right now is when they are being assembled for the holiday season.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
I think Millstone Bakery in Plano does them? Worth a shot to call them. We got an Opera Cake from them not that long ago and it was excellent
riverrataggie
AG
Clay Jenkins house
dcbowers
AG
My great-grandmother made the best fruitcake. I still bake them every December.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
riverrataggie said:

Clay Jenkins house

Spaceship
AG
riverrataggie said:

Clay Jenkins house

LOL, I thought this same response when I saw the thread title.
fc2112
dcbowers said:

My great-grandmother made the best fruitcake. I still bake them every December.
I tried ONCE - spent more on ingredients than a cake would have cost and it wasn't very good.

To me, the best fruitcakes are almost 100% fruit and nuts with almost no "cake" - only enough to bind it all together. And soaked in brandy.
Comeby!
AG
Believe it or not Central Market puts out a pretty good one every once in awhile to satisfy cravings.
Comeby!
AG
…and Collin St Bakery's is overrated.
fc2112
Comeby! said:

Believe it or not Central Market puts out a pretty good one every once in awhile to satisfy cravings.
REALLY? I had no idea. Is it like a store brand or something? Might be worth trying out before the holidays.
Comeby!
AG
Yes, they usually show up around November. They have different sizes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.