Metroplex
Sponsored by

Unique Playhouse Materials Wanted

1,192 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nai06
SuzyQ06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey yall. My family and I are about to embark on a playhouse building adventure. My husband is designing an original playhouse for our kids that we hope to have "complete" by December.

We've already secured the lumber for the key structural components, but I'm on a mission to make this thing out of [good quality] scraps. We are going for a "Sandlot" type vibe if you can picture that in your mind.

To that end, we are trying to put "Reduce Reuse Recycle" into practice while also involving our kids. Hopefully showing them that we don't have to buy everything from a store, encourage hands on building, and really brining them into the process of finding, envisioning, and then actually using the parts and pieces we gather.

So, my question here is two-fold:

1) Do "junkyards" still exist? Where do I go to do this? Back when I had no shame, no money, and no kids, I went dumpster diving in College Station around move out time. I found some good stuff! Hilarious in hindsight. Now, I have to keep safety in mind. Do salvage yards allow this? My son is 6, about to be 7, and while I think he would do good listening to me, I don't want to take him somewhere that is too dangerous.

2) If anyone is going through a remodel, can we poke through your debris? Or if you randomly have scraps of aluminum, tin, (that metal wavy stuff that people put on roofs--I forget what its called), metal grating, or just something where if you squint at it just right it could be cut or turned into something else, let me know! My husband welds and is generally very mechanical, so we can use many various types of materials.

We plan on spending the next few months accumulating these "possibilities" while my dear engineer husband does the heavy lifting of building the actual key structure, then we'll put my son & daughter to work nailing and drilling. The "thrill of the hunt" if you will.

Also specifically looking for heavy rope, a captains wheel, a spyglass. I am happy to pay for quality materials, but really trying emphasize "one mans trash is another mans treasure" and reduce landfill load. If you have any ideas of things that should belong in a "He Man Woman Hater's Club"-type playhouse, let me know. Right now, we are getting a huge kick out of just thinking of the things we can use.

I hope this turns out as amazing and unique as we hope. Thanks for any ideas and sources!

Key edit: we are in Mansfield.
TexDill15
AG
No help on finding materials but Sandlot and "He man women hater club" are two different movies.

The quote is from The Little Rascals.

But anyway good luck on your project!!
SuzyQ06
I realized that after I typed it. Oh well. Both fit (I think).
jamotoe1
That sounds like a really fun project to do with your kids. I love that y'all are making it a family project and fostering your kids imagination.

While it isn't free, I'd recommend looking at the different auctions that come up within driving distance of you on hibid.com. They have all kinds of things, and there are regularly auctions that are essentially online estate sales where the company is tasked with clearing out the home. Frequently they will have 'lots' that have a random assortment of items that you can get for almost nothing. There are plenty of high end items and auctions as well, so you will need to browse. It's definitely an opportunity to get creative with used materials though.
SuzyQ06
How cool! I had no idea that existed! I LOVE garage sales, just for the hidden treasures. So thank you for now rendering me unable to work for the rest of the afternoon.
BigNastyNate
AG
I am not a fan of FaceBook, I don't even have an account,, but my wife does.

I would suggest to you Facebook marketplace is the new junkyard… just virtual. We gave away an entire swingset last year which I would've otherwise taken a chainsaw to (which my kids were rooting for) and hauled off to the dump. Having some people come over and remove the 2 story swingset was a much better option for me though.

Point being, browse FB marketplace periodically as people tend to give away a lot of 'junk' for the convenience of.not having to haul it away themselves.
harge57
AG
Craigslist free section and bulk trash days in nicer neighborhoods might be what you are looking for.
SuzyQ06
I get what you are saying, and I was rooting for that exact thing (to go pick up someone's used clubhouse), but my husband wanted to ensure quality lumber and wasn't exactly keen on deconstructing, loading, reassembling, etc.

I really want to bring my son in on "the hunt" for things, and seeing something that is "trash" to one person but maybe we can envision an actual use for it. This part is really more about experiences for my son and me (daughter is still a little too young for this, maybe).

But you're right. I need to cruise "The Marketplace" for some parts and pieces (like a climbing wall).
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Check out Orr Reed Architectural Salvage
nai06
AG
I built some shutters for my house about 3 months ago. They are made from cedar fence pickets that I planed and stained. We decided to go in a different direction so I am replacing them tomorrow. You are more than welcome to them. I have no use for them and they were just going to sit in my garage for awhile unless I made it to the dump. I used screws and wood glue so I'm not sure how easy it would be to break them back down into planks. They are about 6 ft by 14 inches and I have 8 of them
Texas Ag Mom
I was also going to suggest Orr Reed in Dallas. They are a family owned small business & they are on Facebook. She regularly post items in the store & she recently started online ordering. It would be safe to take the kiddos there to explore their inventory. Have you ever been to Canton Trades Day? Lots of interesting stuff there. For the things you are looking for look in the outdoor section. Mote junk there than in the buildings.
SuzyQ06
nai06 said:

I built some shutters for my house about 3 months ago. They are made from cedar fence pickets that I planed and stained. We decided to go in a different direction so I am replacing them tomorrow. You are more than welcome to them. I have no use for them and they were just going to sit in my garage for awhile unless I made it to the dump. I used screws and wood glue so I'm not sure how easy it would be to break them back down into planks. They are about 6 ft by 14 inches and I have 8 of them

I'd love to take those off your hands.

Email me your address and we can coordinate a time.

nai06
AG
Email sent. You can edit your address out now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.