Metroplex
Sponsored by

Youth Baseball

2,897 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggolfer
FreeKeyThree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TA,

Need some help finding a solid place for my 10U son to play baseball. We are squarely behind the 8-ball for the fall... I'm new to the select/travel baseball world, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find a competitive team that is above an SVAA or PSA. We are in actual Dallas, so a team in Keller is probably not feasible. Mustangs and Five Star didn't have 10U teams this fall, which is why we're in this position...

Thanks for any suggestions. If it helps, my son is a baseball nut, throws 48-52 with control, and can put the bat on the ball.

Ts&Gs.

-FK3
Goose
AG
Try the Dallas Patriots.

Dallas Patriots
FreeKeyThree
Appreciate the rec. Patriots are a great org, but almost 30 miles from my house, and it'd be traffic hours... Hopinng to find something in Dallas/Richardson/Carrolton if possible.
Langdon
AG
I assume your son would be playing 11u ball this fall unless he just turned 10 this summer. There are lots of options in Dallas proper. I would look at these teams if you want to go competitive:
Bison Baseball (East Dallas AA/AAA)
Dallas Tigers Central (North Dallas AA/AAA/Majors)
Texas Rockies (North Dallas AA/AAA)

You could also check out the following:
Dallas Bandits (East Dallas)
Next Level Bulls (Lake highlands)
Scots Baseball Club (Semi Select teams in HP/UP)
Texas Knights (Richardson)

Most teams are past tryouts and into tournament play already. Reach out to the coaches and see if they will give you a workout.
SoCalAg97
AG
I'm in Dallas too. My son plays for the Cannons, a team based in Carrollton (Marsh and Beltline).

Surprised to hear Mustangs didn't have a 10U team. I know they had a 10U tryout this summer at Hillcrest High School. Must not have got enough boys.
Texker
AG
Langdon said:

I assume your son would be playing 11u ball this fall unless he just turned 10 this summer. There are lots of options in Dallas proper. I would look at these teams if you want to go competitive:
Bison Baseball (East Dallas AA/AAA)
Dallas Tigers Central (North Dallas AA/AAA/Majors)
Texas Rockies (North Dallas AA/AAA)

You could also check out the following:
Dallas Bandits (East Dallas)
Next Level Bulls (Lake highlands)
Scots Baseball Club (Semi Select teams in HP/UP)
Texas Knights (Richardson)

Most teams are past tryouts and into tournament play already. Reach out to the coaches and see if they will give you a workout.

Good info. OP mentioned his kid can pitch so I bet he won't have a problem getting a workout.
aggolfer
AG
My son plays 10U and plays for one of the Frisco Riders teams. Its probably too much of a drive for you but let me know if not. Any of the suggestions above are good, just find a good coach and location. You can go look their team up and roster history on USSSA site and get a feel for what they are like. If they have a ton of turnover of kids I would avoid.
investorAg83
AG
My buddy coaches Bishop Lynch's baseball team and runs the Dallas Bandits. He runs a pretty stellar program from what I can tell. Great dude.

https://www.dallasbanditssports.com/
TMan86
AG
Goodness gracious, it seems just like yesterday I was neck deep in all of that stuff. I spent moderate fortunes on my kids club teams careers, mostly private lessons for batting and pitching. My two oldest had at least a shot of a college career, my daughter the most extensive playing three years of D1 college soccer. That was not our goal, however. They just wanted to do it.

A few observations;
Enjoy the experiences and the travel. Don't get too invested in parent groups as it changes quickly.

Prepare for the end of the career as it ends just as abruptly as it begins.

In my experience, high school coaches are simply terrible. I still look back on it and cannot believe that the group of people I was exposed to have anything to do with kids. And it was all of them, no matter the sport or school. That may offend some on here…just my experience. I have friends whose kids are in now HS and it's the same story. I'm sure there are plenty out there that are great. I hope you have better experiences.

Lastly, understand the peripheral benefits that come with playing at that level of competition. All of my kids are doing quite well but they simply exude confidence in everything they do and it translates well to their lives in school and after graduation.

Good luck and have fun.
BoDog
AG
Having lived this life, may I add a few things...?

What really is the goal or point of playing this level of ball at 10? The odds of little Johnny playing beyond HS are slim to none. Just being honest. Say he is good enough at the next level... That means he has a partial scholarship to Ranger JC or Central OK Baptist or dare I say San Angelo State.

I can just about promise you without a shadow of a doubt he wont go MLB and all he gets from the experience is a few college credits at a bad college in an awful town. Thats if he doesn't burn out first from playing 40 games in a season as a 10 year old.

My advice... play rec or a competitive from some city league.
atmdds03
AG
Because maybe the goal isn't the MLB or D1 or junior college for every kid. Maybe the kid truly loves the game and wants to play at a higher level in his current age. I've had two boys playing select ball a don't think any kid (or parent) on either team had your attitude. Both boys have developed a strong work ethic, learned how to be leaders and good teammates, personal responsibility, and learned how to handle the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and definitely agree that the wrong expectations can lead to disappointment quickly.

For the OP, I can recommend the Patriots and Knights from first hand experience. Both organizations have their positives and negatives but overall should be a good experience. A lot depends more on the coaches rather than the organization whatever route you go. I can get you in touch with someone from either organization if you are interested.
BIMS O1
AG
Wish "competitive rec" leagues were viable. . Unfortunately many of the rec or city leagues are littered with kids that still can't play catch. If you want any level of competition, it's not an option where we are. And if you don't move to higher level of competition, by the time you do it's likely your kid will be so far behind that high school baseball will be out of reach. Soccer is the same way. Wish it weren't the case …
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FreeKeyThree
There's nothing like the TA fam. Thanks for all the help! We've been able to line up a few private workouts! I'll be on top of things in Dec. and Jan. getting ready for the spring...
FreeKeyThree
Thanks so much this post! Huge help.
FreeKeyThree
Appreciate the response. My guy just wants to play all day.

Would love a contact for the Knights, if you're willing. Patriots are just too far. Great program, though!
Jeff99
Agree with BIMS. My 15 year old plays in high school and I agree that Select ball can be overblown, but 10-11 is probably good age to start. Rec ball past that age is basically just daycare.
Maverick06
AG
I don't have a kid in select baseball but do have a daughter in select soccer. Just want to reiterate that we aren't in it for her to play D1 soccer or on the USWNT. We do it because it became very clear that rec soccer was a bunch of kids that were only there because mommy or daddy made them. When she's scoring 8-10 goals a game it's time to up the competition some. We enjoy the travel and team with common goals. She's become more of a leader and is learning critical life skills while playing a sport she loves (for now).
aggolfer
AG
Maverick06 said:

I don't have a kid in select baseball but do have a daughter in select soccer. Just want to reiterate that we aren't in it for her to play D1 soccer or on the USWNT. We do it because it became very clear that rec soccer was a bunch of kids that were only there because mommy or daddy made them. When she's scoring 8-10 goals a game it's time to up the competition some. We enjoy the travel and team with common goals. She's become more of a leader and is learning critical life skills while playing a sport she loves (for now).
This. People think we are crazy with my oldest playing competitive/select in 3 sports. But it boils down to what your said, if you stay in Rec, most of those kids don't want to be there and not fun for the better ones.
FreeKeyThree
Just to keep everyone updated--I know y'all are watching this thread with bated breath...

We rounded up six options, went to try outs, and never found a great fit. Three teams "didn't make" for the fall, but would love to have my son play in the spring. One team had a tryout for 2 spots, and took some kids that they already had relationships with (which is totally fine, it was a neighborhood team and wanted to play with those kids, no hard feelings there). The Dallas Bandits have "organizational" skills training with 40 kids ages 9-15 out there all at once, and my son had 9 reps of throwing or catching in an hour, so that's not going to work.

NTXtreme, with Coach Leo Roque, looked to be promising, but it was $1100 for what amounts to be six weeks of baseball. Coach is great, kids were skilled, competitive, and great teammates. But, it's 45m from my house on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8PM--just can't commit 8 hours a week to 9 year old baseball right now.

Settled on private lessons once a week and his old team. I'm not thrilled, but I started WAY too late for fall ball... We'll get a head start in the spring and be ready to go. Thanks for all the help and well wishes.

Here's to throwing 8 no-hitters in SVAA this fall.
Texker
AG
He should still be able to pick-up with a competitive team for a Fall tournament or two. I've been out of the competitive scene for awhile but don't think they freeze rosters in the Fall.
BIMS O1
AG
May be worth checking out the cannons as well.

They have a facility in Carrollton and have some good coaches. We know a few families that have moved from the patriots to Cannons for various reasons. At some of the larger clubs, if your kid isn't on the top team for the age, it can be an endless shuffle of fill in coaches. If you are on the top team it may be great, but the experience can start to diminish if your kid is on the "B" team.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BIMS O1
AG
https://texascannonsbb.com/
aggolfer
AG
BIMS O1 said:

May be worth checking out the cannons as well.

They have a facility in Carrollton and have some good coaches. We know a few families that have moved from the patriots to Cannons for various reasons. At some of the larger clubs, if your kid isn't on the top team for the age, it can be an endless shuffle of fill in coaches. If you are on the top team it may be great, but the experience can start to diminish if your kid is on the "B" team.
Yes, Patriots are known for this. Do you have a kid on the Cannons? We play them this weekend in Frisco.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.