Metroplex
Sponsored by

RISD requiring masks - Ignoring the Governors Order and Supreme Court ruling.

26,908 Views | 245 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nai06
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Latching on to a separate ruling from a Travis county court that has not been appealed yet but will.

Link
planoaggie123
AG
Horrible. Just wrong.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Sue them, don't have your kids wear one.
Lawyer I was talking to suggested letting the state continue its process. But if anyone hears differently I will happily join the suit. May look around for additional firms to call.

Not going to send my 5 year old without a mask, but will likely be keeping her home. Good way to ruin the first week of kindergarten.

TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Twitter won't let me copy/paste, but Paxton has a post on his Twitter about entities which refuse to abide by the order. You are asked to email maskmandate@oag.texas.gov to report the entities.
planoaggie123
AG
Here it is!

TxAgLaw03RW
Post removed:
by user
double aught
AG
Ridiculous that kids and school personnel are caught in the middle of this partisan pissing match. I hate politics.
Post removed:
by user
Sims
AG
double aught said:

Ridiculous that kids and school personnel are caught in the middle of this partisan pissing match. I hate politics.
Uh, it's only ridiculous because the parents are doing it to the children. I know that because it says right here in the ISD announcement....

Quote:

Parents are urged not to place their children in the middle of the ongoing political and legal situations, and work within RISD's guidelines so teachers, administrators, nurses and employees are able to effectively serve students.

I'm being facetious, btw.
planoaggie123
AG
Sims said:

double aught said:

Uh, it's only ridiculous because the parents are doing it to the children. I know that because it says right here in the ISD announcement....

Quote:

Parents are urged not to place their children in the middle of the ongoing political and legal situations, and work within RISD's guidelines so teachers, administrators, nurses and employees are able to effectively serve students.

That comment by them is disgusting and wrong....

2wealfth Man
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Sims said:

double aught said:

Quote:

That comment by them is disgusting and wrong....

wow, guess they can tell us when and how to protect our rights. Ballsy and wrong. Who is the brainchild behind all of this?
Cramp00
While I personally disagree with mask mandates I support local, business, and ISD independence to make these decisions. Not Abbott.
Post removed:
by user
2wealfth Man
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Our local news is disgusting. Check out www.wfaa.com, the entire site is pro mask articles and a negative article about ISDs with no mask requirements or not enough Covid restrictions for their liking.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cramp00 said:

While I personally disagree with mask mandates I support local, business, and ISD independence to make these decisions. Not Abbott.

I support local individuals over them all.

As a sidenote, the Bill of Rights is actually there to protect us from our oh-so-wise local authorities. They are actually the biggest threat to the average person's rights.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Local authorities deciding they can essentially ignore the law because they feel they are on the right side should scare the hell out of you.
2wealfth Man
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Local authorities deciding they can essentially ignore the law because they feel they are on the right side should scare the hell out of you.
especially when they don't act in accordance with the data or science
DannyDuberstein
AG
Exactly. We need the 4th amendment because the govt (aka LOCAL police and LOCAL prosecutors) is actually wrong sometimes. They get things wrong all the time, in spite of oftentimes having good intentions. So we don't let them run roughshod over people and violate their rights. But with this? Now we are seeing them blatantly ignore the higher authority. They're just going to ignore the rules we've always played by. Dangerous game being played right now with very large implications when local authorities and local judges think they do whatever they want in blatant contradiction to what is on the books
The Collective
AG
I bet some of these ISDs could find a better use for their time and resources at the start of the school year than this one issue that is going to be handled next week.
planoaggie123
AG
harge57 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Sue them, don't have your kids wear one.
Lawyer I was talking to suggested letting the state continue its process. But if anyone hears differently I will happily join the suit. May look around for additional firms to call.

Not going to send my 5 year old without a mask, but will likely be keeping her home. Good way to ruin the first week of kindergarten.

Do you mind if i ask if you took your kid today and if you sent with a mask? Just curious. Tough situation and not 100% sure how I would have reacted. Part of me thinks I would have kept home and just emailed my principal and teacher and let them know that our kids would return whenever the muzzle mandate is removed.
harge57
harge57
AG
She did go this morning with a mask.

It was an extremely tough decision, and I basically had to swallow my pride to do what I think would be best for her. I will continue to fight this battle with her never knowing the wiser.

Here is where we landed on it:

Holding her out does nothing but take away from her experience. She was extremely excited to go to school and she is not concerned with wearing a mask. However, the most she has worn one has been for a couple hours on an airplane.

I told her this morning the rule is to wear a mask, but if she does not want to wear it to ask her teacher to call me and I will come get her.

Holding her out will not help change the policy.

I fully expect the policy to change within 2 weeks and she really wanted to go to the neighborhood school so we took the optimistic approach that it will change soon and we did not want her to miss the first few days.

I have continued to raise hell with my board member and the administration this morning. They gave me some BS excuse that these few days are allowing time to get teachers vaccinated?

If the policy for some reason does not change in the next two weeks we will likely move her back to the private school she was in last year. The private school had just started requiring masks for the first time because of Jenkins order so that was not an option, but I think they are announcing a change to that policy today. If they change policy and RISD does not she will move there.

If we can't find a long term maskless option in the next two weeks we will likely homeschool. We have met with two homeschooling groups over the last week. That would be pretty tough with a 2 week old and and 18 month at home, but we will make it work. Academically she is so far ahead that I am not worried at all about her getting behind (she read over a 100 books in the last month and she has addition and subtraction 100% down and has started to learn fractions). We just want to make sure she is getting the appropriate social interaction.

planoaggie123
AG
harge57 said:

1) I told her this morning the rule is to wear a mask, but if she does not want to wear it to ask her teacher to call me and I will come get her.

2) I have continued to raise hell with my board member and the administration. They gave me some BS excuse that these few days are allowing time to get teachers vaccinated?

1) I think you made a respectable decision. Your daughter will know you are working for her benefit. She sees that. She will remember. I like the idea of telling her to just ask to go home if it becomes too much especially since the concept of a mask is new to her. It will take time to get use to. Hopefully she never does.

2) That is complete and utter garbage. They have had MONTHS to get the vaccine. No excuses.

harge57
AG
planoaggie123 said:

harge57 said:

1) I told her this morning the rule is to wear a mask, but if she does not want to wear it to ask her teacher to call me and I will come get her.

2) I have continued to raise hell with my board member and the administration. They gave me some BS excuse that these few days are allowing time to get teachers vaccinated?

1) I think you made a respectable decision. Your daughter will know you are working for her benefit. She sees that. She will remember. I like the idea of telling her to just ask to go home if it becomes too much especially since the concept of a mask is new to her. It will take time to get use to. Hopefully she never does.

2) That is complete and utter garbage. They have had MONTHS to get the vaccine. No excuses.

Agreed. They pretty much acknowledged that this policy will get struck down. And my point was they decided to cause such problems over having masks for a few days. and for what. and they brought up this is valuable time to get teachers vaccinated.

I am curious what their teacher vaccination policy is.
planoaggie123
AG
Seems like if masks are mandatory....vaccine should be too....???

I don't believe either should be mandated (encouraged? maybe...) but at least be consistent...?
harge57
AG
I think restriction of mandatory vaccines are under the same executive order, so maybe they are using this TRO to force teachers to get vaccinated?
planoaggie123
AG
Ahh. Maybe. Would be interesting to see if any teachers refuse and is the RISD willing to lose teachers over it?

Sort of like hospitals....will hospitals really be willing to lose quality candidates over a vaccine that does not prevent the spread...but fairly, it does mitigate severe cases / death.

Not sure why you fire someone for not getting this vaccine since its not a "stopper"
harge57
AG
Formal request has been made to the TX Supreme Court.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You are making the right choice and putting your kid first. I applaud you. The school also wants you to believe they putting the kids first, but how much of it is well reasoned and how much is theatre is up for debate
Yesterday
AG
The Covid idiots are being loud and flooding ISD's, school boards and city officials with emails, calls etc and making it seem they're in the majority.

Get together, make plans etc to fight this. Our town had a pop up board meeting the week before school with only a topic of "Covid safety." They got so much heat from everyone for even having a meeting that they cancelled it and declared no masks and no contact tracing.

All because one conservative Facebook group got together organized and fought back. We did the same thing to CRT.
FincAg
AG
Yesterday said:

The Covid idiots are being loud and ....
Come on man. You can make your point without the name calling. It does not support your position.
Yesterday
AG
FincAg said:

Yesterday said:

The Covid idiots are being loud and ....
Come on man. You can make your point without the name calling. It does not support your position.

No I can't. You can believe in Covid and want to wear a mask and understand the vaccine works but when you try to force my kid to wear a mask and ignore science the you are in fact an idiot. Respectfully

Or maybe an ignoramus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.