Metroplex
Sponsored by

Oncologist recommendation please

2,656 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggiewes
TPS Reports
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My beautiful wife of 25 years this August just got results back from a biopsy indicating melanoma. Growth appeared on a routine mammogram, confirmed by ultrasound and biopsy last Friday. We were bracing for a breast cancer diagnosis so this was quite a curveball. She had a cancerous mole removed on that side of her body two years ago.

I am lost today. We will dig in and continue praying hard. She is 45 years old, class of '00 and mother to 2 awesome kids ages 16 and 14. She is my world.

If anyone can recommend a great oncologist in the Metroplex we would greatly appreciate it. We are in McKinney but will go anywhere for the best care.

Thanks. I am going to post in the health/fitness board too.
Ol Jock 99
AG
PM Sent
aviationag
AG
I don't know her name, but I've added your wife and your family to my prayer list.
Aries
See my reply on the health board. I'm the director of nursing for a cancer clinic. Email in other post.
TPS Reports
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

PM Sent
Thank you so much. Responding on that DM.
TPS Reports
AG
Aries said:

See my reply on the health board. I'm the director of nursing for a cancer clinic. Email in other post.
Thank you. Will send you an email. Bonnie was one of the many who got vaccinated at your clinic thanks to you.
TPS Reports
AG
aviationag said:

I don't know her name, but I've added your wife and your family to my prayer list.
Bonnie and I am Jeremy. And we would be grateful to be in any prayers.
chick79
AG
Done! Best of luck!
cadetjay02
AG
We used Texas Oncology in Plano for my mom. We had good staff from the oncologist, radiologist, chemo, and office staff. It's at the Medical Center Plano Campus.

Be wary of googling things that the doctors say, every individual case is different and there isn't really a normal/standard diagnosis.

I wish you the best, a long journey is in front of you.
BSpencer00
AG
Medical oncology - Lance Cowey, MD

Surg Onc - Rohit Sharma MD at UTSW

There are a ton of other good oncologists in the area. I have just seen these two deliver stellar care.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TPS Reports
AG
TBSpencer00 said:

Medical oncology - Lance Cowey, MD

Surg Onc - Rohit Sharma MD at UTSW

There are a ton of other good oncologists in the area. I have just seen these two deliver stellar care.
Thank you. You are the second doc to recommend Dr Cowey to us. Definitely have him on the list for calls tomorrow.
FincAg
AG
Here is the oncologist my wife went to, and still does for all follow ups. We will be praying Jeremy.

bthotugigem05
AG
Prayers for your family Jeremy.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Praying for your family, Jeremy. I'm part of the McKinney Ags network and a high school teacher for future reference if your kiddos need anything during this process. Hang in there, God's got this, and all will be well.
TPS Reports
AG
Update.

We reached out to several of the doctors recommended here and ran into some availability issues as far as how soon some of them could see her. Thank you for the referrals though.

We were blessed with a few fortunate breaks and unexpected calls made on our behalf and got in first thing Friday morning at UTSW with the surgical oncologist. We were also paired with a medical oncology doc that we should see this week and who will be part of the care team. I think we are in good hands.

PET scan on Weds and brain MRI pending. For those willing to keep us on your individual, family or group prayer list we would be greatly honored.

Happy Father's Day.
Gigem_94
AG
Don't have a recommendation but said prayer for your wife and family.
Aries
Great to hear. If you come across any other availability issues, I can get you in ASAP.
agcrock2005
AG
McKinney Ag said:

We were blessed with a few fortunate breaks and unexpected calls made on our behalf and got in first thing Friday morning at UTSW with the surgical oncologist. We were also paired with a medical oncology doc that we should see this week and who will be part of the care team. I think we are in good hands.
Strongly recommend UTSW and glad you are there. I love that they're a research hospital that changes their methods of treatment based on the latest studies. After MD Anderson told me I wouldn't see my 26th birthday in 2006, I went to UTSW in Dallas and have been a patient ever since. I just celebrated my 40th birthday a few days ago thanks to their care. Your family is in my prayers.
Diamond Dogs
S
Prayers for you & your wife Jeremy.

Cancer sucks.
TPS Reports
AG
Update

What a whirlwind the last few weeks have been. Bonnie is under the care of a great team at UTSW - Dr Jim Huth is the surgical oncologist and Dr Jade Hamsi the medical oncologist, both experts in melanoma specifically. PET scan and brain MRI did not show any additional lesions/tumors, thank God.

Surgery with Dr Huth tomorrow morning. Since the melanoma is in the axillary lymph node she will also be doing immunotherapy, once every 2 weeks for a year. Appreciate prayers for successful surgery, no further spread, for the medical team and for Bonnie's full recovery. Thank you all.
bthotugigem05
AG
Glad to hear you have a plan in place. I hope at this point the shock is wearing off and you're able to focus on the best care and outcomes for your wife.
Aggiewes
AG
Prayers up!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.