Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (HEAT '21)

3,594 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know why, but every year I am surprised at how quick it moves from a pleasant spring day to scorching heat & humidity. It feels like we never have a steady increase in temps. It goes from highs in the upper 70's and low 80's to highs in the mid 90's overnight.

ERCOT just issued its first conserve energy notice of the summer (even though technically it's still spring)
Heat indices in the 100's
9pm-11pm temps in the upper 80's with humidity in the 75% range
No real rain possibilities for at least a week and a half

Welcome to hell!

Post removed:
by user
riverrataggie
AG
One of my AC units went out yesterday afternoon.
AgLaw
AG
riverrataggie said:

Same.
bbattbq01
AG
riverrataggie said:

One of mine gave up over the weekend. Weds morning appt for a wallet drain.
EastSideAg2002
bbattbq01 said:

riverrataggie said:

Hopefully all the AC MFGs have caught up. Had to wait 3 weeks for a evaporator coil last summer because all the AC suppliers were on backorder.
double aught
AG
Last summer wasn't bad. And we actually had a longish spring this year. The first real heat coming in late June isn't bad at all. I'll take it.
Trajan88
AG
Yard work yesterday I confirm it IS hot/humid.

Brutal.
powerbelly
AG
It's about to get easier to get tee times.
Absolute
AG
L said:

ERCOT just issued its first conserve energy notice of the summer (even though technically it's still spring)

But, But, how could that be possible? Our great state leaders were all over the news last week saying the whole energy problem thing was taken care of, Done and Dusted. No reason to worry ourselves about Texas energy ever again!
TommyBrady
AG
Texker
AG
We hosted 22 TAMU students over the weekend and had both ACs going 24/7. The power went out 40 minutes after they left late Sunday afternoon.
drewser95
AG
riverrataggie said:

My blower motor in the 4Runner went out while sitting in traffic on top of the High Five Thursday afternoon.
Texker
AG
I think we're going to see some additional power failures, especially early in the summer due to the extreme February cold and typical Texas summer heat and humidity.
riverrataggie
AG
bbattbq01 said:

riverrataggie said:

Guy just came out. Capacitor went out, 20 yo unit. On its last legs.

Quote to replace everything except blower/furnace is 9500 single speed and 11500 for a dual speed. Includes inspecting and fixing any duct work which we did find.

Quote on 2nd unit that is working, but 15 yo is 11000 single speed and 13500 dual speed.

10% off If I do both and credits today fee.
Rubble
AG
We were just up in Michigan this weekend looking at houses. Found one and sold ours yesterday. I'm not going to miss the heat. It hit me in the face when we got off the plane this afternoon!!
bbattbq01
AG
Rubble said:

We were just up in Michigan this weekend looking at houses. Found one and sold ours yesterday. I'm not going to miss the heat. It hit me in the face when we got off the plane this afternoon!!

Hope the heater works in your new place!
Rubble
AG
Ha inspection is Friday
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
riverrataggie said:

My in-laws have an old unit running off R-22. The unit needs about 3lbs of it, which the guy had a a cool pop of $400 per pound. Almost 1/4 of what it would be to just replace the thing.
riverrataggie
AG
Red Pear Luke said:

riverrataggie said:

My in-laws have an old unit running off R-22. The unit needs about 3lbs of it, which the guy had a a cool pop of $400 per pound. Almost 1/4 of what it would be to just replace the thing.

Yeah both of ours are on R22 but luckily didn't need that. Gonna bite the bullet and replace both to get 10%.
YouBet
AG
The Collective
AG
I am taking my family to Palo Duro Canyon this weekend. No complaining on father's day weekend - that's my only request.
double aught
AG
YouBet said:

Han being a total jerk there. Dude was just trying to keep him from freezing to death.
Phat32
AG
Anyone do AC maintenance? Good companies in DFW?

TMan86
AG
I've used TemperaturePro for the past few years. It's not a large outfit. It's run by Doyle Jackman, a former HVAC trade instructor. I needed to replace my entire system a few years ago and did an extensive due diligence on prices and installation. Temperature Pro won that analysis and I've been pleased with their responsiveness ever since.
ftworthag02
AG
Where are you located? Burke mechanical replaced our a/c system back in March and did a great job. We also used Poe air for service for many years prior. Not sure if they service the entire metroplex
Rubble
AG
All depends on your locationI can give you a great recommendation in the FM, Lewisville, Argyle ish areas
riverrataggie
AG
Wow. Two entire new Ac/HVAC systems. Never realized how inefficient my old systems were.
Phat32
AG
riverrataggie said:

Wow. Two entire new Ac/HVAC systems. Never realized how inefficient my old systems were.

Cost?
YouBet
AG
yukmonkey said:

riverrataggie said:

Cost?

Thousands, consequently millions.
riverrataggie
AG
yukmonkey said:

riverrataggie said:

Cost?

Post removed:
by user
riverrataggie
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

riverrataggie said:

bbattbq01 said:

riverrataggie said:

Guy just came out. Capacitor went out, 20 yo unit. On its last legs.

Quote to replace everything except blower/furnace is 9500 single speed and 11500 for a dual speed. Includes inspecting and fixing any duct work which we did find.

Quote on 2nd unit that is working, but 15 yo is 11000 single speed and 13500 dual speed.

10% off If I do both and credits today fee.

Was it only your capacitor that went out. That is just an electrical issue caused by all the power surges from storms. I replaced mine myself for $14 and took less than 30 minutes.

Yes. That said the units were way past their life and I didn't want both going out. For instance during the repair the guy set his bag on top and it gave through due to the rust and had a large open hole you could stick your hand in where the blade was.

I was mentally ready to replace them both when the next one went out anyways. Was expecting this summer or next.
Post removed:
by user
riverrataggie
AG
I used A1. They had best all around value and warranty. 16 years on parts, labor, etc.

Found one place that was cheaper. But by a thousand. Warranty wasn't as good.

Then some places just don't have equipment to even do it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.