Metroplex
Sponsored by

City of Dallas Budget Survery

2,157 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by chick79
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://app.keysurvey.com/f/41570383/320f/

If you live in Dallas, please take 5 minutes tops to complete this survey on budget priorities. You can bet that the "defund" groups will get their people to fill it out en masse.
GAC06
AG
Gotta ask race and "gender identity" because that matters
riverrataggie
AG
Done. Economy, infrastructure and police. The rest takes care of itself.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'm not a defund person, but any dollar given to the Dallas police is like the worst ROI of all time. High murders, high violent crime, increased burglaries, car break ins. They can't retain officers.

I don't know why the typical person thinks allocating more money for cops without a change in strategy is going to be effective. It's just throwing money away.

You can't have it all - cheap taxes, unlimited police, wonderful services, and perfect roads.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Goose
AG
More and/or better police officers is going to cost more money.
riverrataggie
AG
Oh I agree but I like the new police chief way more than the previous ones.

The city spends a lot of money on stupid ****, even if the stupid **** is successful it's still throwing it away. I'd rather them attempt to use the funds where there is a return.
jagged
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

You can't have it all - cheap taxes, unlimited police, wonderful services, and perfect roads.

In fact, we can't have any of that.
chick79
AG
There are many reasons I don't live in Dallas anymore.
Ol Jock 99
AG
riverrataggie said:

Bingo.

The police issue is a super tough nut to crack, but at least Garcia has the boat pointed in the right direction.
double aught
AG
I suggest the money go to the fire department.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think more than 1/3 of the city budget already goes to police and fire. I don't think more officers, by itself, is the solution yet that seems to be the default rallying cry. I don't know if you all have had many interactions with Dallas police, but mine have never been satisfactory (break-in attempt, stolen vehicle).

I like the new chief better, I would just like to see an actual strategy for improvement before even more money is doled out at the expense of something else that's worth funding like infrastructure or parks.

It's funny reading Nextdoor with all the Pearl clutchers yapping about their property taxes yet in the same breath complaining about streets, cops, and city services.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
FTAco07
AG
The property tax problem rests squarely with DISD rather than the city of Dallas.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
It was a good day when I moved out of Dallas. It was a great day when I later moved out of Dallas County.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
GAC06 said:

I chose 'prefer not to answer' those questions. I didn't want my opinions to matter less because of my skin color or dick size.
Quinn
AG
double aught said:

The fire department should be renamed. They are rarely actually fighting fires; they are medics, drunk/homeless patrol, social services, etc. It won't happen, but I wonder if there would be a better way to divide up what they do into separate teams? A small fire fighting team and a bigger social services squad.
Trucker 96
Tomas Hermensa said:

GAC06 said:

I chose 'prefer not to answer' those questions. I didn't want my opinions to matter less because of my skin color or dick size.

Say you are black and identify as a goat
double aught
AG
Quinn said:

double aught said:

The fire department should be renamed. They are rarely actually fighting fires; they are medics, drunk/homeless patrol, social services, etc. It won't happen, but I wonder if there would be a better way to divide up what they do into separate teams? A small fire fighting team and a bigger social services squad.
Good points!

But, actually the department has started some of these services. The Right Care program involves a specifically trained FD paramedic responding with a DPD officer and a social worker to certain mental health calls that previously would've just received a standard police or fire response.

https://www.dmagazine.com/healthcare-business/2021/02/ahead-of-the-curve-the-right-care-program-is-going-city-wide/

Separately, there is the Community Paramedic program where medics respond to citizens who call frequently with potentially chronic issues. They follow up with them in the hopes of them seeing the proper doctor (as opposed to an ER visit), getting the proper treatment, medications etc. One of the goals is to lessen the strain on the standard EMS system.

Yes, there are fewer fires than in the past (part of that can be credited to DFDs prevention and education branch). But they still happen regularly. And you have to have people trained to respond and, just as importantly, able to respond quickly. Another reason there are fewer fires is because there is a fire engine at the front door within five minutes when there is simply burnt food on the stove instead of a kitchen on fire.

And finally, they did rename it Dallas Fire-Rescue from Dallas Fire Department in the early 2000s partially for the reasons you mentioned.

GAC06
AG
Tomas Hermensa said:

GAC06 said:

I chose "other" for each. For race I wrote in "doesn't matter" and my gender identity is "this is an idiotic question"
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Fore Left! said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

GAC06 said:

Say you are black and identify as a goat

I was told people wouldn't post my personal information on this website.
Quinn
AG
double aught said:

Quinn said:

double aught said:

Good points!

But, actually the department has started some of these services. The Right Care program involves a specifically trained FD paramedic responding with a DPD officer and a social worker to certain mental health calls that previously would've just received a standard police or fire response.

https://www.dmagazine.com/healthcare-business/2021/02/ahead-of-the-curve-the-right-care-program-is-going-city-wide/

Separately, there is the Community Paramedic program where medics respond to citizens who call frequently with potentially chronic issues. They follow up with them in the hopes of them seeing the proper doctor (as opposed to an ER visit), getting the proper treatment, medications etc. One of the goals is to lessen the strain on the standard EMS system.

Yes, there are fewer fires than in the past (part of that can be credited to DFDs prevention and education branch). But they still happen regularly. And you have to have people trained to respond and, just as importantly, able to respond quickly. Another reason there are fewer fires is because there is a fire engine at the front door within five minutes when there is simply burnt food on the stove instead of a kitchen on fire.

And finally, they did rename it Dallas Fire-Rescue from Dallas Fire Department in the early 2000s partially for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for the info! You're much more detailed than my buddy who works for them. I assume you do too, based on your knowledge? He drives one of the ambulances so he just tells me about picking up drunk college kids and homeless people. I certainly wasn't trying to knock the FD, just basing my comment off what I had heard from him!
double aught
AG
Quinn said:

double aught said:

Quinn said:

double aught said:

Good points!

Thanks for the info! You're much more detailed than my buddy who works for them. I assume you do too, based on your knowledge? He drives one of the ambulances so he just tells me about picking up drunk college kids and homeless people. I certainly wasn't trying to knock the FD, just basing my comment off what I had heard from him!
I didn't take it as a knock. Your buddy's right, drunk college kids and homeless keep us in business, so to speak. And riding an ambulance, he is doing the bulk of the work. They are very busy. But, like a lot of things, there's more to the department than that.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

riverrataggie said:

Bingo.

The police issue is a super tough nut to crack, but at least Garcia has the boat pointed in the right direction.

I hate to tell you but if the idiot Dallas County DA is hell bent on letting them go free as soon as they are arrested, it really doesn't matter what the Chief does.
YouBet
AG
Thanks for posting. I fully expect my answers to be thrown out since I answered "Irrelevant" for race and gender identity.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The city council runoffs didn't go well at all. Going to be interesting times 'round the horseshoe.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Council elected their leadership. Chad West is Mayor Pro Tem, and Jaime Resendez Dept MPT. Both 2nd term guys. Adam McGough, the only conservative left (not sure about the new folks), should have been MPT, but not surprising that he wasn't.

The budget is going to be very "interesting". Please complete the survey if you haven't.
chick79
AG
What did you expect Bill? Like I said, there are many reasons I don't live in Dallas proper anymore. It's turned blue and will not get any better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.