Metroplex
Sponsored by

Home Audio Wiring - Plano

1,718 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rme
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have a situation where we believe our home was previously wired to a home speaker control (think '90s). That appears to have been removed / covered up and as a result I am unable to get sound out of several in-ceiling speakers and our patio speakers (amp ---> central control ---> speakers).

Our house is 2 story but pretty funky setup with vaulted ceilings and not a continous attic so I am not sure how to fix this. The patio speakers come through brick wall.

I am thinking maybe get up in the attic and see if i can trace the wiring to find the connection but even if i do I am not sure how I would be able to "pull" the wiring up the wall to work on it w/o yanking it out of the current outlets.

The other option is pray some A/V guy will have a better idea how to handle homes like mine and figure out a way to re-wire. Only really care about the patios speakers. We dont want to take the easy way and put under soffits as it would just not look great. Would rather just get "portable" speakers.

Anyone have an Audio / Video guy they have used / like / trust?

Thanks!
riverrataggie
AG
Get Sonos, or some other wireless system, and cover up all the wires and build in speakers.
planoaggie123
AG
I am happy to do that everywhere but the patio. I have a Sonos amp so I am part of the way there.

I may get to to the point of wireless (Sonos Move) but I am trying to avoid having to carry speakers in and out daily + charge, etc. Would like to just be able to grab my phone and turn on and enjoy...
riverrataggie
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I am happy to do that everywhere but the patio. I have a Sonos amp so I am part of the way there.

I may get to to the point of wireless (Sonos Move) but I am trying to avoid having to carry speakers in and out daily + charge, etc. Would like to just be able to grab my phone and turn on and enjoy...
buy multiple speakers then . Sorry i am not much more help, i havent wired anything in ten years.
planoaggie123
AG
riverrataggie said:

planoaggie123 said:

buy multiple speakers then . Sorry i am not much more help, i havent wired anything in ten years.
HAHA.

I am just trying to be complicated...for now. Going to get a few quotes and see if someone can make a miracle happen for a couple hundred $$. If not, wireless it is!
agcrock2005
AG
riverrataggie said:

planoaggie123 said:

So what would you do for your back patio? I'm currently building house and have told them to hard wire two speakers in the ceiling. You wouldn't do that?
riverrataggie
AG
agcrock2005 said:

riverrataggie said:

planoaggie123 said:

So what would you do for your back patio? I'm currently building house and have told them to hard wire two speakers in the ceiling. You wouldn't do that?

No. I wouldn't do that. I would get two Sonos move speakers that I could bring in and just move outside when needed. We've been using just Sonos one speakers at our pool and pool house for three years now. We just plug them in outside and ready to go .

The moves are weather resistant so you can have the charging doc outside if you'd like or inside and bring them out to use.

It's all personal preference but I see more and more top line speaker companies moving to wireless and ability to charge.
agcrock2005
AG
I've recently been thinking the same thing. I had speakers outside in my last house when I remodeled in 16. They were outdated by 19. Think I'm going to go your direction. Thanks.
planoaggie123
AG
Update:

Had a guy come out today. His recommendation was to find the original home system volume controls (cut out and re-wire) vs running new wire or anythign else. It took about 20 minutes or so to find what we believe was 1 of the controls and he said it could get a little expensive to do this project.

Thankfully after he left, I was able to find original listing photos and have located 4 of what we believe are 5 volume controls. The last one I have a good idea of where it might be.

Now need to get some quotes on drywall repair / re-paint and think through total project cost vs going wireles...

riverrataggie
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Update:

Had a guy come out today. His recommendation was to find the original home system volume controls (cut out and re-wire) vs running new wire or anythign else. It took about 20 minutes or so to find what we believe was 1 of the controls and he said it could get a little expensive to do this project.

Thankfully after he left, I was able to find original listing photos and have located 4 of what we believe are 5 volume controls. The last one I have a good idea of where it might be.

Now need to get some quotes on drywall repair / re-paint and think through total project cost vs going wireles...

Pain in the ass versus not pain in the ass.
mernaggie12
AG
Are Sonos speakers good? Thinking about adding speakers too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
riverrataggie
AG
mernaggie12 said:

I will never buy another speaker. The quality and ease of use with ability to move them around and sync to devices is hard to beat.
planoaggie123
AG
riverrataggie said:

mernaggie12 said:

I will never buy another speaker. The quality and ease of use with ability to move them around and sync to devices is hard to beat.

Someone may correct me but I agree with this in regards to Sonos "special"' products (portable speakers, amp and soundbar). If doing in-ceiling, wall or the hanging patio speakers, I think you can find cheaper with similar results.
riverrataggie
AG
planoaggie123 said:

riverrataggie said:

mernaggie12 said:

Someone may correct me but I agree with this in regards to Sonos "special"' products (portable speakers, amp and soundbar). If doing in-ceiling, wall or the hanging patio speakers, I think you can find cheaper with similar results.

Oh for sure. It's not the cheapest option. But like i said earlier, there is a lot of convenience.
planoaggie123
AG
So this is getting more difficult than I wanted. Dealing with these A/V Installer guys is tough and painters don't seem to want to touch a small project.

I am now leaning towards just doing 2 Sonos Move and buying the wall mount and just placing them where are others are. Will take a small stepladder to reach to take down and charge every day or two which stinks but I like that better than having it on a table or ground.

Wish somehow they had more than 10 hours of play time. If they could get through a full weekend (Fri night to Sat night) that would be so much better.
planoaggie123
AG
Two more painters came back...one had a minimum of $500 and one had a minimum of $700...guessing all the remodels post-freeze are keeping painters busy...

Wife strongly prefers "permanent" solution vs Sonos Move so we are going to keep seeing what we can do...
planoaggie123
AG
The saga is nearing an end.

Got a guy to come do the wiring. Was able to locate all the old control areas and reconnect everything. Glad we did it. Now waiting for painters to give us a window to come by and patch.. All in will be about $525 for the holes + patch.
rme
AG
I have a sonos connect amp and bridge, does that work with wireless speakers? I bought these six or seven years ago and haven't used them in four years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.