Metroplex
Sponsored by

2021 Custody Calendar - Summer Designations

1,638 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rubble
SuzyQ06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've had a few people reach out to me from this board, so I thought I'd put this here. Mods, please remove if not allowed. I'm emailing my past and current clients, but I don't have email addresses for some of you who have called.

The April 1 extended summer designation deadlines are coming up. "Noncustodial" (I hate that term) parents must designate their 30 days by Thursday. Custodial parents must designate their "interrupting weekend" (which occurs during the noncustodial's extended summer) and their "cancel weekend" (which creates that parent's extended period of possession) by April 15.

Remember, 1/3/5 weekends keep running in the background during the summer but Thursday nights stop.

I create a calendar every year for my clients, which I've put on our firm's Facebook page (yes, yes, I know I need to put it on our website). Gardner, Smith & Hill, PLLC Facebook

If you don't want the month of July as your default possession, get your designation out ASAP.
Rubble
AG
Are there people who actually get pissed about this April 1st date? I don't have great relationship with my ex, but we've never had an issue with this...ever

Or are you just trying to get money?

It's a serious question and not trying to be an ass either.
riverrataggie
AG
We need a divorce board more than a Covid board
80sGeorge
AG
Rubble said:

Are there people who actually get pissed about this April 1st date? I don't have great relationship with my ex, but we've never had an issue with this...ever

Situations vary. Suzy is good folks.
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

Well, you're succeeding without even trying then. I'm a board certified family lawyer and have had plenty of cases where one parent objected to the other because a designation was a day late. Good for you that you don't have that problem with your ex, but by encouraging people to get their designations made on time, Suzy's more likely costing herself money (since timely designations mean no conflict and, thus, no cases to file at the courthouse).
Rubble
AG
Good to know. I certainly consider myself lucky in my situation, even though we don't get along
Buford Tannen
AG
riverrataggie said:

Seen a lot of Covid divorces popping up lately.
riverrataggie
AG
albatross said:

riverrataggie said:

man and woman arent meant to be around each other this much. its science.
Rubble
AG
albatross said:

riverrataggie said:

I told my wife two things would happen when this **** started, we're going to see a lot of divorces, and we're going to see a lot of newborns, followed by divorces.

Family lawyers are busy
SuzyQ06
Rubble said:

Def. not trying to get money. I hate the summer fights that crop up when kids already know about vacation plans, are excited, but then one parent decides to be an ass or intentionally ignorant, and either designates their weekend on top of a pre-planned trip, forces the other parent to travel to Wyoming to pick up the kid for a weekend visit, or "chain-links" their 30 days to their 1/3/5 weekends to monopolize as much of the summer as possible. The list of ******* things parents do to each other goes on and on...including making the children undress at exchanges because one parent got mad at the other for not returning that parent's clothes at the end of visits.

I do have quite a few people who call me from this board, and I do not remember all the names or emails. Sometimes, its a quick 15 min. chat; other times, its a consultation; other times, some have hired me.

I only see the awful side of divorce. That's why I'm in business, so my data set is skewed. I do know that healthy co-parents are out there, but the order and this calendar exist as fall-backs. The more I educate families, the better my cases go.

I turn away just as many potential clients as those who hire me. For some potential clients, "now just isn't the right time for you to take action, here's a plan and a strategy so that you can present a clearer picture in court," or "If you take this to court, you are going to lose. I don't like losing. You will lose because of X, Y, Z. Stop doing X, Y, Z now."

Of course there are lawyers out there who will let anyone hire them, and they will advance any claim that a client makes, but I have my own ethical obligations to the courts, my client, and my partners. I have a good reputation and I won't sacrifice it for one case.
SuzyQ06
Rubble said:

albatross said:

riverrataggie said:

I told my wife two things would happen when this **** started, we're going to see a lot of divorces, and we're going to see a lot of newborns, followed by divorces.

Family lawyers are busy
Very busy.
Rubble
AG
My money comment was not appropriate and I apologize. Thank you for what you do to help divorced families!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.