Metroplex
Sponsored by

DART new D2 subway line through downtown

3,377 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by double aught
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Being voted on today. 50% federal funding.

Takes the Green and Orange lines and reroutes them at Victory station through uptown past Perot then underground along Griffin south to Commerce and then east under 45/75 then back above ground to relink in at the new Live Oak station which is on Good Latimer and moves a block north of the current Deep Ellum station. With three downtown underground stations.

This would significantly decrease cross train congestion in downtown where currently all the red/blue and green/orange lines cross.

I like the plan actually. Although I understand it also means Bottled Blonde bar in Deep Ellum gets destroyed. It is in the way. highest $ bar in Dallas but supposedly owners have been looking for a buyer and to move for 3 years.

There will be five new DART stations constructed downtown:
  • Museum Station will go at street level next door to the Perot Museum of Nature and Science
  • Metro Center Station The largest subway station will go in below the West Transit Center near West End Station. It will be the only station serving all rail lines.
  • Commerce Station The rail stop will sit below Commerce Street outside of the new Discovery District at AT&T's headquarters.
  • CBD East Station The underground station planned for Pearl Expressway between Main and Elm would serve the new East Quarter district and other points on the eastern edge of downtown.
  • Live Oak Station A new station would be constructed at Live Oak Street and Good Latimer, between the Latino Cultural Center and Live Oak Lofts. It would replace the Deep Ellum Station, which is being removed. (Much of the existing Deep Ellum Station will be salvaged and relocated to the Live Oak Station.)

OKC~Ag
One time I tried to use DART rail to get DFW few days ago...their line to DFW got shut down after 8pm for some reason and shuttle people form Bachman station to DFW. It took an hour plus what should have been 20 minutes...clowns.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
OKC~Ag said:

One time I tried to use DART rail to get DFW few days ago...their line to DFW got shut down after 8pm for some reason and shuttle people form Bachman station to DFW. It took an hour plus what should have been 20 minutes...clowns.

Hmmm.... I used it a lot to go to DFW back in 2014-2018 but then I switched and started flying SW out of Love.

I liked it when I used it to DFW. Don't think I ever flew back that late though so I never had a time when it was not running.

With rush hour either way (in the morning to catch a flight, or evening upon return) the drive option took me just as long.

Drive option:

drive - 45 minutes generally using express lanes
park - 5 minutes
shuttle to terminal - 15-20 minutes

The DART option was

drive to DART station at WR - 5 minutes
train to Terminal A - 1 hour to 1:15 depending (blue to downtown and switch to orange)

So just about the same on time - but my stress level was 90% less.
And the cost was much less: $5 round trip on DART vs. $6-$10 in express tolls plus $15/day remote parking.

Goose
AG
Keeping it at grade near the AAC seems like it would F up traffic during already really F'ed up traffic on event nights.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Goose said:

Keeping it at grade near the AAC seems like it would F up traffic during already really F'ed up traffic on event nights.

Fair point. It crosses Houston which can be backed up all the way to Woodall Rogers before and after games.

But they don't seem to care about traffic jams - the city I mean. Hard part is to keep cars off those tracks where they are stuck when a train comes through. Would need a police presence there at least to control the cars.

Would be better if it went underground right where it turns off the current track after Victory before crossing Houston. No reason the Museum stop could not be underground except cost.

Goose
AG
Anything after Victory (while headed towards DT) is already too late. Heck, if they can't go below grade there, then how about elevate it through Victory Park. (My gut says they can't do that because they don't have the necessary distance to get it down below grade before getting to Metro Center Station.)

Edit: on a semi-related note, I think it's a real shame they couldn't have incorporated that Victory Station more closely to the AAC. Walking a couple of blocks from the station to the arena as it is certainly isn't a big deal, and I don't think it really discourages ridership. But an elevated section there dropping people off right at the front door (or close to it) would have been a sweet setup.)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Goose said:

Anything after Victory (while headed towards DT) is already too late. Heck, if they can't go below grade there, then how about elevate it through Victory Park. (My gut says they can't do that because they don't have the necessary distance to get it down below grade before getting to Metro Center Station.)

Edit: on a semi-related note, I think it's a real shame they couldn't have incorporated that Victory Station more closely to the AAC. Walking a couple of blocks from the station to the arena as it is certainly isn't a big deal, and I don't think it really discourages ridership. But an elevated section there dropping people off right at the front door (or close to it) would have been a sweet setup.)

Agreed on top point.

Seems shoehorned to make a Museum stop happen. Thing is - imho - museum patrons are not coming from Green Line to the north or south. They would be more likely blue/red line riders which means downtown switch to this green/orange line for one stop. Seems like a lot of effort for little payoff.

The whole thing would make more sense if:

• green line from Victory went down toward Union Station like TRE does
  • and then turned east and went underground along Commerce the entire width of downtown
OR actually I believe Young would be a better east/west route - closer to City Hall and Convention Center - and could still come back up to the Deep Ellum/Live Oak station.

But I still think this whole thing is an improvement over what it is - events at ACC TBD on how they handle it.
TommyBrady
AG
Hey, I created that map
MGS
Before they decide to spend billions of dollars on this, why don't they wait a year and see if it's still needed in the post-covid era?
double aught
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

OKC~Ag said:

Hmmm.... I used it a lot to go to DFW back in 2014-2018 but then I switched and started flying SW out of Love.

I liked it when I used it to DFW. Don't think I ever flew back that late though so I never had a time when it was not running.

With rush hour either way (in the morning to catch a flight, or evening upon return) the drive option took me just as long.

Drive option:

drive - 45 minutes generally using express lanes
park - 5 minutes
shuttle to terminal - 15-20 minutes

The DART option was

drive to DART station at WR - 5 minutes
train to Terminal A - 1 hour to 1:15 depending (blue to downtown and switch to orange)

So just about the same on time - but my stress level was 90% less.
And the cost was much less: $5 round trip on DART vs. $6-$10 in express tolls plus $15/day remote parking.

DART to DFW is not a bad option at all. We usually drive to the Belt Line station and ride it one stop. Drops right off at Terminal A.

I've never taken DART to Love, but it looks like they totally blew it there. They should've gone with the station below the terminal. I know, more expensive. But if there's one thing mass transit should get right, it's airport access, IMO.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I've done DART to Love also. It doesn't save time but still cheaper. But I don't do it.

Thing is there is even a closer stop at Burbank Station but the entire SW complex is between there and the airport. I always thought a people mover there would be good enough and there are some plans for it. No clue on funding. Or even from Inwood station.

https://resources.nctcog.org/trans/presentations/documents/PeopleMoverPlanning.pdf
Goose
AG
MGS said:

Before they decide to spend billions of dollars on this, why don't they wait a year and see if it's still needed in the post-covid era?
I'm not even sure it was needed pre-covid and/or if covid had never happened. Tenants traditionally occupying CBD buildings have been migrating north for decades, and advancements in technology to enable people in the workforce to come together virtually instead of in person would have provided better value than the cost for office space in due time anyways. Mass transit in lower density populations is a pipe dream to begin with. But if the increase in work-from-home percentage is combined with the rising popularity of Uber type services, the oncoming promise of ride-share/car-share platforms like Turo or Zipcar, and the incorporation of autonomous vehicles into either or both, then the need to spend a couple billion dollars to get some personal vehicles off the surface streets and alleviate some parking requirements in a CBD on the decline is not a good value at all.
YouBet
AG
Goose said:

MGS said:

I'm not even sure it was needed pre-covid and/or if covid had never happened. Tenants traditionally occupying CBD buildings have been migrating north for decades, and advancements in technology to enable people in the workforce to come together virtually instead of in person would have provided better value than the cost for office space in due time anyways. Mass transit in lower density populations is a pipe dream to begin with. But if the increase in work-from-home percentage is combined with the rising popularity of Uber type services, the oncoming promise of ride-share/car-share platforms like Turo or Zipcar, and the incorporation of autonomous vehicles into either or both, then the need to spend a couple billion dollars to get some personal vehicles off the surface streets and alleviate some parking requirements in a CBD on the decline is not a good value at all.
Yeah, but it's a train.

ROI and financial discipline are immediately moot when you are talking trains.

It could potentially make sense logistically some years from now when traffic returns to pre-COVID, but it may never make sense financially.
AW 1880
AG
Tommy, am I your boss?
DallasAggie89
AG
Dart is the biggest boondoggle in DFW history.

Shut it down.
Cramp00
AW 1880 said:

Tommy, am I your boss?
double aught
AG
I'm sure there are bigger. DART at least provides a service.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

Shut it down.

Based on what?

It's the longest light rail system in the US.
It has the 5th highest ridership nationwide out of 40 systems and the ones with more are either much more urban or much bigger population or both.
Budget wise pre COVID anyway they were generally within budget. apparently they can stem this sharp revenue hit with federal money from the stimulus package.

Just curious.
Robert C. Christian
AG
AW 1880 said:

Tommy, am I your boss?

We're all taxpayers so we're all his boss.
Kellso
Goose said:

MGS said:

I've always thought that this line of thinking was a short sighted way of looking at public transportation.

Anything that gives residents a choice (rather than a car) and gets cars off the streets is a net positive in the long run.

One of the reasons a lot of people hate Houston is that their public transportation options are garbage....which means you have to drive a car everywhere you go. This factors into all the traffic congestion and horrible pollution that Houston is known for.

If I am a business owner, and most of my employees are low income.....I don't want to make it harder for them to get to work. Having to drive to work each day is ultimately a tax.

Its a gas tax, a wear and tear on your car tax, and a life-style tax.

If Dallas is going to want to compete for Global business you must have a way that people can get from the airports to your downtown without having to get in a car.
You can now do that from DFW, but its a bit harder from Love Field.
MGS
Can I have a choice to not pay a one cent sales tax?
TriAg2010
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

DallasAggie89 said:

Shut it down.

Based on what?

It has the 5th highest ridership nationwide out of 40 systems and the ones with more are either much more urban or much bigger population or both.
Budget wise pre COVID anyway they were generally within budget. apparently they can stem this sharp revenue hit with federal money from the stimulus package.

Just curious.

"Within budget" is pretty misleading given that DART budgets an operating loss every year. In 2019, DART had a net operating loss of $742 million. EBITDA would be closer to a $487 million annual loss. That's all pre-COVID and consistent with every year prior. So congratulations DART, you lost the amount of money you expected to lose.

There's a gap approaching three-quarters of a billion dollars each year between the service DART provides and what the public values. We plug that gap with sales tax revenue because, well, big cities are supposed to have a transit system. It's the inertia of conventional wisdom from 40 years ago.

I think it's plain DART has not achieved the stated goals when it was chartered. We're no less sprawled, we're no less congested, and freeways have remained the dominant form of transportation. I think DART provides a public good for serving transportation for some seniors, handicapped, and low-income people, but you could tailor focused solutions to those needs that don't cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
TriAg2010
AG
Kellso said:

Goose said:

MGS said:

I've always thought that this line of thinking was a short sighted way of looking at public transportation.

Anything that gives residents a choice (rather than a car) and gets cars off the streets is a net positive in the long run.

One of the reasons a lot of people hate Houston is that their public transportation options are garbage....which means you have to drive a car everywhere you go. This factors into all the traffic congestion and horrible pollution that Houston is known for.

If I am a business owner, and most of my employees are low income.....I don't want to make it harder for them to get to work. Having to drive to work each day is ultimately a tax.

If Dallas is going to want to compete for Global business you have a way that people can get from the Airports to your downtown without having to get in a car.

Houston has higher mass transit ridership than Dallas because it has a very effective bus network and Park & Rides. Not that it's a big difference. Both cities are practically indistinguishable from a transit standpoint. Any criticism of Houston transit is equally valid or Dallas.

You're just echoing the conventional wisdom that we should have mass transit because we need it to ~compete~ without anything to back up that subjective claim. Apparently it's on the grading rubric to be a "serious" city. Dallas had no issue competing for corporate HQs and businesses before the Orange Line was finished. Practically nobody rides to the airport now anyway.
tysker
AG
Quote:

If Dallas is going to want to compete for Global business you have a way that people can get from the Airports to your downtown without having to get in a car.
I get your point but I'm pretty sure most people flying into and out of JFK/LGA/EWR take cabs into/out of NYC. Yes the train is an option (or a bus from LGA) but often it's slower and more complicated. You're always bound by the train schedule and if you're incoming/outgoing during an off peak time, you could wait 30-45 mins for a train. And depending on where you're going in NYC from EWR, you might even three different train tickets (NJT, PATH, subway) and then have to walk the rest of the way. People usually prefer the door-to-door service of a car if priced well.
double aught
AG
I could be wrong, but I think the cab lobby had a lot to do with the NYC situation you describe.
Kellso
TriAg2010 said:

Kellso said:

Goose said:

MGS said:

Houston has higher mass transit ridership than Dallas because it has a very effective bus network and Park & Rides. Not that it's a big difference. Both cities are practically indistinguishable from a transit standpoint. Any criticism of Houston transit is equally valid or Dallas.

You're just echoing the conventional wisdom that we should have mass transit because we need it to ~compete~ without anything to back up that subjective claim. Apparently it's on the grading rubric to be a "serious" city. Dallas had no issue competing for corporate HQs and businesses before the Orange Line was finished. Practically nobody rides to the airport now anyway.
Your just echoing the.... "its too expensive because it doesn't benefit me" mantra that I've heard for years.

Freeways = Good.
Public Transit = Bad

and Houston does not equal Dallas because you can't commute on a train from Sugarland or Spring to the Texas Medical Center or downtown Houston like you can in Dallas.

If you work in Central Houston and want to live in the burbs then you have to drive a car.....and this is why Houston sucks.

I have a client that works at the Dallas VA Hospital in Oak Cliff, and he lives in Plano. His commute is about 10 minutes to the Parker Road Station, and then he takes the train all the way to the front door of his employment.

That is one less car on the road Monday through Friday (multiplied by thousands)

The DART rail is not on the level of what you would see in NYC, DC, Boston..etc
But those transportation agencies have been around a lot longer. They've had a much longer time to fix issues that invariably come up with public transportation.

The DART rail is only 25 years old. Its a baby. This is why its so short sighted to think that a public transport agency is going to turn around everything over night. It doesn't happen that way at all. You have to project 25-40 years forward. Its not supposed to be perfect right away.

I promise you the cities that have great public transportation also took many years to eventually fix their issues.
A great city should not prioritize cars over being able to not drive.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tysker said:

Quote:

I get your point but I'm pretty sure most people flying into and out of JFK/LGA/EWR take cabs into/out of NYC. Yes the train is an option (or a bus from LGA) but often it's slower and more complicated. You're always bound by the train schedule and if you're incoming/outgoing during an off peak time, you could wait 30-45 mins for a train. And depending on where you're going in NYC from EWR, you might even three different train tickets (NJT, PATH, subway) and then have to walk the rest of the way. People usually prefer the door-to-door service of a car if priced well.

It's nowhere near that bad. I've ridden trains from every NY airport to manhattan. If traveling alone and with just a carryon as I usually do then I do that every time. Easy really. With family and lots of bags I take a cab or uber.

Newark is the pain - airport train, PATH train and then NY subway but there is also the high added cost of cabs from NJ because they have $15 tunnel toll added and you have to pay it both ways because they are not allowed to pick up in NYC. So you pay for them to get back effectively. I've paid as little as $50 but as much as $95.

JFK is really a piece of cake - airport train to NYC subway - trains run frequently (unless you come in middle of the night). I've never waited more than 5 mins for a train on either part of it. And a lot cheaper than a $50-$75 cab ride.

La Guardia is a little harder but that is changing as they will add a rail line directly to LGA soon with the complete redo of LGA. But for now it is a bus and NYC subway. the bus runs frequently and pretty efficiently. Cab ride can be as low as $35 but often close to $50.

Timewise with all three it is comparable to a cab especially if there is any traffic. And I do it all the time without ever looking at a train schedule beforehand. Like I said it's usually no more than a 5 minute wait and often a train is just there or arriving.

tysker
AG
You could very well be right, but I gladly paid the $25-30 to/from my apt to LGA versus the 1.5 hr on the subway + bus or the $40-50 to/from JFK to my apt instead of the hour long subway ride + terminal bus ride. With all of your luggage and no guaranteed place to sit. When you're with multiple people it's a no-brainer. EWR pricing is a little different and I while am comfortable with NJT (glorious Newark NJ!) and the Path, but many are not. Any once you've stood outside in the rain and/or 40 degree weather waiting on your train to arrive only to have it packed with commuters and you have stand with your luggage for the next 30 mins into Penn, make your way through Penn to maybe take the subway, and then walk, some might think the $60-80 cab ride is worth it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

DallasAggie89 said:

Shut it down.

Based on what?

Just curious.

"Within budget" is pretty misleading given that DART budgets an operating loss every year. In 2019, DART had a net operating loss of $742 million. EBITDA would be closer to a $487 million annual loss. That's all pre-COVID and consistent with every year prior. So congratulations DART, you lost the amount of money you expected to lose.

There's a gap approaching three-quarters of a billion dollars each year between the service DART provides and what the public values. We plug that gap with sales tax revenue because, well, big cities are supposed to have a transit system. It's the inertia of conventional wisdom from 40 years ago.

I think it's plain DART has not achieved the stated goals when it was chartered. We're no less sprawled, we're no less congested, and freeways have remained the dominant form of transportation. I think DART provides a public good for serving transportation for some seniors, handicapped, and low-income people, but you could tailor focused solutions to those needs that don't cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

I don't know why you think those are the goals - maybe they were I don't know - but I never assumed it was to relieve congestion. And any congestion it might reduce is offset by constant growth - DFW adds 1000 people a day and has for years and thats 365K per year.

The goals - to me - are to provide easy and affordable transportation for those that cannot afford cars and those that prefer to ride rather than fight traffic. And to provide those in the areas of most need and to the areas of a high concentration of businesses. Transportation to airports is way down the priority list imho. Because in DFW anyway the demographic using the light rail are not big travelers. Transport to the airport (as I have seen it) is much more for the airport employees then for the travelers.

That operating budget with the sales tax plug was always the plan - it was never meant to to be self sufficient on fares. To call it a failure for that reason is just anti public transport. Every city does that. Honestly it's a public service paid for by taxes that hit the wealthy for the benefit of the poor. I have no problem with that.

But I like riding the trains and prefer it to fighting traffic - I use it for airports at times, downtown trips, court trips, museum trips, fair trips, etc.

tysker
AG
Quote:

Timewise with all three it is comparable to a cab especially if there is any traffic. And I do it all the time without ever looking at a train schedule beforehand. Like I said it's usually no more than a 5 minute wait and often a train is just there or arriving.
I'll have to disagree on timing as it really depends on your location and if you get an express train/bus. When you catch a local, like at night or on the weekends, it can doubles the amount of time on the train. Even by the MTA train schedule its about an hour from Howard Beach station to 42nd. And that still doesn't take into account, the bus ride to the station from terminal or any walking you need to do once of the subway. It's not hard especially once you've done once or twice its just not nearly as convenient as the door to door service (and the cabbie often helps you with your luggage!)
Goose
AG
Quote:

I have a client that works at the Dallas VA Hospital in Oak Cliff, and he lives in Plano. His commute is about 10 minutes to the Parker Road Station, and then he takes the train all the way to the front door of his employment.

Out of curiosity I looked this up on the DART website. From the Parker Road Station to the VA Medical Station, it's 49 minutes on the Red Line (19 stops) to Cedars Station (5 min layover), then onto the Blue Line for another 14 minutes (5 stops). That's 72 minutes, not including his 10 minutes from the house to the station...one way.

No thanks.
tysker
AG
Quote:

If you work in Central Houston and want to live in the burbs then you have to drive a car.....and this is why Houston sucks.
Hard to argue with the second point but you dont necessarily need a car in world of WFH and telecommuting.

So your argument is that, generally speaking, cities need to think about the future 30-40 years out even though, over the last 30-40 years, cities and states with lesser developed and utilized public transit system have seen more growth and economic expansion than those with high quality public transport? Again generally speaking. Which comes first, the public transportation or the economic growth? What if public transportation actually hinders economic expansion and development because of its well-established infrastructure? Public transit probably does have short and medium run benefits but then technology cannot keep up and the physical infrastructure begin to quickly have negative returns. It's hard to be progressive and forward thinking with generations old technology and facilities.
Log
AG
I used to rider the Red/Orange line from Parker Road to Akard pre-COVID. The one thing (at the time) I wished DART would do, is offer an Express line at certain times of the day that would only stop once or twice on the way to downtown. That being said, I haven't been to the office in a year, and they are making noise about my group going full-time remote, other than a few monthly meetings. Fingers crossed.
Kellso
Goose said:

Quote:

Out of curiosity I looked this up on the DART website. From the Parker Road Station to the VA Medical Station, it's 49 minutes on the Red Line (19 stops) to Cedars Station (5 min layover), then onto the Blue Line for another 14 minutes (5 stops). That's 72 minutes, not including his 10 minutes from the house to the station...one way.

No thanks.
Well, at rush hour in the morning and evening its probably the same amount of time in a car(if not more) from South Oak Cliff to Plano.
He always stated his train ride is about an hour.

and since he is not in a car Monday through Friday that is less money that he is spending on gas, and less money that is spent on the maintenance, wear and tear on his car.

What he stated that he enjoys the most about not having to drive to work(he is a transplanted Californian Republican from the LA area) is that his quality of life is much better.

He is not stuck in a car for 2 hours a day like most of his neighbors. The train is relaxing, and nowhere near as stressful as dealing with Dallas rush hour traffic each day.

He still gets to enjoy the suburban Collin County lifestyle, and good schools for his kids while not having to drive a car to his employment center in South Oak Cliff.

This is how its done in those major East Coast Cities....and again those cities transportation networks have been around longer, and are much more established than DART.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Log said:

I used to rider the Red/Orange line from Parker Road to Akard pre-COVID. The one thing (at the time) I wished DART would do, is offer an Express line at certain times of the day that would only stop once or twice on the way to downtown. That being said, I haven't been to the office in a year, and they are making noise about my group going full-time remote, other than a few monthly meetings. Fingers crossed.

yeah they cannot do Express trains because there is no alternate track - had they built with a third track or even just had passing tracks split at stations then they could do express unidirectionally which would be enough for dallas. that's how NY does express trains they bypass stations on an extra set of rails thus passing non express trains.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.