Metroplex
Sponsored by

Baby Doe's in Dallas

3,494 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Rascal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Used to be located on top of Goat Hill behind the iconic waterfall billboard (just off I-35) and near American Airlines Center.

Anyone ever go there back in the day? I had one date there back in the late 90's, but that was my only visit, so I don't recall much about it especially since that girl didn't work out.
3rd Platoon
AG
Never went to Baby Doe's, but I went to Baby DOLLS quite a lot back in the day. The old location on NW Hwy and Webb Chapel probably still has traces of the money I blew on the girls there circa 2001-02.
---------------------------------------
aka Commander 99 and "The Fake Dave South"
chick79
AG
The full name was Baby Doe's Matchless Mine Company and it was a great place for great food and views back in the 70s and 80s.
Texas Ag Mom
I went there a few times between 1970-1980 for special occasion dinners. Ha! Loved their beer cheese soup.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

I went there a few times between 1970-1980 for special occasion dinners. Ha! Loved their beer cheese soup.
That was good stuff.

Took a couple of dates there back in late 70's.

It was pretty cool back then.
wbt5845
AG
I went there a couple of times in the late 70s.

That sign was originally a Pearl Beer sign, wasn't it?
aglaw01
AG
Prom date...1988. Good times. Followed by Prom at the Apparel Mart (now razed I believe) off Inwood(ish) and I35 (Stemmons). Theme song was whatever the hit song from Dirty Dancing was - time of our lives or something. Giddy up!!!
YouBet
AG
Never actually went there but I will say the apartment complex they put up in its place is an absolute eyesore. Was hoping they would put up something somewhat aesthetic considering that spot is so prominent.
Texker
AG
We went there every so often for special occasions. I used to collect matchbooks back then (still have them) so checked the boxes and sure enough, have one!

fc2112
YouBet said:

Never actually went there but I will say the apartment complex they put up in its place is an absolute eyesore. Was hoping they would put up something somewhat aesthetic considering that spot is so prominent.
Good Lord... I hadn't seen it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.79634,-96.8150383,3a,75y,74.39h,97.75t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-YEtzHRbcUf3Ib0UqDG3_g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D-YEtzHRbcUf3Ib0UqDG3_g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D163.75916%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
Rudyjax
AG
Always wanted to but never made it.
PooDoo
AG
Parents took me there for graduation... that's really all I remember.
culdeus
AG
Another place that was famous was some restaurant that sat east of Fort Worth on top of a hill facing back. Nobody could figure out how the hell to get up there and I think it (burned down) was (torn down)?
YouBet
AG
fc2112 said:

YouBet said:

Good Lord... I hadn't seen it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.79634,-96.8150383,3a,75y,74.39h,97.75t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-YEtzHRbcUf3Ib0UqDG3_g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D-YEtzHRbcUf3Ib0UqDG3_g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D163.75916%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

It's almost like they started out with some kind of influence from the LA Coliseum and then forgot about it part way through. Hideous.
Texker
AG
culdeus said:

Another place that was famous was some restaurant that sat east of Fort Worth on top of a hill facing back. Nobody could figure out how the hell to get up there and I think it (burned down) was (torn down)?
Yes, we went there numerous times when we had family visiting. Can't remember the name though.

EDIT: I did a quick Google search and found this thread.

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2507
MW03
AG
I have a memory of taking my beater high school car there for homecoming dinner one year and delighting in the fact that (1) I would have to try and get it up the hill, and (2) that some poor ******* would have to valet it.

AG
MW03 said:

I have a memory of taking my beater high school car there for homecoming dinner one year and delighting in the fact that (1) I would have to try and get it up the hill, and (2) that some poor ******* would have to valet it.

Same here. I wonder how many clutches that valet service bought
WC87
AG
Attended the restaurant at least twice.
CapCityAg89
AG
Girl I dated got a "bonus" from work - $200 expense report few questions asked (couldn't be for bills or groceries - fun only). We went to Billy Bobs and saw Jerry Lee Lewis at 70-something (still awesome) and then Baby Does for brunch the next day. We had to blow a bunch of the money as BB was so cheap so bought good champagne for mimosas.

Lots of fun - I always thought that was a great bonus method. I don't know if it's legal any more.
HarleySpoon
AG
Got engaged there.....got disengaged elsewhere. Always enjoyed the beer cheese soup.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
OMG

I went there A LOT.

First time was 1982 homecoming as a junior - recommended by other classmates. Loved the place but the date was a disaster. Oh well.

I then later started dating a girl from another HS and we went there for homecoming my senior year and I never mentioned I had taken someone else there the year before.

We then continued going there for many many years on special occasions because we dated for 6 years and are now married for 31 years. Of course it wasn't open all that time. I forget when it closed exactly. I found an article saying 2006 but I probably had not been since maybe late 90s.

Loved the beer cheese soup of course. Everyone raved about it. We got the recipe for it one year as it was published in the paper for some reason but it never tasted as good at home.

The hill and the parking scene were entertainment themselves. I always drove a clutch back in the day. That was fun to navigate and the valets had to hate it - every clutch is different.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.