Metroplex
Sponsored by

WINTER STORMWATCH 2020-21

174,467 Views | 1875 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CoppellAg93
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
752bro4 said:

AggieFrog said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

Slept like a baby

Same - went to bed as storms rolled in around midnight and didn't wake up once.
You people clearly don't have babies if you're bragging about sleeping like one.
Does 3 and 4 count? I know it's different than "babies" but when they were tiny we would vacuum and make crap tons of noise while they were napping so they wouldn't be sensitive to sounds while sleeping. They slept through it all. Not saying that works on all kids but we have several friends that were crazy about being quiet when their kids were sleeping and they all have troubles with their kids sleeping now.
Decay
AG
My kids sleep through anything except a quiet house
Legal Custodian
AG
Reminds me of a Shelby Metcalf quote after a disappointing loss:

Reporter: "Coach, how did you sleep last night after that loss."
Shelby: "I slept like a baby.......slept an hour, cried an hour, slept an hour, cried an hour..."
Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
SoupNazi2001 said:

agcrock2005 said:

752bro4 said:

AggieFrog said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

Slept like a baby

You people clearly don't have babies if you're bragging about sleeping like one.
Does 3 and 4 count? I know it's different than "babies" but when they were tiny we would vacuum and make crap tons of noise while they were napping so they wouldn't be sensitive to sounds while sleeping. They slept through it all. Not saying that works on all kids but we have several friends that were crazy about being quiet when their kids were sleeping and they all have troubles with their kids sleeping now.

Ah yes we've all had those friends and family where the baby goes down and the wife is a nervous wreck shushing people or constantly adjusting the TV volume.

Since we're Lready derailed on this. The bigger issue IMO is sleep training the kid to put themselves back to sleep. If the kid won't go back to sleep after being woke up by thunder without rocking/cuddling etc. That's the real problem. Otherwise, kids will wake up, and put themselves right back to sleep unless something is actually wrong.
planoaggie123
AG
I haven't assessed must of my stuff this week and may not for another week.

I have St. Augustine and while I really dont want to spend the money, if it all dies I am not sure I would hate it. My last home it was always patchy and current home is the same. We try to be as textbook as we can with it but it just seems soooo sensitive.
Cappo
AG
More big ass storms coming it looks like
Rubble
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

agcrock2005 said:

752bro4 said:

AggieFrog said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

Slept like a baby

Ah yes we've all had those friends and family where the baby goes down and the wife is a nervous wreck shushing people or constantly adjusting the TV volume.

Since we're Lready derailed on this. The bigger issue IMO is sleep training the kid to put themselves back to sleep. If the kid won't go back to sleep after being woke up by thunder without rocking/cuddling etc. That's the real problem. Otherwise, kids will wake up, and put themselves right back to sleep unless something is actually wrong.

I have almost 4 year old twins (the youngest 2 of the 5). One of them will put himself back to sleep no problem, the other one is a pill. My 8 year old can't go to sleep on his own. The 14 & 17 year old would sleep through a tornado. Ah, the joys of being a parent.
2aggiesmom
Decay said:

I grew up in Florida so storms help me sleep but last night was wild. Had several strikes with split second flash/clap reports. Some weird electrical things going on with the house this morning. Will have to troubleshoot some things today.
I grew up in Florida also. I was so happy to find out there were thunderstorms here. I especially love Thunderstorms at the beach. I find it so relaxing, I am always baffled by those that do not like them. In case you wondered, yes i have had close lightning strikes before. In Tampa it struck a pine tree in the yard and ran through the roots and up the side of the house even knocking some bricks off the side, looked like an explosion. I still love them. My two Australian Shepherds are not bothered at all. My little Red tri female would stay out in the storm if I let her.
Robert C. Christian
AG
2aggiesmom said:

Decay said:

I grew up in Florida so storms help me sleep but last night was wild. Had several strikes with split second flash/clap reports. Some weird electrical things going on with the house this morning. Will have to troubleshoot some things today.
I grew up in Florida also. I was so happy to find out there were thunderstorms here. I especially love Thunderstorms at the beach. I find it so relaxing, I am always baffled by those that do not like them. In case you wondered, yes i have had close lightning strikes before. In Tampa it struck a pine tree in the yard and ran through the roots and up the side of the house even knocking some bricks off the side, looked like an explosion. I still love them. My two Australian Shepherds are not bothered at all. My little Red tri female would stay out in the storm if I let her.

Well we are in tornado alley.

Serious queation though, are there places in the US without thunderstorms?
AggieFrog
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

2aggiesmom said:

Decay said:

Big thunderstorms yes. California for example. Also the NE (think it was DC) got a typical Texas spring storm and it was all over the news.
CowtownEng
Robert C. Christian said:

2aggiesmom said:

Decay said:

Very rare on the west coast.

Robert C. Christian
AG
Well, today I learned... thanks.
Decay
AG
Wanna hear something crazy? They don't even have weather radar in the Pacific Northwest states!

As for storm damage: We ended up having to flip a few tripped breakers, power cycle a few devices, replace our microwave, replace a GFI outlet, replace our frontier router, and our coffee maker "coffee's done" beep sounds different.

I think I'm going to get a whole-house surge protector...
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Several of last year's CA wildfires were caused by lightning. I happened to be visiting a refinery in the Bay Area at the time, and the locals acted like it was the first time they had seen lightning.
Absolute
AG
Got my atmos bill today. Double the previous month. Not horrible I guess all things considered since I had power the whole time, my old house had horrible insulation and we ran the gas log fireplace probably 18 hours a day that week.

Did notice in the fine print that Atmos said they are not passing on the momentary spiked NG prices "for now." Never really gave it any thought before, but are our NG gas rates fully variable? If they plan to pass on the Good ole Boy price spikes that they (our wonderful politicians and the Energy industry companies) have allowed to make each other wealthy, I kinda have issue with that.
aggielostinETX
AG
Was that an actual read or a guess? Atmos has moved to reading meters about every third month.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
rynning
AG
A broken part on my pool heater was finally fixed yesterday, so I feel lucky to be up and running. The pool guy said there's currently a four month wait on new heaters...
DonaldFDraper
AG
Mine was 3x of the last bill. Double a very cold month. But we didn't have power for two full days. I requested a meter re-read, they said they did estimated amounts.
riverrataggie
AG
My Atmos was only about 20% more than previous month. Rate didn't change and made sense as the week leading up and after the big event the heater rarely kicked on.
agcrock2005
AG
Coserv bill in Roanoke was only 78% of January bill. Not sure how that happened but I'll take it!
CoppellAg93
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

Mine was 3x of the last bill. Double a very cold month. But we didn't have power for two full days. I requested a meter re-read, they said they did estimated amounts.
I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that they always estimate every other bill because they don't come out to read the meters every month. Sometimes the hit shows up the next bill - sometimes it's the month after. Hopefully with your triple bill you're next one will offset some of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.