Metroplex
Sponsored by

WINTER STORMWATCH 2020-21

175,143 Views | 1875 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CoppellAg93
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well.......anything expected?

I figured with Winter officially kicking off in a couple of weeks, now was good as time as any to start a thread. Everything looks pretty mild on the forecast over the next couple of weeks.
TexasAggie008
AG
May already be on your radar but this is the best place for TX winter weather chatter I've found......its pretty slow by texags standards but when there's something worth knowing, you'll have some quality people chiming in (pro and amateur mets)

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120985&start=80

To answer your question - I sure as hell hope so! Way overdue for a true snow day in DFW
TexasAggie008
AG
Sad fact (as of Feb 2020 at least)

"During the last five years at Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW), a total of 0.3 of snow has been recorded. That includes the 0.2 that fell back on January 11. This is the lowest 5-year snow total in the 120-year record."
mAgnoliAg
AG
I moved up here in 2017 and everybody talked about how it actually snows here. I ain't seen ****
bbattbq01
AG
We had that really great snow in the fall-winter of 2014-2015 and diddly since then.
YouBet
AG
Jesus exacted revenge on Jerrah for the Superbowl and has spared us since.
Phat32
AG
Wish we could get a little dusting as now I have young kids. They love snow.
Rubble
AG
On the other hand, it's nice to play golf in shorts in December...
MGS
TexasAggie008 said:

Sad fact (as of Feb 2020 at least)

"During the last five years at Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW), a total of 0.3 of snow has been recorded. That includes the 0.2 that fell back on January 11. This is the lowest 5-year snow total in the 120-year record."
120 year record at DFW Airport?
TexasAggie008
AG
yeah, basically saying that of all the 5 year increments over the last 120 years - the most recent 5 year increment had the lowest total amount of snow
agchino
AG
He's pointing out that DFW Airport has not existed for 120 years...
TexasAggie008
AG
touche

yes, the snippet I copied should have said "the metro's official climate site" instead of DFW airport

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/curious-texas/2019/02/27/why-are-official-weather-records-taken-at-dfw-airport-curious-texas-heads-out-to-the-runway/
george07
AG
My daughter just turned 5 in October and she has been wishing forever that it would snow. That stat doesn't surprise me, the last five years have definitely been snow free. I go to the upper Midwest a lot for work and my daughter has always wanted me to take her to Minnesota so she can finally see some snow haha
Legal Custodian
AG
Quote:

Brent wrote:the CMC had some snow to the NW but it dies out on approach(sounds about like normal for Dallas) The 0z Euro has some mixed precip in the western metro briefly Sunday morning but its short lived and doesn't spread
Quote:

0Z Euro shows column below freezing down to 925mb when bulk of precip moves through Sunday morning. Euro ENS members have 1/2 to 1 inch snow across DFW. Something to finally follow, it's been awhile!!
These are two posts from that link TexasAggie008 posted. Still nothing showing on WC forecast, but might be something to keep an eye on?
Legal Custodian
AG
Should have kept reading as that was from a post this morning. This is from something a couple of hours ago

Quote:

12z Euro snows in Oklahoma but not DFW

Icon has trended that way after being snowy in DFW last night, CMC same idea

I honestly have no idea what these guys are saying. I JUST WANT SNOW DAMMIT!!!!
Corps_Ag12
AG
If you want snow, move further north. Oklahoma City is very vibrant and cold this time of the year.

I for one am enjoying this mild weather!
wbt5845
AG
Having lived several years in the mountains of SW Virginia, I can do without snow for the rest of my life.

BTW - we'll never have a snow day again. Now all the kids will just have to jump onto Zoom.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I purchased my truck 5 years ago next month. I've always dreaded the next ice storm when I have to navigate going up the drive then swinging 90 degrees into the garage.

Haven't had to try it yet (nor snow).

Weird because I remember several years starting in 2011 or 2012 we had bad ice storms, one year twice within a month or so.
Take the trash out staff.
YouBet
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

I purchased my truck 5 years ago next month. I've always dreaded the next ice storm when I have to navigate going up the drive then swinging 90 degrees into the garage.

Haven't had to try it yet (nor snow).

Weird because I remember several years starting in 2011 or 2012 we had bad ice storms, one year twice within a month or so.
I had to park my RWD Lexus at the end of the driveway for a few days several years ago because of this.
culdeus
AG
There was that four day period of cobblestone ice and the super bowl I remember. Seems forever ago. Now I suppose schools have infrastructure to just go remote if it ever happens again.

I'll stop there before we summon the dead from F16.
Goose
AG
No more snow days? Really??

Y'all honestly don't think teachers will 'accidentally' forget to bring their computer home that day?? Or claim that the ice took down telephone lines to their neighborhood and their internet is out? Teachers like em some snow days just as much if not more than the students I bet.
culdeus
AG
Goose said:

Y'all honestly don't think teachers will 'accidentally' forget to bring their computer home that day?? Or claim that the ice took down telephone lines to their neighborhood and their internet is out? Teachers like em some snow days just as much if not more than the students I bet.
At this point we've got 5th graders that haven't even had one to know what it's like.

One of the effects of (thing that shall not be named) is increased upper level wind shear. The shear works to clean out moisture in the upper level where these ice storms tend to need it to be if we want to be pasted with inches and inches of ice on the road. We can still get snow, but these massive ice storms of years past are going to need some really funky things to line up just perfectly to summon Michael Irvin.
Legal Custodian
AG
Looking like great weather over the next week and half or so. Still no winter weather in the forecast...
Decay
AG
culdeus said:

Goose said:

At this point we've got 5th graders that haven't even had one to know what it's like.

One of the effects of (thing that shall not be named) is increased upper level wind shear. The shear works to clean out moisture in the upper level where these ice storms tend to need it to be if we want to be pasted with inches and inches of ice on the road. We can still get snow, but these massive ice storms of years past are going to need some really funky things to line up just perfectly to summon Michael Irvin.

I was actually wondering if that was the case. Slightly higher temps are one thing, but actual snow and ice precipitation seems to be trending way down in Texas regardless of temps. Interesting.
Not Sure
AG
Looks like a slight chance of wintery precip this week. Are the tv weather guessers freaking out yet?
Legal Custodian
AG
Not Sure said:

Looks like a slight chance of wintery precip this week. Are the tv weather guessers freaking out yet?

Wow. Weather channel shows we'll get 2 inches of snow on Thursday. Finally something to look forward to
FincAg
AG
"Not so fast my friend"

Fox4 this morning throwing some 'warm water' on the snow idea. See what I did there? Cold rain with possible sleet coming to northern counties. Temp forecast won't be below freezing for more than a moment.
Aggie
AG
Has now basically just turned into a wet cold front
Legal Custodian
duck79
AG
Of course. No way 2020 would allow itself to be the year that breaks the snow curse.
JDL 96
I wouldn't put much stock in a weather forecast 48 hours plus out. It could still snow. Or be cold and rainy. Or just cold. Or just cool.
GarryowenAg
AG
It's been 5 years since we've had a major ice/snow storm.
bbattbq01
AG
Dumb_Loggy said:

Pretty sure, six... was shortly after my youngest was born.
Robert C. Christian
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Dumb_Loggy said:

Pretty sure, six... was shortly after my youngest was born.

Last recorded snowfall was in 2015.
Ervin Burrell
AG
I could have sworn we had some back around this time in 2016 (or very early 2017). Perhaps that was just ice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.