Metroplex
Sponsored by

Has anyone tried Verizon 5G Home yet?

5,394 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Shumba
Shumba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Flower Mound and they just put up a 5G tower about 200 feet from my house. I saw where 5g home service is available, and I wanted to see if anyone has signed up for it yet and can tell me what download and upload speeds they are getting. I'm currently with Spectrum, but they raised my rate and I haven't had the best experience with them (I want to drop them, but I had Frontier before, and they are horrible as well). Anyway, SIAP but I hadn't seen anything yet. Thanks.

Spaceship
AG
Shumba said:

I live in Flower Mound and they just put up a 5G tower about 200 feet from my house. I saw where 5g home service is available, and I wanted to see if anyone has signed up for it yet and can tell me what download and upload speeds they are getting. I'm currently with Spectrum, but they raised my rate and I haven't had the best experience with them (I want to drop them, but I had Frontier before, and they are horrible as well). Anyway, SIAP but I hadn't seen anything yet. Thanks.

I don't have anything to offer but I'm following this too as a fellow Flower Mound resident who's also disenchanted with the traditional providers.
fka ftc
I live in FloMo and switched to the Frontier gig service for all in $74.99 inc tax/fees. Partnered with Eero Pros over the weekend and there is some nice WiFi in the house (at least 250/300mps on multiple devices).

Just checked wife's new iPhone 12 this morning on ATT 5G connection. 30mps down, 2mps up. Could not tell you how close we are to their tower. I would absolutely want a trial run on the Verizon 5G before committing. I've had an ATT 4G hotspot (the Netgear Nighthawk) and have never been impressed with it.
Spaceship
AG
fka ftc said:

I live in FloMo and switched to the Frontier gig service for all in $74.99 inc tax/fees. Partnered with Eero Pros over the weekend and there is some nice WiFi in the house (at least 250/300mps on multiple devices).

Just checked wife's new iPhone 12 this morning on ATT 5G connection. 30mps down, 2mps up. Could not tell you how close we are to their tower. I would absolutely want a trial run on the Verizon 5G before committing. I've had an ATT 4G hotspot (the Netgear Nighthawk) and have never been impressed with it.

Thanks. What part of town are you in?
fka ftc
Spaceship said:

fka ftc said:

Thanks. What part of town are you in?
Off Wichita Trl.
aggolfer
AG
fka ftc said:

That is 5Ge, not true 5G speeds the higher spectrum.
Shumba
AG
Interesting turn of events. Woke up this morning, jumped online for work and about ten minutes in, Spectrum goes out. Take a look at the Spectrum site on my phone and it looks like we have an outage. The site says it will be back online in a couple of hours. I figure, this may be a good enough reason to check out Verizon.

I go to the Verizon 5G site, and go to order it and it is now telling me that I am not in the service area. Weird, I have a Verizon 5G tower no more than 150 feet away from my house. I figure it's a mistake, so I put my neighbor's address in the query (Verizon's site tells you if you can get 5G Home) because they are probably 50 feet from the tower, and it says that they are not in the service area either. Maybe Verizon spoke too soon? Anyway, I think I will stick to Spectrum until I can get some verified customers in my area that are getting better than 300 Mbps.
bco2003
AG
Shumba said:

I go to the Verizon 5G site, and go to order it and it is now telling me that I am not in the service area. Weird, I have a Verizon 5G tower no more than 150 feet away from my house. I figure it's a mistake, so I put my neighbor's address in the query (Verizon's site tells you if you can get 5G Home) because they are probably 50 feet from the tower, and it says that they are not in the service area either. Maybe Verizon spoke too soon? Anyway, I think I will stick to Spectrum until I can get some verified customers in my area that are getting better than 300 Mbps.
I work for another provider. At least for our home internet service, despite service availability in a zip code, not every tower in that zip code is eligible for the service if there is already a high amount of data usage on that tower.

Home internet is prioritized lower than mobile data usage, so we don't want to sell service to users if there is not enough capacity on that tower to provide a good home internet user experience.

Not for sure if Verizon has the same rationale, but I suspect it may be the case.
Absolute
AG
Bit off topic, though I am definitely interested in the 5g home. Bought a 5g capable phone with Verizon 12 or so months ago based on their adds that the service was coming any day. Have yet to ever experience 5g.

These providers suck.
Shumba
AG
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess it's still going to be a while before 5G really takes off. Guess I'll stick with spectrum for the time being even though they are turrible.
Shumba
AG
Bump to see if anyone has been able to sign up yet and how they like it.
YouBet
AG
5G is still fake news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/09/08/5g-speed/

Quote:

When I asked executives at the networks about speed, they acknowledged a truth their advertisements carefully omit. "Our 5G experience initially is as good or better than our 4G LTE experience," said Chris Sambar, AT&T's executive vice president for technology operations. Let that sink in: At least for now, 5G is only as good as 4G.
Quote:

Like a three-layer cake, 5G comes in bands: low, mid and high. Each band requires access to radio spectrum from the Federal Communications Commission and cellular towers in the right places.
Right now, AT&T and T-Mobile are mostly using low band. This is not the tastiest bite of the 5G cake it doesn't deliver much faster download speeds than today's 4G LTE networks, with which it shares spectrum. However, low-band 5G allows signals to travel the farthest and penetrate walls. Building out low band allowed T-Mobile and AT&T to claim their 5G is "nationwide," serving at least 200 million customers.

When PC Magazine challenged AT&T about shortcomings of its low-band 5G network in January, the company downplayed speed. "We've been pretty vocal that early on there's no tremendous difference," AT&T vice president Gordon Mansfield said at that time.

Verizon, the largest U.S. wireless carrier, has announced it also will launch a low-band 5G network by the end of the year [2020]. And at least to investors, Verizon's CEO also has been blunt about the incremental improvements nationwide 5G will offer over 4G. "In the beginning, it's going to be small," Hans Vestberg told a JPMorgan conference in May.
More detailed explanation on low, mid and high band 5G: https://www.futurithmic.com/2020/02/11/why-spectrum-bands-matter-in-a-5g-world/

Basically, the technology has been sold to the public on the wonders of high band 5G and it's game changing speeds. However, there are massive caveats to that:

Quote:

Millimeter wave spectrum [high band] is limited because signals can't travel very far in some cases the signal will travel less than a mile and they are also susceptible to interference from things like trees and buildings and even glass.

But the benefit of millimeter wave spectrum is that if the signal is unencumbered users can get connection speeds between 1 Gbps to 3 Gbps or even higher.
So, can't go through walls and has to be unencumbered. So, it's effectively pointless in the wild. Zero reason to upgrade your phones if your only reason to is to get 5G.
Shumba
AG
Welp, looks like I'll be stuck with spectrum for the foreseeable future. I really wanted something faster and more reliable. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Shumba
AG
Bump one more time. Spectrum is ticking me off, so I wanted to see if anyone has moved to Verizon wireless 5G Home yet.
fka ftc
I noticed what appear to be "lamp post" 5g towers getting installed along Flower Mound Rd and 2499 area. They wear black and somewhat similar to below recently put in at Disney. Cannot confirm but curious if this would make home based 5G service possible / more reliable.

Not Sure
AG
I can't comment on Verizon's offering, but I just tried T-Mobile's home internet and it is complete garbage.
Shumba
AG
So, I finally was able to sign up for Verizon's offering. They are supposed to send out a technician to set it up next Tuesday. My only question (which was to the sales guy who probably would say anything to get his commission) was will their modem work with my Google WiFi set up. I know that Google WiFi is a bit old now (it's called Google Nest now, right?), but it has been working well with Spectrum, I just think that the Spectrum service is trash. Anyway, I figured I'd run both of them (Spectrum and Verizon) for a month and see if Verizon is noticeably better. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.
Ag CPA
AG
What are your issues with Spectrum, I have used their internet ever since Fios was bought by Frontier and have only had a few outages over the years. Probably much more reliable than beta 5G service.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Anyone have experience with Suddenlink in the far northern burbs, specifically the 1 Gps service?
Shumba
AG
Good question. We've had quite a few outages here, but they could be attributed to the fact that our neighborhood is older (our house was built in 1986) and I imagine the cable lines are pretty old. I'm not entirely sure if that plays a part, but maybe it does? I've also not seen anywhere near the download speed I pay for. I pay for 300 down and 20 up and I've only hit 200 a handful of times. Plus I lost my introductory discount, so I'm now paying 20 more bucks a month. I know it's first-world problems, but I figured I'd give 5g a shot. So far it's been working well. I'm averaging 400 down and 200 up, so that is an improvement. Granted, it's only been a few days, but I'm happy with everything so far.
Shumba
AG
Just bumping this post. I have been on Verizon Home 5g for over six months now, and it's only gone down once for about four hours. I have been getting anywhere from 150 mbps down to over 1 gig. I'd say we average about 350 mbps down. Upload speeds have been over 150 mbps (if that matters to anyone). Anyway, I'd have to say that we are pretty satisfied with Verizon so far. I read where more homes may be added later this month and I believe that same article mentioned that speeds will be more consistent. We were on Spectrum and Frontier previously (not at the same time).
nortex97
AG
Are you on the northside of town, Shumba?

The comparison I read this month favored VZW. Still, it seems like the necessary C-band is still not quite live yet. It's also not available at my place in Frisco at this time.
Shumba
AG
I'm a couple of blocks south of Marcus High School. So, yes, I'm in North Flower Mound, near Highland Village. My wife and kids are on T-Mobile for their cell phones, and the connection is not great up here. I have a work cell phone through AT&T and it is better than my family's T-Mobile lines.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.