Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best place to eat in Cowtown?

1,707 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wbt5845
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're heading to FW this weekend and will hang out in Cowtown Friday night. It's been a few years so I was curious what restaurants people recommend. TIA!
MW03
AG
The weather should be glorious, so if you're going to be near the stockyards, I could not recommend The Love Shack enough. Incredible burgers. If you're looking for something fancier, the Reata and Lonesome Dove are still the best bets.
proc
AG
For food + atmosphere, Reata is a pretty solid choice.
MW03
AG
Reata is very hard to beat.

Love Shack is at the other end of the spectrum. It's an upstairs/downstairs venue wedged between two buildings in an alley. It's next door to the White Elephant. Great couple of places to grab a beer and a burger and enjoy some ridiculous weather.

Speaking of, if you've never been to the White Elephant Saloon, it a pretty solid recommendation, too. It's in the infamous Hells Half Acre down there if you're into old 1800 cowboy history. Lots of famous boots walked in and out the doors of whatever that place was called (I don't think it's always been the White Elephant).

Again, very, vert different experience than Reata, ha.
Chewy
AG
Just for clarification Hell's Half Acre was located where the Water Garden is now in Downtown. White Elephant has plenty of history beyond all the hats of people that have been there. Its also where the Ewing's would go drinking when they visited Fort Worth and Walker Texas Ranger grabbed a drink or two.

Another option if you're looking for something a little different is Magnolia Avenue just south of Downtown and the Med Center. Ellerbe's and Lili's Bistro are really good. Cat City Grill is also pretty solid. Recommend reservations. Magnolia has some dessert and wine/drink places to hit after dinner.

Another place in the Stockyards is H3 Steakhouse. It's pretty reasonable. You can sit in a saddle at the bar drinking a Buffalo Butt brewed in Fort Worth.

If you want Downtown then Reata is your place.
Ptery83
Ate at Provender Hall near the new mule alley area this past weekend and really liked it.
Scotts Tot
AG
Here's a reply I made on the food board a little while back:

Depends on what you're looking for...here are some ideas, and I'm sure others will have more:

Upscale:
Reata - Texas/western/ranch fare, common recommendation for visitors
Waters - Best seafood
Bonnell's - Steakhouse specializing in game meats
Clay Pigeon - Eclectic
Grace - Steak/American
St Emilion - French
There are other upscale steakhouse chains and such, but if you want something local any of the above would be great choices

Other:
Heim - Barbecue
Cane Rosso - Authentic Neapolitan pizza
Pacific Table - Seafood/American
Fixe - Southern (from Austin)
Rise - Souffles/French
Salsa Limon - Taqueria food, best tacos and tortas in town imo

Those are just some quick ones off the top of my head...if you're looking for something more specific or any other feedback from a local, I'm happy to provide it!
Cramp00
Just realized Smoke Pit closed
MW03
AG
Chewy said:

Just for clarification Hell's Half Acre was located where the Water Garden is now in Downtown. White Elephant has plenty of history beyond all the hats of people that have been there. Its also where the Ewing's would go drinking when they visited Fort Worth and Walker Texas Ranger grabbed a drink or two.

Another option if you're looking for something a little different is Magnolia Avenue just south of Downtown and the Med Center. Ellerbe's and Lili's Bistro are really good. Cat City Grill is also pretty solid. Recommend reservations. Magnolia has some dessert and wine/drink places to hit after dinner.

Another place in the Stockyards is H3 Steakhouse. It's pretty reasonable. You can sit in a saddle at the bar drinking a Buffalo Butt brewed in Fort Worth.

No kidding. Learn something new everyday.
Matsui
AG
Wishbone and flynt
Tinnies
Gemmelle
Woodshed smokehouse
Bonnells

AgBQ-00
AG
Many great recommendations in this thread. Wife and I really like Lonesome Dove. Also St Emilion. Is Little Red Wasp still around?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
FDT 1999
AG
Joe T. Garcia's!

(ducking)
gomerschlep
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Here's a reply I made on the food board a little while back:

Depends on what you're looking for...here are some ideas, and I'm sure others will have more:

Upscale:
Reata - Texas/western/ranch fare, common recommendation for visitors
Waters - Best seafood
Bonnell's - Steakhouse specializing in game meats
Clay Pigeon - Eclectic
Grace - Steak/American
St Emilion - French
There are other upscale steakhouse chains and such, but if you want something local any of the above would be great choices

Other:
Heim - Barbecue
Cane Rosso - Authentic Neapolitan pizza
Pacific Table - Seafood/American
Fixe - Southern (from Austin)
Rise - Souffles/French
Salsa Limon - Taqueria food, best tacos and tortas in town imo

Those are just some quick ones off the top of my head...if you're looking for something more specific or any other feedback from a local, I'm happy to provide it!
Pretty great list.

I would also add Wishbone and Flynt. It's one of our new favorites.
HarleySpoon
AG
MW03 said:

Chewy said:

No kidding. Learn something new everyday.
Just to add a little color to what Chewy said, the stockyards in most Texas towns were almost always a short ways north of the town center due to prevailing summer winds out of the south. Hell's half acre and the FW stockyards are a good example of this practice.
wbt5845
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Just to add a little color to what Chewy said, the stockyards in most Texas towns were almost always a short ways north of the town center due to prevailing summer winds out of the south. Hell's half acre and the FW stockyards are a good example of this practice.

Amarillo on Line 1
HarleySpoon
AG
wbt5845 said:

HarleySpoon said:

Amarillo on Line 1
The chamber of commerce says they were originally built northwest of the original city center. Are they still there? I know from my adventures in the Panhandle that many of the small towns now have feedlots in every direction.
wbt5845
AG
There's a big one south, between Amarillo and Canyon. They're probably all around town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.