Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best small towns just outside DFW?

8,173 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Springtown12
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cramp00 said:

120k is about 118k > small town

I was joking.
_lefraud_
AG
[Over the line and this post is why you are banned. -Staff]
Canyon99
agchino said:

I wouldn't really classify Midlothian as a small town.

There are two high schools there now and at least one of them is 6a.

That plus the concrete plants

I agree that Midlo is not a small town; however, Midlothian High is 5A and Heritage is 4A.
WestTexasAg
AG
Anyone from Azle? Thoughts on that town, or something that direction?
TexAggee05
AG
I really liked the neighborhoods between Azle and Willow Park along FM1886. I've always heard that traffic on 199 was a ***** through Lake Worth, depending on your commute.
That's all I've got...
YOUR FREEDOM TO BE YOU INCLUDES MY FREEDOM TO BE FREE FROM YOU.
- ANDREW WILKOW
Phat32
AG
The exact opposite of the intent of this thread is HP.

Would think the OP is a remote worker looking to get out of the city.
WestTexasAg
AG
yukmonkey said:

I'm in commercial real estate. Can work from home, or just about anywhere. Just looking for a good small town that has good schools.
FarmerAg01
AG
Farmersville is a great town. 4a. Small, quaint town, but on the verge of really taking off. Conveniently located at the intersection of HWY380 and Hwy 78. The Collin county outer loop will be coming through in a few years. School is really good and new superintendent has put a lot of Money into upgrading the campuses. You can be at LOVE field or DFW in about an hour. Still has a great downtown and small town feel.
WestTexasAg
AG
FarmerAg01 said:

Farmersville is a great town. 4a. Small, quaint town, but on the verge of really taking off. Conveniently located at the intersection of HWY380 and Hwy 78. The Collin county outer loop will be coming through in a few years. School is really good and new superintendent has put a lot of Money into upgrading the campuses. You can be at LOVE field or DFW in about an hour. Still has a great downtown and small town feel.
Username checks out.
HarleySpoon
AG
WestTexasAg said:

yukmonkey said:

I'm in commercial real estate. Can work from home, or just about anywhere. Just looking for a good small town that has good schools.
Muenster.
AggieFrog
AG
WestTexasAg said:

Anyone from Azle? Thoughts on that town, or something that direction?

Wife is from Azle. Great small town, but the schools are just okay. We live not far from there in far west Fort Worth and my in laws live just a couple miles south of downtown Azle. If schools are important I'd look more at Aledo. Have one son at Aledo Middle now after having him in private school since 3rd grade and am planning to move at least my youngest to Aledo next year as well.
Rice and Fries
MarkItZero said:

- Gunter is the new Celina

- Celina is the new Prosper

- Prosper is the new Frisco

- Frisco is the new Plano

- Plano is the new Highland Park

- Highland Park is the new Dallas

Do we really believe that west Plano is the new highland park? I will say, there's a house that's been on the market for 2 days right down our street - had an open house with at least 50 groups showing up. No joke, I walked my dogs by cause my wife told me to look at the line of people.
GAC06
AG
No, we do not believe that. HP is the old HP. Plano got bypassed by new swaths of suburbs.
YouBet
AG
Rice and Fries said:

MarkItZero said:

Do we really believe that west Plano is the new highland park? I will say, there's a house that's been on the market for 2 days right down our street - had an open house with at least 50 groups showing up. No joke, I walked my dogs by cause my wife told me to look at the line of people.

If I was the owner, I would sit in a chair in the middle of the living room and let the potential buyers petition me with their best offer.

Commence bidding war.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
We live in Brock and enjoy it. I had a 25 min commute when we moved there...but then oil and gas fell apart and I received an offer I couldn't pass up...now commuting 64 miles one way to Euless.

So my advice is to place yourself not so far out if you have a commute. We wouldn't have moved to Brock if we knew where my new job would be.
powerbelly
AG
Rice and Fries said:

MarkItZero said:

No
Ag CPA
AG
30 years ago Plano was the "new HP"; those under 40 should google heroin and Plano for some background on the money sloshing around there back in the day before it became a first-ring 'burb.
YouBet
AG
Ag CPA said:

30 years ago Plano was the "new HP"; those under 40 should google heroin and Plano for some background on the money sloshing around there back in the day before it became a first-ring 'burb.
I remember the big heroin embrolio in Plano, but I'm not sure why anyone would compare Plano to HP.

Apples and trucks.
akaggie05
AG
Exactly. I grew up in N Dallas during the Plano heroin epidemic. It wasn't so much "money sloshing around" as it was kids coming home from school to an empty house where both parents were at work, where there also happened to be no shortage of money and bad influences that led to drugs.

HP is a different ballgame. Lots of old money and all the pros and cons that come with that.
Ag CPA
AG
You are both right, HP is old money and the burbs are new, my point was that, back in the day, Plano resembled what you now see in Frisco, it's not like wealth, old or new, just jumped over from HP and North Dallas to Frisco.
Springtown12
AG
Springtown, Decatur, Weatherford and Aledo are all good towns if you're looking to live west of the metroplex and have a little land. The problem is though that they are growing VERY fast. Springtown used to be a "small" town but there are houses popping up everywhere there these days. Schools at each of those towns are good.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.