Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best small towns just outside DFW?

8,164 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Springtown12
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which town gets your vote? Schools being a factor in the discussion.
cc_ag92
AG
How far outside? How small is small?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Aledo (west) and Heath (east) are 75 miles apart. Might want to narrow down DFW a bit too.
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
my better half's family is all from Wise County... and I seriously think people lose IQ points the longer they are there.

And I'm from Andrews since you're another West Texas guy!
SuzyQ06
Glen Rose is fantastic.

But what is your criteria for "small" and "outside"?

Godley is pretty good too. They've come a long way from 2A back country hicks to I think a large 3A with great schools.

Joshua has made huge improvements too. Cleburne, is my hometown, and when offered the chance to move back, I went to Mansfield.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
DFW almost reaches Oklahoma (slight exaggeration), so... Durant?
Buford Tannen
AG
Granbury
The Collective
AG
I'd vote Granbury or Aledo. Both have pretty quick access to Fort Worth. FTR, I don't live in either town.
WestTexasAg
AG
cc_ag92 said:

How far outside? How small is small?
Hour or so out. Smaller school - 4A or smaller.
MarkItZero
AG
- Gunter is the new Celina

- Celina is the new Prosper

- Prosper is the new Frisco

- Frisco is the new Plano

- Plano is the new Highland Park

- Highland Park is the new Dallas
ursusguy
AG
Quinlan

I like the Poetry area

cadetjay02
AG
For that category I really like Gunter. Good schools that are currently a 3A with a little over 800 total students. Land around there isn't cheap but it's near Sherman and close to all the stuff going on in Collin County. It's got a really good golf course if that's your thing. It's close to Lake Texoma and Lake Ray Roberts.
It would also be a good investment because here in about 10-20 years Prosper and Celina will be filled up and you can sell for a tidy profit.
It doesn't have the best restaurant scene but it does have a quality donut store. Celina, a little ways to the south actually has a really solid restaurants.
Cramp00
I know a couple people who commute to dfw from muenster. Also not cheap but land is available. Far enough from dfw/I35 that it won't get the population boom of many closer towns.
cc_ag92
AG
I'm still guessing a little because I'm not sure where to start counting that hour (downtown Dallas or the outskirts of the suburbs), but I pulled the most recent [url=https://realignment.uiltexas.org/alignments/2020/4AD1FB2020.pdf]UIL basketball alignment[/url] for 4A.

I would consider Anna, Argyle, and Melissa to the north of Dallas.

Athens might be a little further away than you wanted, but it depends on where you start that hour.
Community ISD is east, but on the fringe.

You need to do some research on projected growth, though, if you want the town/district to stay small. You might start here to see if TEA designates the district as fast growing.
a.froman
AG
Argyle is wonderful as a big 4a now but they will be 5a in the next 4 years.Gunter has become popular for anyone working Plano/Frisco corridor, Brock is a great city if you work in FW, You have towns like Ponder and Krum as well. Not a bunch of great options south of Dallas maybe Grandview for south FW. Also have towns like Melissa and Celina but I have a feeling they will eventually get to 5a status in the next few years. I have known others who lived in Paradise, Boyd, Aubrey, Pilot Point and Springtown as well while working in the Metroplex but I don't know a bunch about those schools though.
WestTexasAg
AG
Thanks for all of the replies. We actually have some cousins that live in Grandview. It's a consideration.
fightinags2013
AG
Do people not like Midlothian anymore?
10andBOUNCE
AG
We're building a home in Grandview. Haven't spent much time there yet but anytime we tell someone they say we'll love it and the schools are great. I think the location is pretty good being at 35 and 67.
Scar Tissue
AG
Glen Rose, Granbury, Brock
agchino
AG
I wouldn't really classify Midlothian as a small town.

There are two high schools there now and at least one of them is 6a.

That plus the concrete plants
Ag CPA
AG
Granbury is the meth capital of Texas. Having grown up near Canyon Lake, I've noticed that lakes seem to be a large draw for trailer trash (or lakies as we used to call them).

If you are looking in that direction, maybe consider Glen Rose, has a relatively high standard of living thanks to Comanche Peak.
turfaggie24
AG
That's what I did! Really hope that toll road gets built up by me soon.

Gunter, Muenster, Grandview, Brock are all solid small towns with great schools.

Outside of that I would look at Quinlan, Van Alstyne, Crandall, Pilot Point, Godley, and Joshua.
Sueshade10
AG
SuzyQ06 said:

Glen Rose is fantastic.

But what is your criteria for "small" and "outside"?

Godley is pretty good too. They've come a long way from 2A back country hicks to I think a large 3A with great schools.

Joshua has made huge improvements too. Cleburne, is my hometown, and when offered the chance to move back, I went to Mansfield.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
ursusguy said:

Quinlan

I like the Poetry area

I second Poetry. My wife and I bought four acres there and planned to build a house after retirement. Poetry has sandy soil and beautiful post oak trees. But, the grandkids moved to Lucas and we moved to Fairview which we love.

On a side note about Frisco. About 40 years ago, I worked with a man who donated hundreds if not thousands of his inherited acres in Frisco to the City to use for expansion and development. I can't imagine the value of that land today. At least he got a street named after him which most Frisco residents should know: Claiborne Rolater.
cadetjay02
AG
I live near Rolater, what's the correct pronunciation?

A strong O with a strong A like Roe-later
Or a soft O and soft A like rahl-Uh-ter

Or something different altogether?
_lefraud_
AG
Are youth and/or HS sports a factor?

Brock or Glen Rose. Although Brock will explode like Aledo did in no time at all.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I live near Rolater, what's the correct pronunciation?

A strong O with a strong A like Roe-later
Or a soft O and soft A like rahl-Uh-ter

Or something different altogether?
It's Rahl-uh-ter. It's funny that you mentioned that because Claiborne told me about going into a 7-Eleven in Frisco, shortly after the street was named, where the two clerks were discussing how to pronounce Rolater. He tried to correct the one who was using the Roe-later pronunciation but the guy wouldn't believe him. That is, until Claiborne wrote him a check and he saw his name. He just said, "oh, I guess you do know how to pronounce it".

Claiborne was the Accounts Payable Manager at E-Systems in Garland where I worked as a Facilities Engineer. He was a very nice guy who never regretted giving all that land to Frisco, which is now both residential and commercial properties.
YouBet
AG
WestTexasAg said:

Which town gets your vote? Schools being a factor in the discussion.
I love Glen Rose, but it's going to be >1h30m away during commute times to Dallas proper.

Also completely depends on where you are working in DFW. Where are you commuting to assuming that's the premise here?

That would completely change where you should look.

aggieSO
Glen Rose
Stephenville
Dublin
Weatherford (for now)

Do you want towns or suburbs?
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
A little more expensive to live in and closer to Dallas than a lot of the other towns mentioned, but I think Sunnyvale could fit the bill. Lots of new homes being built and some new shops/restaurants going in but barely a 4A HS and will probably always be in that classification. Kind of a mix between a suburb feel and a rural feel depending on what part of town you're in. Not everybody's cup of tea but just wanted to put it out there since I haven't seen it mentioned.
aggiepanic95
AG
there are none. look in houston.
BQ19
AG
aggiepanic95 said:

I would think the exact opposite. Houston is a much larger, homogenous metro area than DFW. I can't think of any small town outside of Houston with a short enough drive worth living in
Danny Vermin
I guess it depends on which part of Granbury. My folks live in Pecan Plantation and I would put that up against any of the high tone areas like Southlake and Highland Park. They have their own runway and golf course among many other things.

Let me also add its tough to get through the gates unless you are verified by someone who lives there with no exceptions.
YouBet
AG
BQ19 said:

aggiepanic95 said:

I would think the exact opposite. Houston is a much larger, homogenous metro area than DFW. I can't think of any small town outside of Houston with a short enough drive worth living in
Um, dude? Beaumont?
Cramp00
120k is about 118k > small town
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.