Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best way to drive- North TX to Denver CO area

3,921 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gomerschlep
jdubd34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading from the Denison area to Denver/ Estes Park Friday.

It looks like going through Wichita Falls/ Amarillo is about the same travel time as going through OKC up to I-70 in Kansas.

Is one way a better/ easier drive? I'm guessing it's a more pleasant drive going through Amarillo and then up through southern Colorado on I-25.
FincAg
AG
That is our preferred route. Check construction at 25 in Raton. We drove through around 3am without a breeze, but coming back at 3pm was annoying.
Ag CPA
AG
287/87 is divided 4-lane all the way to Raton where you get on I25, it's an easy drive. We venture off of 87 between Amarillo and Hartley to shave off some miles and time when we go to Angel Fire, but even that stretch has passing lanes.
powerbelly
AG
I much prefer going through NM. The Kansas route is terribly boring.
bthotugigem05
AG
Did that drive recently up through Amarillo and Raton, easy drove except for some construction northbound after CSprings.
Proposition Joe
Just returned from Vail. Went 287 to I25. I'm sure driving out on a Thursday and back on a Wednesday helped, but I could have made that drive in my sleep.

Bonus is there's actually some stuff to see going the NM route -- Kansas and Oklahoma are just an incredibly boring drive.
jdubd34
AG
Thanks all for the responses, I figured going through OK and KS would be boring, so we'll definitely be going through Amarillo and Raton.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've made the drive a lot, and greatly prefer Raton to Kansas. Unless there is big weather Raton is greatly preferred. Even then, I'd rather take 287 all the way until it hits 70 just west of Denver.
Phat32
AG
Do not go through Kansas unless you hate life.
Decay
AG
I say I am glad I've driven through Kansas once. College road trip to see us play Nebraska.

I grew up in Florida so I thought I'd seen flat... But Kansas is literally the flattest land I'd ever seen. Miles and miles and miles. Like driving on a mathematic plane surface. Yes it's boring but it's almost... Impressively boring?

So if you drive out there 10 times, make one of them Kansas. The other 9 stay the hell away.
FincAg
AG
It is also a huge tease, the drive through Kansas. You see the mountains for like 5 hours and it feels like you will never get there.
BanderaAg956
Stay on the roads!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
wbt5845
AG
And I personally prefer going around Amarillo on the 335 loop, getting on US 87/287 north to Dumas, getting off and taking US 87 west until it turns northwest at Hartley. It's a few miles shorter to take backroads on the west side of Amarillo to get to US 385, but being all 2 lane roads, it only takes one grandma driver to clog things up.
Ag CPA
AG
I think BanderaAg took a wrong turn to the Politics board.
gomerschlep
AG
Raton pass FTW
10andBOUNCE
AG
Yeah I drove 287 to 25 probably 20 times the last few years and never once considered going through Kansas. Got stuck in a blizzard situation in Dalhart once and that was an adventure.

Also, if you're early enough Rudy's breakfast tacos in Amarillo are muy bueno.
dcAg
Definitely Amarillo - Raton
txaggiefarmer05
AG
No ones mentioned it here, but the last few years I've started staying on 287 through Dumas all the way to Limon, then hitting 70 to Denver. Nothing but a few towns, it's mainly a truck route and only two lanes so you have to pass trucks often. One cop in at least 4 round trips. And rough highway in Oklahoma, but it's only the Panhandle.
The Pilot
AG
txaggiefarmer05 said:

No ones mentioned it here, but the last few years I've started staying on 287 through Dumas all the way to Limon, then hitting 70 to Denver. Nothing but a few towns, it's mainly a truck route and only two lanes so you have to pass trucks often. One cop in at least 4 round trips. And rough highway in Oklahoma, but it's only the Panhandle.
The Lamar option sucks because of the two-lane road segments and general lack of scenic views. But it is a good option if winter conditions might close Raton pass.
ChoppinDs40
AG
that traffic through Colorado Springs to Denver SUCKS right now.

You're going through off-season though. Last we drove up was a Saturday before spring break. We lost a solid hour through there.
The Pilot
AG
It's hit/miss for sure. Just drove thru there yesterday southbound and it wasn't bad at all.
harge57
AG
Going back and forth to wyoming it always depends on when I'm going to hit that colorado springs to fort Collins stretch. I try to time that late night or early am. If I'm going to hit traffic I take the loop through Limon.
aggolfer
AG
txaggiefarmer05 said:

I've looked at that route and looks like you better be packing some gas cans. Didn't see anything by way of towns on that route
The Pilot
AG
aggolfer said:

txaggiefarmer05 said:

I've looked at that route and looks like you better be packing some gas cans. Didn't see anything by way of towns on that route
What size tank do you have, 2 gallon? Stratford, Boise City, Springfield, Lamar, Limon should give you plenty of options to stop for gas.
gomerschlep
AG
I mean, it's not like we're traveling the perimeter of Africa in a modified Jeep
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.