Metroplex
Sponsored by

Relo to Grand Prairie Area?

5,703 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JonSnow
Austintm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
powerbelly said:

Austintm said:

CapCityAg89 said:

agchino said:

If he's living at Joe Pool and commuting to North Grand Prairie, he's going to be sitting in traffic every morning and evening. I live in Colleyville and commute to South Grand Prairie and it is a reverse commute from that perspective. I'm going opposite the traffic each way.

So I idid my first week in GP. Stayed in an apartment in East Ft Worth (such weird borders) so about a 7 minute commute.

I did go to Grapevine to one evening (meeting at 5) and coppell (hard 8 BBQ - good for DFW). And this comment is accurate. I'm never really saw traffic. Undoubtedly partially COVID but still looked good.

I still think my vote is grapevine and it's gifted program. We will see about TAG. issue there is getting a chance to apply without a hard commit to Dallas proper.
Not to hijack the thread (and hope you find the right place to live), but a Hard No on Hard 8. Not good for DFW. Maybe for Minnesota. Here's a good discussion of their process (and 'que): https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/hard-eight-bbq-2015/

I love when the bbq snobs show up
Except that I'm not. My parents have live din Glen Rose for many years, so I went to teh original in Stephenville several times, when they actually cooked the bbq over the coals, and it was good. Now what they serve is done to crank out as much as possible (and I'm ok with making money). NOt a snob, but I know the difference between good bbq and bad.
powerbelly
AG
Austintm said:

powerbelly said:

Austintm said:

CapCityAg89 said:

agchino said:

If he's living at Joe Pool and commuting to North Grand Prairie, he's going to be sitting in traffic every morning and evening. I live in Colleyville and commute to South Grand Prairie and it is a reverse commute from that perspective. I'm going opposite the traffic each way.

So I idid my first week in GP. Stayed in an apartment in East Ft Worth (such weird borders) so about a 7 minute commute.

I did go to Grapevine to one evening (meeting at 5) and coppell (hard 8 BBQ - good for DFW). And this comment is accurate. I'm never really saw traffic. Undoubtedly partially COVID but still looked good.

I still think my vote is grapevine and it's gifted program. We will see about TAG. issue there is getting a chance to apply without a hard commit to Dallas proper.
Not to hijack the thread (and hope you find the right place to live), but a Hard No on Hard 8. Not good for DFW. Maybe for Minnesota. Here's a good discussion of their process (and 'que): https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/hard-eight-bbq-2015/

I love when the bbq snobs show up
Except that I'm not. My parents have live din Glen Rose for many years, so I went to teh original in Stephenville several times, when they actually cooked the bbq over the coals, and it was good. Now what they serve is done to crank out as much as possible (and I'm ok with making money). NOt a snob, but I know the difference between good bbq and bad.
Thanks for making my point.
Saxsoon
AG
I am going to be in a similar situation. 30, single male, working in GP. Where is a fun area to live without a terrible commute (less than 30 minutes preferably, might be willing to push. Trying to keep my rent under 1000 if possible.
agchino
AG
Most of the younger single people at work live in Uptown Dallas, again it's a reverse commute on I30, and I think can be done in about 30 minutes most days.
Saxsoon
AG
agchino said:

Most of the younger single people at work live in Uptown Dallas, again it's a reverse commute on I30, and I think can be done in about 30 minutes most days.
I will look into it! Appreciate it.

I am currently in El Paso and been told I can work virtual through the year so I am not in an immediate rush to get out there.
PatAg
AG
agchino said:

Not sure you are doing that for less than $1000
dcAg
Grand Prairie? UGH...
CapCityAg89
AG
Ok. Quick resurrection for a specific question: what do people think about Arlington Martin. There's a house right in the lake (with boat dock) that looks fun but zoned for Martin. Thoughts?
_lefraud_
AG
Martin is one of the more desirable HS within Arlington ISD. Of course that's relative but Martin has a solid reputation for good academics, good athletics. Some really good neighborhoods zoned for Martin.

Disclosure, we are zoned for Martin, just south of the lake. Kids (younger) go to Kennedale but we like having the option of Martin when they get there.
CapCityAg89
AG
Ah man. I don't think I could live near you. We'd have to watch hoops together and you'd get pissed at my goal tending.
_lefraud_
AG
As long as you're not a LeBron, Duke or Billy Kennedy fan, we will get along just fine.
CapCityAg89
AG
Well ok then. I did find myself goal tending for BK occasionally although not really a fan. TTM though - I loved that guy.
CapCityAg89
AG
And where do you play golf around there? I've seen you on that board too.
_lefraud_
AG
Texas Rangers (near 30), Tierra Verde (down 287) and Lake Arlington (closest) are all good options, with Lake Arlington being the most affordable. Arlington residents get a discount and I usually play during the week.

Tangle Ridge, Mansfield National and Prairie Lakes are all decent options too.
CapCityAg89
Cramp00
Is Martin HS better than Kennedale?
Hincemm
AG
Tierra verde is a great course
_lefraud_
AG
I certainly don't know from experience. I prefer the smaller, one HS town feel of Kennedale, it's what I know. While the wife grew up going to a larger school like Martin. Kids are in elementary, and while we plan for them to continue through Kennedale, it's nice having Martin as an option down the road, as we've heard good things.
CapCityAg89
AG
So my daughter and I were really impressed by a house on Pennsylvania this past weekend. It's KHS only though (and she could bike it when it's not 1000 degrees). Have you heard any scoop? I love that it's 1000 kids (250/class) but evaluations are odd.

Side comment: anyone have a house they're thinking about selling? This market in the new year is insane low inventory.
wbt5845
AG
I have co-workers who had kids go to Martin and Kennedale. They're both good schools. Kennedale is much smaller, which isn't really a bad thing. Martin is huge, but lots of opportunities. And that's where Myles Garrett went to high school, so there's that...
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, Pennsylvania is nice, and anything on Bowman Springs really. How big of house do you need/want? Are you currently using a realtor?
Cramp00
The new one at the bottom of the hill? We're in Oakhill Park. My wife went to Martin and wanted to buy in Kennedale bc it's smaller and landlocked. I graduated with a class of 36, so I had little to add to the conversation. Sidewalks, nature preserve and many parks very close make it kid very friendly. Pay for my stars and PM me.
CapCityAg89
AG
Yep. That's it. I'll PM but dude - star is 3 bucks.

We liked the less claustrophobic feel of Kennedale and that house backs to the preserve so quiet. Kinda worried about traffic on Pennsylvania but would spend most time out back. Only real concern is ability to put in a pool.
Cramp00
Happy to answer any questions I can. Kids are in daycare so can't comment on schools.
CapCityAg89
AG
Work in FW?
Cramp00
When we moved here in 2012 the wife commuted to West FW and me to Grand Prairie - nice middle ground & cant get closer to 20. Since the covids we're both transitioned to working from home full time.
_lefraud_
AG
email me Cramp, got some questions for you.

lefraud.texags @ g
CapCityAg89
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Texas Rangers (near 30), Tierra Verde (down 287) and Lake Arlington (closest) are all good options, with Lake Arlington being the most affordable. Arlington residents get a discount and I usually play during the week.

Tangle Ridge, Mansfield National and Prairie Lakes are all decent options too.

Whelp. Bought a house off Bowen - just north of Wimbledon Park. So no house stuff this weekend and got a round in at Lake Arlington. Fun - although I shot 39 (missed short birdie on 9) - 47 (four doubles) on the back. I hate that. Fun course. I'll probably try Tierra Verde on my next opportunity.
_lefraud_
AG
Congrats on the house! I've got some passes I need to use out at Tangle Ridge if you're interested.
JonSnow
Lakeridge area near Joe Pool is a beautiful area.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.